"Once you can fly a Robinson, You can fly anything"

R22139RJ

On a blustery, rainy California day, I got to crawl into my fresh flight suit, strap on the 4 point harness, don the helmet, adjust my armor plated seat, grab the stick, feel the war torn wooden throttle (stained with Charlie's blood), put my left foot on the pedal stamped Bell, right on Huey, start up checks complete, pulled the starter trigger, counted to 40...

SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG, BLOW

The sound of 1400Hp winding up, and after that, just another helicopter, minus the seating for 16. If my flight suit was a woman, it would be pregnant.

All bs aside. What an awesome experience! You always hear that the bigger the chopper, the easier to fly and I couldn't agree more. It felt like flying a Caddy. The approach and landing was the smoothest thing I've felt. I didn't even know I was on the ground.

I can't believe I get paid to do this.

• Like 2

I got to do my 3 hours of night for my private going cross country in a Bell 206L4 long ranger for the price of fuel. Not a Huey but still way cool, and yea it was actually a hella easier then the bell 47

• Like 2

Thats awesome. I hope I get to fly a Jetranger someday. It was the first helicopter I rode in when I was a kid. The Huey was the first turbine I've been in my professional career so everything was very new and a little overwhelming. I was a giddy school boy who got his first kiss when I got to hover it!

Im so jealous of people who get to hear a turbine start up on a daily basis.

Pohi, thats wild that you flew a Huey as well. I wonder if our paths crossed in the air, flight of two UH-1Hs?

• Like 2

Doesn't SUCK SQUEEZE BANG BLOW refer to pistons? Either way, nice one mate. I'd love to get to buzz around in one of those beasts!

I said the same thing but the IP told me that. Same theory of producing power, compress air and fuel and go BANG! I teach Intake, Compression, Power, Exhaust for pistons but I agree, cool either way.

• Like 2

SUCK SQUEEZE BANG BLOW refers to the Otto cycle in a piston but I guess that the same wording can apply to a turbine.

Anyway, who cares. You got to fly a huey, lucky b@#$*%d! :P

Edited by Trans Lift
  • Like 2

Doesn't SUCK SQUEEZE BANG BLOW refer to pistons? Either way, nice one mate. I'd love to get to buzz around in one of those beasts!

Could apply to both.

But it would be more accurate to use BURN instead of BANG. You really don't want a bang even in a piston engine.

That is "detonation" which reduces life of the engine.

• Like 1

Could apply to both.

But it would be more accurate to use BURN instead of BANG. You really don't want a bang even in a piston engine.

That is "detonation" which reduces life of the engine.

Since we're picking battles over a saying, you would want it to happen in a piston diesel engine, since it operates on detonation. The glow plugs heat the fuel for initial start up and engine compression causes the fuel to be compressed until it explodes all on its own.

Lighten up anon.

• Like 1

Plus the whole thing just came from the military (English I think) so that guys could remember the cycle because it sounds dirty. I prefer to Bang instead of Burn!!

Just like the good old"True Virgins Make Dull Company" saying, so that we can remember how to get our headings in order!! ;)

On a blustery, rainy California day, I got to crawl into my fresh flight suit, strap on the 4 point harness, don the helmet, adjust my armor plated seat, grab the stick, feel the war torn wooden throttle (stained with Charlie's blood), put my left foot on the pedal stamped Bell, right on Huey, start up checks complete, pulled the starter trigger, counted to 40...

SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG, BLOW

The sound of 1400Hp winding up, and after that, just another helicopter, minus the seating for 16. If my flight suit was a woman, it would be pregnant.

All bs aside. What an awesome experience! You always hear that the bigger the chopper, the easier to fly and I couldn't agree more. It felt like flying a Caddy. The approach and landing was the smoothest thing I've felt. I didn't even know I was on the ground.

I can't believe I get paid to do this.

Congratulations, you've experienced a unique bit of helicopter history. There are helicopters, and then there is "The Huey"- There's absolutely nothing like a Huey. I don't think it's because it's bigger, it is just that it is what it is- a Huey. Got a little time in B models, less stirring the stick of a 214ST, and a thousand or so in the D and H... The B hovered flatter than the D/H, and the ST way more tail low, but the experience is all Huey. The 412 didn't seem as Huey-ish, somehow.

That is some serious time in the Huey! I hope I can rack up the numbers sometime soon. Right now I'm just happy I got an hour in the thing. My goal in the long run is to do utility work so hopefully this will get me some solid experience an employer would like to see.

Something about twin turbines makes me giddy. So let me get this straight, every time you fly that you get to hear a turbine start up TWICE! Lucky Dog.

Something about twin turbines makes me giddy. So let me get this straight, every time you fly that you get to hear a turbine start up TWICE! Lucky Dog.

If it makes you feel any better, the first one kinda drowns out the second one so you don't really hear the start. :D

• Like 1

It's comforting knowing you can pick the place you're gonna land engine out, but twins are much more work than singles the rest of the time- systems management, planning, etc. It is nice planning for the 'uh-oh' by considering OEI climb and fuel burn instead of "what do I do to to keep a survivable landing place in range"...

That is some serious time in the Huey! I hope I can rack up the numbers sometime soon. Right now I'm just happy I got an hour in the thing. My goal in the long run is to do utility work so hopefully this will get me some solid experience an employer would like to see.

That actually did make me feel better, until I read the black hawk post. :blink:

I should clarify, that the groan is only on the start. Checking with an MTP, it's because at that RPM, the compressor creates some turbulent air, and it causes the "grumble". If we call it out on startup, it's "cool blackhawk noise". :lol:

twins are much more work than singles the rest of the time- systems management, planning, etc.

Planning what? More fuel burn? Not that big of a deal. I would say in my experience that twins are actually less work most of the time as usually when you have a twin you also have tools to make your life easier like autopilots, dual hydraulics, etc.

Ok, a complete newbie question but how much difference is there in flying different styles of helicopters (actuall flight controls not performance)? I have seen comments on here that "flying a helicopter" is relatively the same no matter what you are in. I have also heard that flying a Huey is one of the easiest types to fly. Try not to slam me too bad but I really have NO idea. I have only been a passenger in a UH-60 and in the right seat of an R44 for about 15 min.

What makes one easier to fly than another? Is it how well internal components are developed that allow for easier control/flight? Just aerodynamics alone? Both?

Now that I am thinking about it. Trying to keep the performance aspect out of it, is it the engines/blades ability to perform at higher levels that allow it to fly easier?

Sorry for all the questions, just a newb trying pick the brains of those who actually have experiance flying.