Headsets..again..

Tested out the Bose A20s at the Bose store today (if you didn't know the Bose stores have a demo available for the A20 to test out)

It felt weird. Not the weight or the comfort of the actual headset (they felt awesome, a little heavy though). The actual noise, or absence of noise, of the headset felt weird in my ear. Not sure if it was because of the Noise Canceling Technology, but I didn't like the feeling. But in terms of quiet it was amazing, you would almost think the three sales associates were trained to play a trick on you because they were standing directly next to me having a full blown conversation and when I tested out the headset I could see their lips moving but couldn't hear a thing they were saying.

Regardless I don't think I am sold on them because of that uncomfortable feeling when I put them on.

I know this has kind of been talked about a few times prior, but what headset do you guys think is the absolute best non noise canceling headset? And what does every use now as their headset?

Tested out the Bose A20s at the Bose store today (if you didn't know the Bose stores have a demo available for the A20 to test out)

Last week I borrowed the Bose A20, Lightspeed Zulu, and Bose Aviation X and did a cross-country in the Soloy (turbine Cessna 206) to compare them all with my current FW headset - a David Clark with Oregon Aero hush kit and CEP.

I was skeptical, but the A20 is absolutely the quietest headset I've ever used. Period. And it blows my DC rig out of the water WRT comfort and ease of use.

The A20 was the only headset able to completely eliminate the lower frequency noise of the engine and prop, and I was amazed that all the noise that remained was a gentle wooshing of higher frequency white noise (sounded like wind noise). I think my DC's might be a smidge quieter in the higher freqs., but down low, there is no contest.

I was truly shocked.

I didn't notice any comfort issues with the Bose, but I have noted that all active systems do have a subtle weird inner-ear pressure kind of thing. I notice it sometimes if I lift an earcup off my ear while NR is engaged - not during just regular flying though.

The Aviation X and Zulu were pretty much equal in total NR to me, and both had a similar "quality" of NR. Low freq. noise was present but not objectionable and higher freq. noise was louder than my David Clark.

The only negative I could see with the A20 is the inability to hear the engine. I personally have no problem with this, but I know some folks think it's important. Of course, I suspect that this won't be the case with a piston helicopter - especially doors off.

I used to be really happy with my DC's, but I will definitely be buying a pair of A20's. My only regret is that Bose isn't in the helmet business - I would love to have this technology inside my HGU-84!

I didn't notice any comfort issues with the Bose, but I have noted that all active systems do have a subtle weird inner-ear pressure kind of thing. I notice it sometimes if I lift an earcup off my ear while NR is engaged - not during just regular flying though.

That's exactly what that weird feeling was like..

... but I have noted that all active systems do have a subtle weird inner-ear pressure kind of thing. I notice it sometimes if I lift an earcup off my ear while NR is engaged - not during just regular flying though.

I've noticed that too, with my Zulu (as well as with Bose music headphones).

I found that wearing regular foam plugs under my headset, seems to eliminate that "weird" feeling.

:)

I found that wearing regular foam plugs under my headset, seems to eliminate that "weird" feeling.

I couldn't help but think about the possibility of wearing foam plugs with the A20. I had the volume all the way down on the Bose and volume was very good. Of course, foam does adversely affect the frequency response (it muffles the high frequencies, which changes the intelligibility of speech and music fidelity). A20's with CEP's would be an awesome NR combination - though less comfortable and convenient.

Alright..So I am trying to bring this topic back alive instead of starting a new one. ..

I have decided to go with a passive headset, at least for now, considering I am just another low time CFI with no work (praying for some work).

I am deciding between the David Clark H10-56 for $311.95 or the David Clark H10-26 for $343.95.

The H10-56 has a much better NRR (noise reduction rate) of 27db compared to the H10-26 which has an NRR of 24db. There is only a 1 oz difference between them so weight doesn't really play a factor. The only thing I can see that the H10-26 has over the H10-56 is a better noise canceling mic, and the mic on the H10-56 is that annoying metal wire mic. But I feel that I rather have better NRR for my ears than having a slightly better mic. Plus I can get the H10-56 for a little bit cheaper.

