Brazil helicopter ride video - Low G pushovers

Accident waiting to happen doesn't even begin to describe this idiot. I think the comments on YouTube speak for themselves. Plenty of people telling the passenger who took the video how dangerous this was but he doesn't seem to care. It is a good reminder that you never know who is watching or video taping your flying.

Edited by Eggbeater
  • Like 1

When I first started watching it I thought, what is everyone talking about, seems like a nice ride.....then I kept watching....I can't believe he wasn't wearing a seatbelt while doing 80-90* banks. Still looked like a fun ride.

I thought the crucifix hanging in the front was a nice touch.

• Like 1

I guess I missed the Low-G Pushovers, other than that, the ride seemed a bit too nauseating for me to be one of the passengers. :o

Not sure if I would climb into a helicopter where the pilot wasn't wearing shoes? :huh:

I guess I missed the Low-G Pushovers, other than that, the ride seemed a bit too nauseating for me to be one of the passengers. :o

Not sure if I would climb into a helicopter where the pilot wasn't wearing shoes? :huh:

From the pitch of the aircraft and the screams of the passengers, it would seem the low G happens a couple times at 2:50.

maybe a little aggressive in the turns for 1st time passengers.. but there is no LOW G pushover... I'd call that a cyclic dive. He didn't cyclic climb and then push over to a negative G or low G condition, he dove to get a window full of water that makes everyone scream. Yes he did bank 90 degrees and that gets passengers going... but there was nothing unsafe here.

• Like 2

but there was nothing unsafe here.

Yah who needs those pesky seatbelts anyway? :P I respectfully disagree. No seatbelts, exceeding 90 degrees, exceeding manifold pressure limits, flying 100 ft above the water, exceeding 100 KIAS VNE for doors off, etc. I think unsafe would be a generous word for this flight. And I understand it's hard to tell whether they were actually doing low G, but think the video shows they were. At 2:52 you can see the crucifix (ironically) floating as he pushes the cyclic forward. Subjective I know, but I don't think it'd be as big a deal if he was out tooling around on his own. However, the carriage of passengers brings a whole different level of responsibility into the picture, and I think it's amateur stuff like this that ends up hurting us all.

I guess the real test of faith is, would you send your family up with this guy? I wouldn't. I had a DPE who said this question is how he knew whether to pass someone for their checkride or not.

• Like 3

Well,...the Low-RPM Horn did come on briefly, and if it comes on while on a simple, sight-seeing flight, in a Governor equipped helicopter, at sea level, you're probably doing something you shouldn't?

:huh:

• Like 4

did you ever ride in the back of a pick up truck? If not then I guess you would consider that flight unsafe.. you might call any flight unsafe.

Don't believe he exceeded 90 degrees... regardless as long as he maintains a positive G.. so what..no FAR to bust in Brazil.

I don't know how you could read his MP gauge... but whatever.

Flying 100 feet off the water...???? Wow why so high... he could have gotten a nose bleed or run into one of those fixed wing things.

100 kias no doors... ok again, you have really good eyes.

Low G based on the cross... whatever.

I guess if you want to have a boring sleepy ride for grandma great... these people wanted the thrill ride.

I recall seeing my first helicopter ride at a regional airshow provided by a longtime Enstrom operator... I didn't have the money back then to get a ride but wow... he looked like he was going inverted as he would fly backwards then pushover the nose and do a split S type thingy... to each their own. Next you're going to tell me you tried to contact the FSDO but saw that it was in Brazil.

• Like 1

ahh.. that's better..

OK, Yes he blew the airspeed limit..

I guess the question I really have is why post these things on here?

Were you shocked to see somebody fly like this?

Do you follow every rule all the time?

Do you think people in other countries should do things the same as we in the US and have the same rules as we do?

I really don't see what the big deal is.. the commentors on youtube are rediculious... "I'd punch that guy in the face if I ever met him" ... why bring the fight here?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Apiaguy. Some people will probably heavily disagree with the statement I am about to make, but safe is somewhat of a relative term. Am I safe banking 90 degrees? Maybe not. Did this guy do it, and continue to control it? Yes. Was he busting manifold and A/S, he sure was. Did they end up in the water? No. He got the horn, so what, hes at sea level with more area below the horn than above, he had at least another 15%. I got a chuckle from the instructor at the safety course when I flinched at the horn (first time below about 7k DA) so he proceeded to fly the bird at 95% for the next 10 mins. Was he an unsafe pilot also? Should he get punched in the face also?

