what job, experience welcome, HELP!!!

Which one would you choose  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which route!

• Texas DPS
    • Other Job and work on ratings on the side

Ok so I am trying to decide what to do for my future. I have only been up a few times in helicopters but have loved every second. I have been researching the last couple years. So here is what I am contemplating and would just like some general input from those that have sacrificed and went through the training. I have a change to open an insurance office or be put in one and work up to making pretty decent money. I figure within a few years I could pay cash for training through commercial. Due to my wife working and that we don't need a lot right now. No kids and we live cheap. But after I have my license I don't know how things would go. There are a few private companies around here that due different heli jobs. I figure I might could work part time for them and maybe try to do some tours at different expos and what not. All while still doing the insurance on the side since it would most likely be somewhat seasonal work. Here is the other option I am looking at. Going DPS. Assuming I would be accepted as a trooper (I'm pretty sure I would be I know several people that have made it personally and believe I could pass all the requirements) I would have to be a trooper for approximately 4 years. After 1 year I could become a Tactical Flight Officer and at least be able to be in a helicopter. I would get my private license on the side. The DPS would give me the opportunity to not have to pay through commercial, full time job, benefits, and turbine experience. The cons to DPS - shift work (insurance wouldn't be although if anyone is self-employed they know that it can be well over a 40 hr a week job), location (gotta go where there is an opening, 14 bases I believe located all over texas). I am having a tough time trying to decide which route would be best for me. My wife is supportive of whichever route I choose. (Maybe it would be easier if she absolutely hated one way!) I know only I can make this decision. I know the hurdles I will have to jump through either way. I am just interested in some of yalls opinions on what you would think you would do and why.

well, something you need to consider is that no one is going to hire a 150 hour commercial pilot for anything. if you want to do the pay your own way method, you will have to also get your flight instructor rating. even then, you may not be hireable without an instrument instructor rating. Once youve spent your life savings on the instructor ratings, you can expect to make $20 an hour until you get to 1200-1500 hours.

also, i might point out that if you consider having to move all over texas to be a con for the DPS job, that may be a red flag for this profession, as you will likely have to move alot further then texas to find a job.

im not trying to discourage you from taking the plunge, just pointing out things that need pointing out. If youve caught the bug, theres likely nothing anyone can do to stop you now.

im voting for other job and ratings on the side. if you go trooper, theres a possibility that you work a job you dont want to for years, then get turned down for a flight slot in the end anyway. im not one to sign a contract with someone promising that you might get what you want years later. of course theyll convince you that you will almost certainly get it, thats their job!

plus, i hate texas police. I know first hand someone who rolled past a stop sign on a college campus on the day of his final exam. after a half hour of waiting for a ticket, he put his wallet on the roof of his car and told the cop he had to go to his final or he would fail, and started walking to class. the cop tackled him, arrested him, and booked him in jail for evading arrest.

If you live in texas you know what im talking about. dont join the dark side. (or join and destroy the system from the inside)

Well, can't help you with the outlook of the industry but something else you need to consider:

1.) Having a stable job is alot easier to keep a steady household during your training. Insurance may take alot of time but with exception to the down turn in the economy, the only broke insurance agent I have seen is the one who can't sell. The problem with this is what you have stated earlier about the time. I found myself in the same situation about 8-10 years ago wanting to be a pilot but couldn't justify the expense of training. Got married, started popping out kids, wife not working..... how will your training outlook be then?

2.) You have very limited amount of expenses NOW....(family wise) if you are going to train. How long before you and your wife have an oops and start having children? Your time and finances change drastically. Diapers, daycare and formula add up ALOT.

3.) Wouldn't count on Law Enforcement to give you a slot for Pilot. Generally speaking, they want beat time and could care less about anything else. Unless you happen to have an "in" somehow. Been doing EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) for the last 8+ years in the Army and Law Enforcement positions don't care about my experience when I applied for/asked about Bomb Squad positions. I can probably out run 95% of the people on an IED incident but I don't have beat time so they don't care. That pretty much applies in a majority of states.

4.) If you really want to fly, don't be afraid to pull the trigger and find yourself like me waiting 8-10 yrs going sh*t, what happened? Just to get into flying now rather than several years in the future.

Just my $.02

Yes, you can get a job flying public use at 150 hours. You need to be in their system for a while, though. Many law enforcement agencies will put you in the cockpit with just a commercial rating. A county near me was even taking volunteers with just a few hundred hours. They probably still do.

