Private Check Ride

I've only felt 100% prepared once, but if your instructor signed you off, they feel you're ready. That should be what counts.

Only checkride I ever busted, I walked in thinking I knew it all....

Being nervous will help make you study. Just remember, if you don't know it by the morning of the ride, you probably won't get it by cramming at the last minute....

I don't think anybody feels truly prepared. How could you when you don't know what to expect. In the greater scheme of things, you will later find that it was no big deal. That being said, this is what I can tell you-

1. Don't study after tommorrow, take all of Sunday off from thinking about the Monday checkride,

2. aside from the PTS prep, more importantly the examiner is going to test your response to a variety of stressful conditions in order to see how you react (i.e. overlapping request's so that you can't finish one before he gives you another),

3. when you get confused or frustrated, just RELAX, BREATH, DO NOT GET MAD and REMEMBER to first AVIATE, then COMMUNICATE, then NAVIGATE,

4. SAY IT AGAIN AND AGAIN, AVIATE, COMMUNICATE, and NAVIGATE,

5.your instructor should not sign you off if you were not ready, and

6. Congratulations on your achievements!

Does anybody ever feel 100% prepared?

Probably not. Such a wide range of things to know. My oral was an hour and a half. I think some guys just keep asking questions tougher and tougher until you finally don't know an answer...then the DPE says, lets go fly!!

Good luck, relax,

Goldy

I thought it was aviate, navigate, then communicate?

My bad, I think your right. I remember my dpe kept harping on me to do things out of order, and I had to tell myself Aviate first (fly the aircraft), then Navigate (pay attention to not bust airspace), and then communicate. I guess I've gotton a little rusty! Thanks

I thought it was aviate, navigate, then communicate?

:lol: yeah, when the WHOLE point of the phrase you're quoting is the order, you probably want to get that order right?! <_>

Good on ya to fess up there Carpenter, ;) now go write on the board 100 times,

AVIATE, NAVIGATE,
then
COMMUNICATE
!!

It's a good tool for quickly triaging a situation and managing priorities.

Better yet, read this... Driven to Distraction

As the article says, "The main thing is to take care of the main thing".

FIRST - Aviate - keep the aircraft under control, or there wont be a next thing.

SECOND - Navigate - figure out where you need to go. Is that staying on course, back out the way you came, to the nearest airport, or do you need to put it down in that last clear spot you picked out? (You are always looking out for the best place to put it, right?)

THIRD - Communicate - if you have enough time and processor cycles left over after one & two, tell someone about your predicament. It's nice to know the cavalry is on the way! But don't drop the aircraft to fly the radio, don't quit flying the aircraft!

Another old cliché is, "Flying the aircraft is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding it." Here's a bunch more: Great Aviation Quotes: Clichés. Some of those gems could save your life!

Oh... and good luck on Monday V, you'll do fine!

Vindicated- You posted it, so now you have to confess. What happened? How did you do? Do we chastise you for not studying hard enough, being too nervous or do we tell you congratulations, we all knew you could do it.

We on VR don't like to be left hanging!!!

Goldy

Ground was 3 hours of fairly tough questions, but I did really good (So my instructor and examiner said). I was glad I studied like a crazy man. After flying with the examiner for a minute or two I was feeling calm and spot on. I executed my maneuvers better than I normally did. My auto was real clean and directly on the spot ("commercial standards"), Cross country found my check points no problem, all the other maneuvers were ok too, everything was going great. Except when I was doing my confined earlier in the flight. I did my high reconnaissance and my low reconnaissance set up the approach great. EXCEPT it was the PERFECT approach with the PERFECT TAIL WIND. I had an ATIS with winds at 120, I was being stupid and nervous and set up the approach backwards with 120 right up my ass.

EPIC fail..I failed...I suck...I'm pretty discouraged right now

Shake it off, man. You just said yourself you aced 99% of the practical test. Momentary brain farts happen, especially on your private pilot. I did a perfect... I mean FLAWLESS shallow approach and run-on landing on my PP exam... to the WRONG taxiway.

Next time, you definitely won't make that mistake. And I'm not saying that to be funny. In fact, I'd wager that through the rest of your training, if not your career, you'll ALWAYS know where the wind is. Mistakes are generally a good thing in this type of situation. Every wrong answer, every sloppy maneuver I've ever executed on a checkride has resulted in a more effective lesson than anything my CFI could ever do with me.

Go drink a beer, and then tomorrow, go fly some more. You've GOT to get back on the horse that bucks you.

edited to add: A neat trick I learned in instrument is to verbalize EVERYTHING you're doing and that you're about to do. It makes you use all your brain, and you're less apt to do something that just doesn't sound right. Plus it makes you look damn good to the DPE.

Edited by ADRidge

Someone I know very well completed his Private Checkride on his 17th birthday with a perfect DOWNWIND approach to the ramp. Whoops! He now has nearly 5000hrs and flies EMS. Agree with ADRidge...drink a beer, shake it off and know that it's burned into your brain forever :) It'll be a short re-do!

K, so talk it over with your CFI, and go retake that portion of the checkride. It will take you all of 30 minutes and you will have your cert. Tomorrow no one will care if it took you one, two or three tries, all that will matter is you will have your cert. Dirty little secret, I've known a few CFI's that failed their instrument rides the first time and had to take it twice. It happens.

Dont make me go up there and kick some *ss.

Good luck,

Goldy

adridge has a very good point... shake it off and be ready for the retest! my private checkride was going great til the confined landing. perfect recon & landing. then for the max-p out of there. forgot to put the carb heat down and he tore me a new one. but you can bet that i will never forget to put that damn carb heat down again before a max-p!

[quote name='Vindicated0721' date='16 June 2010 - 08:38' timestamp

I failed my Commercial on the first try (turned too soon on the 180). After kicking myself for while, we went up again, and I passed no problem. The whole thing lasted about 5min. Pretty expencive f-up though! <_<

Afterwards my instructor told me how he failed his CFi test on the first try. He let the throttle roll up a bit on the hover auto. His re-test took less than a minute, but he was kicking himself for a lot longer! :huh:

'Sh@t Happens' dude, don't beat yourself up too much, it happens to us all, at some point. ;)

Someone I know very well completed his Private Checkride on his 16th birthday with a perfect DOWNWIND approach to the runway. Whoops! He now has nearly 5000hrs and flies EMS. Agree with ADRidge...drink a beer, shake it off and know that it's burned into your brain forever :) It'll be a short re-do!

Would that be Mr. H? ;)

Thank you all for the words of encouragement.. I retook today and passed! Now on to instrument.

Right on! Congratulations..

Edited by Goldy

Awesome, as it should be...CONGRATS Vindicated!

Instrument is tedious at first but it makes you a much more precise pilot. I've seen my student really benefit from it quickly.

Hit it hard...onward and upward!

Would that be Mr. H? ;)

Haha, Mr. H indeed :P

Thank you all for the words of encouragement.. I retook today and passed! Now on to instrument.

Congrats!!! "every storm ridden through makes us a better captain of our soul"... Great experiences and learning situations will not only benefit you, but many others that follows.

Cheers

Rotorrodent