Hi All,

I am putting together my packet, working on PT and currently studying for AFAST and ASVAB. I have a professional resume that I have used for job searches, but I don't have any actual pilot flight time. Is this going to be a problem? Or should I keep my resume how it is with it pointing out my strengths, my GPA and college degree, etc? I can post part of it but thought I'd check without posting first. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Matthew

EDIT: The reason is not because I wouldn't love to have it, but rather because I cannot afford it. I just graduated from a private college in May and knee deep in student loans. Aside from time flying with friends and an introductory flight, I have nothing else. Didn't want anyone to think that it was because of lack of motivation!

Edited by AirOneMatthew

No, you don't need any flight time as it isn't a requirement for WOFT. As far as I know a regular resume as you would use for any other job is sufficient. I'm in the same boat as you - (some) college, and just a short intro helicopter flight. Focus on test scores, PT!, and getting good letters of recommendation, and you'll do fine.

No flight time here... Ship out March 21st.

Focus on the battalion interview. This is critcal. Be honest, confident, and present yourself in a professional manner.

Letters of Recomendation should have at least two from Army Aviators.

My resume was a standard professional resume.

Your why I want to be a warrant officer paper is also critical.

As far as test scores go, as long as you score 90 on the AFAST, and 110 GT score. You're good as gold. It's just a pass fail kind of thing.

Do a good job on everything. Take your time, and do it right. Then, focus on the Battalion Interview. It is CRUCIAL you nail it.

Edited by JMcDonald

Box and JM,

Thanks for the replies! Got it. I will keep the one I have and alter it just slightly to update it. Meet with the last LASIK surgeon today...picking out a operation date soon! Then a fantastic 6 month waiting period before I'm cleared by a flight surgeon...fantastic (sarcasm).

Cheers,

Matthew

Then a fantastic 6 month waiting period before I'm cleared by a flight surgeon...fantastic (sarcasm).

It's actually three months, not six.

I had my flight physical stamped and approved three months after having PRK performed. Check out this PDF from Rucker Aeromedical, page 16 (flowchart).

Hope this helps.

zVo

It's actually three months, not six.

I had my flight physical stamped and approved three months after having PRK performed. Check out this PDF from Rucker Aeromedical, page 16 (flowchart).

Hope this helps.

zVo

zVo,

You, along with everyone else, are the reason this forum is so awesome. I don't know how I passed over that. THANK YOU!

Cheers,

Matthew

Even though you haven't had your surgery yet I would encourage you to continue to work on your packet. It took me just under a year (with only a small set back) to finally have my packet completely finished and boarded!

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the info. I have a surgery date set for March 9th! Can't wait. I'm going over AFAST study books now. Meeting with a recruiter later in the week to get the ASVAB scheduled.

I'm getting together things for LOR's and I have a quick question here. I worked as an EMT on my college campus and our director is a Ret. Marine Officer. He has agreed to write me a letter but doesn't want to address it as "To Whom It May Concern." He says I need to get a name, or names, for him to address it as or he doesn't feel comfortable doing it. I know for a fact he writes STELLAR letters, so I don't want this one to pass me by. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Yes. Boards tend to be put together with whom they can come up with at the time. If it's a specific problem with the phrase "To whom it may concern", see if he'll go with "To the President of the Board" or something? As a military officer, he should know that there isn't necessarily an absolute individual you can name.

What about addressing it to a program director or administrator? In the business world, when you can't find the hiring manager's info, it doesn't hurt to address cover letters to a CEO or VP-level person, even if you're unlikely to meet them until late in the interview process. Finding somebody relevant to address the letter to shows that it is a personal recommendation, and that you did some research. Just a thought.