Edited by helonorth

If you want to fly helicopters for a living, then you’ll need to get certified as an instructor and teach. Basically, there is no other way.

Your family life is your business and I’ll only add the professional helicopter pilot lifestyle is NOT family friendly in the slightest…..

It’s a mistake to believe becoming a cop will lead to a flying job. Simply put, you become a cop to be a cop, not a pilot. Take this from a pilot who became a cop….

Sure, some agencies place their 150 hour officers in the pilot seat but this is not usually seen as a positive. Plus, with the current economic environment, lots of agencies are folding up their air support units as a cost saving measure. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to figure out the LE sector is on the decline and will be for quite some time…..

Edited by Spike

It's a big gamble going into DPS with minimum flight time and then asking them politely to become a helicopter pilot. Also, your age might become an issue as well (I don't know how old you are, so I can't really base anything off of that)

If I were in your situation I would sell insurance and get my ratings on the side. It's one thing to enjoy flying helicopters in general (Who doesn't/wouldn't) It's entirely another to go all-in on a flying career and chase the dream. Getting your ratings on the side gives you the time to really evaluate if this is something you seriously want to pursue.

Ok so I am trying to decide what to do for my future. I have only been up a few times in helicopters but have loved every second. I have been researching the last couple years. So here is what I am contemplating and would just like some general input from those that have sacrificed and went through the training. I have a change to open an insurance office or be put in one and work up to making pretty decent money. I figure within a few years I could pay cash for training through commercial. Due to my wife working and that we don't need a lot right now. No kids and we live cheap. But after I have my license I don't know how things would go. There are a few private companies around here that due different heli jobs. I figure I might could work part time for them and maybe try to do some tours at different expos and what not. All while still doing the insurance on the side since it would most likely be somewhat seasonal work. Here is the other option I am looking at. Going DPS. Assuming I would be accepted as a trooper (I'm pretty sure I would be I know several people that have made it personally and believe I could pass all the requirements) I would have to be a trooper for approximately 4 years. After 1 year I could become a Tactical Flight Officer and at least be able to be in a helicopter. I would get my private license on the side. The DPS would give me the opportunity to not have to pay through commercial, full time job, benefits, and turbine experience. The cons to DPS - shift work (insurance wouldn't be although if anyone is self-employed they know that it can be well over a 40 hr a week job), location (gotta go where there is an opening, 14 bases I believe located all over texas). I am having a tough time trying to decide which route would be best for me. My wife is supportive of whichever route I choose. (Maybe it would be easier if she absolutely hated one way!) I know only I can make this decision. I know the hurdles I will have to jump through either way. I am just interested in some of yalls opinions on what you would think you would do and why.

Not certain what you mean when you say "I have a change to open an insurance office or be put in one and work up to making pretty decent money." Are you in insurance sales now, and doing well? If so, are you saying that you could be set up in an office, no out-of-pocket, and it will be yours? I'd take that deal, and fly as a hobby. If you don't have a history of competence and success in sales, it's another question entirely.

If you have an "IN" with Texas DPS, explore that. If you just know a guy who knows a guy and you think you meet the qualifications... then that, too, is another question entirely. Law enforcement seems to an outsider to be insular in that they rely on guys they know who can do 'the job' when they're looking for somebody to fill a helo seat. Not a cop, never was, but understand the viewpoint even if I don't agree. I have met law enforcement pilots who've been done well by their departments in this regard, so it might be worth exploring. I suspect it will be very, very competitive and hard work.

"Part time piloting" would be much more manageable if you were covering your nut with a real job, outside of aviation. The ugly truth is that almost anybody can be taught to fly, a high percentage of which could reach commercial standards. Getting your commercial isn't the challenge: Getting the hours to be employable is, and lots of guys work very hard for a long time to make it.

Just like if you were to join CBP or the Army.... you join Texas DPS because you want to be a DPS Officer.

I'm flying at Longhorn, which has the contract to train up DPS helicopter pilots, and lemme tell ya... from what I hear, the aviation division is pretty damn competitive.

If you want to be a cop, be a cop. If you just want to fly, go work in insurance, make a crap ton of money and buy a helicopter. You'll never have anyone telling you when and where to fly, or even how to fly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everybody. Based on comments, I think I am leaning towards just going the insurance route and if I am able than get my licenses on the side and maybe try and fly part time jobs or just stick with private and fly for the heck of it, who knows. I do appreciate the inputs though.

well, something you need to consider is that no one is going to hire a 150 hour commercial pilot for anything...

Not true, McDonalds will hire you,...to be a fry guy. :lol: