First Test Pilot Gig (headers on a robby!)

Happy to say that I can now put test pilot on my resume, flew for the guys at powerflow exhaust systems who are making a tuned exhaust for the R22 Beta.

I'll let the video speak for it self, any questions just ask. And I can attest to all their claims, it's amazing but the exhaust really works and gives you more power.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PFSInfo

And don't mind the ghetto zip tied gps mount in the video, we didn't know the area and had nothing else to use :)

Edited by nikon858

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig... :P

Yes, but it makes my pig look better than your pig!

Looks like a neat product if it doesn't cost that much more than factory exhaust. Any noise reduction benefits to the product?

One last issue. The trans and tail gearbox are only rated for 121 cont. hp.(that number comes from my old brain and the safety course from 4 years ago). So at max MP am I now putting more HP than that into those HP rated parts? If so, they could tend to fail earlier. Maybe the old MP chart in the POH would have to be updated?

Hmm, another thought. Would Lycoming still honor the 2200 hr overhaul with the modified exhaust?

One last issue. The trans and tail gearbox are only rated for 121 cont. hp.(that number comes from my old brain and the safety course from 4 years ago). So at max MP am I now putting more HP than that into those HP rated parts? If so, they could tend to fail earlier. Maybe the old MP chart in the POH would have to be updated?

Hmm, another thought. Would Lycoming still honor the 2200 hr overhaul with the modified exhaust?

The kit comes with a replacement MAP gauge with reduced MAP limits (same as Beta II).

I've heard mixed opinions about it here, someone said it increases power a bit, but also increases fuel burn. No personal experience though.

If I understand this right, the limit manifold pressure (when opertating below the full throttle line) is there to prevent you from producing more horsepower than you should and consequently causing more wear and tear on the motor and other components. Above the full throttle line, the limit is there to prevent you from over pitching the collective and causing rpm decay. So it seems like this could theoretically move the full throttle line up on the limit map chart, but you would still be limited in normal operations just at a new (lower) map setting. The limitation is horsepower (131 five-minute, 124 continuous, from memory), we just read it as manifold pressure.

Also, I didnt notice a cabin heat shroud - AKA carbon monoxide cabin intake... :P

Edited by heli.pilot

Nothing else to use? No terminal/sectional chart? Compass? A local on board? Come on...

We also did some backwards flying, pitot tube doesn't exactly work then. And honestly we had so much instrumentation in the cockpit a chart would have gotten in the way very quickly.

Goldy, I asked powerflow about your overhaul concerns.

" We can’t speak for Lycoming, but our exhausts are going on brand new diamonds and there has never ever been a single issue related to an engine and power flow exhaust that has ever affected warranty or TBO – and we have been doing this for 11 years. Actually, if anything, this allows the engine to work less hard to make power, and that can only be good for TBO."

And yes you do operate to Beta II limits, and on the website it says the kit is ~7k. And you don't have to replace it at 2200 like you would the stock exhaust.

As far as I know I'm the only one in the states that has flown with the system. I did a couple ~1.7 cross countrys with it, definitely had more power(cruised about ~90kias at MCP), didn't have a fuel flow gauge installed so can't speak to the exact fuel burn

Also, I didnt notice a cabin heat shroud - AKA carbon monoxide cabin intake... :P

The exhaust system had a shroud, but the heli didn't have cabin heat, that's why there's some extra orange hoses tied to the frame (had to keep air flowing). As I understand they'll have both versions available. We don't need heat but a few days out of the year in Florida anyways.

Above the full throttle line, the limit is there to prevent you from over pitching the collective and causing rpm decay. So it seems like this could theoretically move the full throttle line up on the limit map chart

The full throttle line is the maximum achievable manifold pressure at a given pressure altitude with the throttle fully open. It can therefor not change, no matter what exhaust you have- it would only change if a super- or turbocharger was installed on the engine.