Anyone have an opinion on the best David Clark?

Alright..So I am trying to bring this topic back alive instead of starting a new one. ..

I have decided to go with a passive headset, at least for now, considering I am just another low time CFI with no work (praying for some work).

I am deciding between the David Clark H10-56 for $311.95 or the David Clark H10-26 for $343.95.

The H10-56 has a much better NRR (noise reduction rate) of 27db compared to the H10-26 which has an NRR of 24db. There is only a 1 oz difference between them so weight doesn't really play a factor. The only thing I can see that the H10-26 has over the H10-56 is a better noise canceling mic, and the mic on the H10-56 is that annoying metal wire mic. But I feel that I rather have better NRR for my ears than having a slightly better mic. Plus I can get the H10-56 for a little bit cheaper.

I used DCs for many years. In the 70's and 80s they were THE headset. Not any more. You might want to look at the Telex Heli XT. I bought a pair in 2009 for around $450. I like them so much that I got a cord adapter so I can use them in airplanes also. I really couldn't hear much difference between them and the Bose. Except for the price.

...Anyone have an opinion on the best David Clark?

After my Private, I decided on the H10-66, because they said it was, "For high noise helicopters", which I figured the R22 is(especially with both doors off).

I thought it was pretty quiet, and comfortable, for a 'passive' (and the price).

I have the DC H10-60 and have worn them for about 4000 hours. I have never had a problem with them outside of replacing the muff on the mouth piece and the ear things a few times. I have never worn ear plugs while flying. I had a hearing test when I started with my new company last year and was told my hearing was excellent. The Bose seem kind of flimsy for someone that flies a lot. I don't feel like messing around with batteries, either.

Edited by helonorth

The first few times I turned on my Zulu I got that feeling, sort of a dizzy head rush type of feeling. I was concerned that I would never be able to use them, but I guess it is like those first few hits of Heroin. After the first few times, you hardly notice the feeling anymore and it becomes normal.

I did the passive route first, but then decided that if I was going to wear a headset, I wanted to get what I figured was the best. I tell people that if they can afford it, go big out of the gates, getting something less and then going to another later is sort of like throwing money away.

I took it in the pooper when I sold my passive headset, after I bought the ANR. I guess I should have saved some pride and just kept the passive for a backup, but I really was thirsty and I was able to procure some beer later that night.

The flex booms creep more in use and require more frequent readjustment than the articulated wire, at least with lip lights.

I would choose the one that's the most comfortable.

Don't lose sleep over 3dB - you won't be able to tell the difference. Install the Oregon Aero hush kit and wear foam inside your ears and you'll have about 50dB total NRR.

There are so many threads on this subject, please use the search function.

BTW, 3db amounts to logarithmically twice the attenuation or amplification, depending if you want to decrease or increase respectively.

I personally went with DC H10-13.4 headset during training. I went cheap, my big oops. After missing a few tower calls, I installed a complete Oregon Aero Ear Cup and Mic Muff kit. Still not satisfied, I soldered in a Comm-Ear Plug(CEP) kit, NOW I could hear great and with excellent attenuation of outside noise. I put on a Lip Light, but the flex boom crept away so that I still had to use my hands to adjust and turn light on/off (recommend wire boom). So now I have a bitching hotrod headset...trouble now is that I cannot stand the head clamping for more than an hour. That headset now is the best spare headset money can buy. I really give the earcups a hard wide pull apart to bend it out to soften the clamping pressure...no need for a good seal because the CEPs are so damn good. So that is something else to consider, Clamping Pressure. My daily use headset is now a CEP from Quiet Technologies (google them) that I bought in 2007. Phil is very helpful there. I know Gomer Pylot has recommended these in the past (thank you sir), as have I if you were to do a thread search. I've seen Clarity Aloft, I prefer my QT's (though I ought to look into the TSO'd QT).

Like one poster said, with any major purchase, save your money up and then buy the best, therefore you will not want for anything more in the future. My lifes motto to live by.

Hope this helps. LifeApresMil