Hey all current and future WO's

Well I figure it's about time to stop creeping on y'all and introduce myself. My name is Chase, I'm 24 and from Texas, and I came across this site about 5 months ago and it's been a wealth of knowledge. Between y'all and kiowapilots I've really been able to get the ball rolling and headed in the right direction. I am 7 months post PRK and seeing 20/15 so I'm pretty excited about that. I go to take my ASVAB and entrance physical next Friday hopefully if my new ID comes in by then. Other then that just working on getting in best shape as I can, and finishing up my associates degree. I'm also a fixed wing commercial pilot with my instrument rating. So greetings everyone and hope I can help contribute to this already great group y'all have here.

And just on a side note, Lindsey if the board doesn't pick you on their next go around the Army truly doesn't know what they are missing out on.

Well I figure it's about time to stop creeping on y'all and introduce myself. My name is Chase, I'm 24 and from Texas, and I came across this site about 5 months ago and it's been a wealth of knowledge. Between y'all and kiowapilots I've really been able to get the ball rolling and headed in the right direction. I am 7 months post PRK and seeing 20/15 so I'm pretty excited about that. I go to take my ASVAB and entrance physical next Friday hopefully if my new ID comes in by then. Other then that just working on getting in best shape as I can, and finishing up my associates degree. I'm also a fixed wing commercial pilot with my instrument rating. So greetings everyone and hope I can help contribute to this already great group y'all have here.

And just on a side note, Lindsey if the board doesn't pick you on their next go around the Army truly doesn't know what they are missing out on.

Whoa, thanks for the compliment! Ahem, now if you'd just all like to run on down to USAREC and tell them the same thing... :lol:

I'm submitting my packet around September/October, so I have a few more months still. Good luck on everything and definitely keep us updated! From my observations, it seems flight time is something the board appears to be favoring heavily...which doesn't bode well in my favor, but it definitely does in yours.

So ya like your PRK, huh? Nice. I chose LASIK, and am also seeing 20/15. Amazing procedures, the both of them!

-Lindsey

Yea I'm loving the PRK. It was a tough and lengthy process but I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. I couldn't go the lasik route because my vision was too bad.

But I'm pretty excited about the whole process, especially after resding that post that they picked 34 out of the 36 applicants!

On another note, is the secret service clearance a long process? Is it something I can and should get started on now?

Things to start getting ready for the secret clearance packet :

1.) Places you have lived the last 7 years (to include dates, addresses, and phone numbers)

2.) Referencing a different individual for each address, other than family, who has known you at each living address (you will need addresses of those individuals and phone numbers)

3.) Places you have worked the last 7 years (to include company phone numbers, addresses, and references for points of contact)

It is a pain in the arse process, but if you can get most of the information together ahead of time, it will make it that much easier when you go to put your packet together.

Yea I'm loving the PRK. It was a tough and lengthy process but I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. I couldn't go the lasik route because my vision was too bad.

But I'm pretty excited about the whole process, especially after resding that post that they picked 34 out of the 36 applicants!

On another note, is the secret service clearance a long process? Is it something I can and should get started on now?

Your recruiter will let you know what information you need and he/she will get the process going. What they will give you, even if you do not have the full security clearance, is an interim security clearance which will allow you to still go to BCT while the security clearance is making its way through.

...I chose LASIK, and am also seeing 20/15. Amazing procedures, the both of them!

-Lindsey

I am not an Amry aviator, nor do I work as a pilot professionally (just fly for fun), but I had LASIK & if I could do it again, I'd chose not to. Although my vision is 20/20, my near vision is worse & is very blurry (& it is harder to read the maps in the cockpit). Prior to LASIK, my near vision was good. So, I was not too happy about that & hope you didn't get that side effect!

I am not an Amry aviator, nor do I work as a pilot professionally (just fly for fun), but I had LASIK & if I could do it again, I'd chose not to. Although my vision is 20/20, my near vision is worse & is very blurry (& it is harder to read the maps in the cockpit). Prior to LASIK, my near vision was good. So, I was not too happy about that & hope you didn't get that side effect!

Hmm...did you just get the procedure done recently? I had near vision issues the first week after surgery, which is NORMAL. It cleared up after that, and since then I have had zero issues.

That sucks that you have near vision issues! I sympathize, and agree that LASIK and PRK is not something to be taken lightly! Research the hell out of it - it is your eyes! Go to the best place possible (not saying that you didn't, klas). Network - find people that have had successful procedures and ask where they had it done - and realize that everyone's eyes are different, and there is always the possibility of it not being completely successful (i.e. 20/20 w/ no side effects).

Have you spoken to your surgeon about your near vision, klas? Hope it works out for you, and it's not too bad!

-L

Hmm...did you just get the procedure done recently? I had near vision issues the first week after surgery, which is NORMAL. It cleared up after that, and since then I have had zero issues. ...

-L

I had it done 9 yrs ago. And, unfortunately, the near vision has gotten worse - as our eyes tend to do in general as we age.

Things to start getting ready for the secret clearance packet :

1.) Places you have lived the last 7 years (to include dates, addresses, and phone numbers)

2.) Referencing a different individual for each address, other than family, who has known you at each living address (you will need addresses of those individuals and phone numbers)

3.) Places you have worked the last 7 years (to include company phone numbers, addresses, and references for points of contact)

It is a pain in the arse process, but if you can get most of the information together ahead of time, it will make it that much easier when you go to put your packet together.

FYI,

I was recently told by a recruiter they now go back 10 years for secret. Whether that's accurate or not, who knows...

FYI,

I was recently told by a recruiter they now go back 10 years for secret. Whether that's accurate or not, who knows...

Either way, they still use the SF-86, so just look for the most recent form you can find.