It really comes down to this guys choice as a pilot and the operator he works for. I seriously doubt brazil gives a crap about what a PoH says to do if they can earn more money pushing the limits a hair. Oh, and the whole Low-G thing is getting old, it seems like if your in a robby and push forward at all everyone screams Low-G. He nosed it over, hell, anyone who has done their SFAR training in a 44 has had the same pitch attitude.

Just my two cents, just because hes not flying straight and level over the beach at 90 kts and 700' doesn't make him an unsafe pilot. Check vtolblogs newest "worth watching" video of how helicopter shows used to be. Safety is important yes, but has it really gotten to the point where a sharp turns indicates you as an unsafe and poor pilot?

• Like 3

...safe is somewhat of a relative term. Am I safe banking 90 degrees? Maybe not. Did this guy do it, and continue to control it? Yes. Was he busting manifold and A/S, he sure was. Did they end up in the water? No. He got the horn, so what,...

..I seriously doubt brazil gives a crap about what a PoH says to do if they can earn more money pushing the limits a hair. Oh, and the whole Low-G thing is getting old,...

Famous last words! :lol:

Safety is important yes, but has it really gotten to the point where a sharp turns indicates you as an unsafe and poor pilot?

If you cannot do them without busting limits,...yes!

• Like 1

first time below about 7k DA) so he proceeded to fly the bird at 95% for the next 10 mins. Was he an unsafe pilot also? Should he get punched in the face also?

There is a big difference between an Instructor and a student pilot (at whatever level) completing advanced maneuvers and flying with RPM below the horn alert level and tourists going for a flight who don't know anything about helicopters. In one, you know the risks, you know the limits and you are exploring them in a controlled manner and you are accepting that if something bad happens you will take your chances. The other, you are expecting to have a fun and above all safe flight.

Flying the aircraft out of limits will eventually result in an accident which may or may not be fatal. The passengers on board when that happens deserve better.

I taught advanced CFI techniques to final stage CFI candidates, I still didn't execute 90 degree bank turns because they aren't safe.

Not crashing during this video is not an endorsement for safety!

Low G pushovers are prohibited for a reason.

• Like 1

but I think some people forget that we fly helicopters, not airplanes.

I agree with the sentiment, we're helicopters, not airplanes and that means we do radically different things.

Redlining your aircraft and exceeding limitations is inappropriate on tour flights. Those are the kinds of things you do in an emergency when doing them won't make a horrible situation any worse.

• Like 2

AHHAHAHAHAHhA Im with apiaguy here! are you shocked to see this!??!!

I wish all you UPTIGHT pilots could come spend a week flying AG with us!

see the real world and how these machines are flown for 14Hrs a day a few feet off the ground at every Red line and past! and we stay very safe!

These forums just really crack me up how everyone freeks out about very little!

ahh.. that's better..

OK, Yes he blew the airspeed limit..

I guess the question I really have is why post these things on here?

Were you shocked to see somebody fly like this?

Do you follow every rule all the time?

Do you think people in other countries should do things the same as we in the US and have the same rules as we do?

I really don't see what the big deal is.. the commentors on youtube are rediculious... "I'd punch that guy in the face if I ever met him" ... why bring the fight here?

• Like 2

see the real world and how these machines are flown for 14Hrs a day a few feet off the ground at every Red line and past! and we stay very safe!

And then one day someone else is flying that helicopter, probably on just a simple ferry flight, nice and easy, straight and level,...and the blades fly off! :lol: :lol: :lol: :(

• Like 2

"at every Red line and past!"??? I trust that's dramatic exaggeration... Some questions:

You carrying passengers flying AG? This guy was...

You've trained/experienced in nap of the earth and other phases of flight required by ag in order to do that safely, yes? Video pilot didn't display any technique.

Your ag bird is experimental, yes?

There's differences between ag and general for hire. That's why aerial application, etc., have special rules.

• Like 3

What Wally said. World of difference between passenger tour operations and AG work (or any experimental work). There is even a difference between passenger operations and any other work with helicopters that doesn't take passengers... Just because its safe to fly next to a power line at slow speed (as demonstrated by the power line patrol segment of the industry) doesn't mean I'm going to do it on a tour (or that I'm qualified to do it).

• Like 1

Just want to make a comment that pilots SHOULD know...

Ag is NOT experimental.

It can be done in normal category aircraft...

it usually is done in the restricted category...

has nothing to do with experimental...but can be done in that category also (privately).

Real world? In the real world, we have tattle-tale lights that record every time you exceed a limitation, and I'm starting to understand why after your post. And operators usually aren't thrilled when pilots exceed that aircraft's limits, especially when it results in a costly component change (translation: you're fired). Red lines are there for a reason, and if you exceed them, you are gambling with not only your life but the life of every pilot who flies that aircraft after you.