Average costs charged for different airframes

Rotorhead84

Curious what the average/reasonal prices are for hiring a helicopter per hour for various sorts of work.

Powerline, pipeline, charter, etc.

Interested in hourly rates on 206's, 500's, 300's, r44's and a-stars.

Any websites with up to date information on this subject?

Edited by Rotorhead84
  • Like 1

Curious what the average/reasonal prices are for hiring a helicopter per hour for various sorts of work.

Powerline, pipeline, charter, etc.

Interested in hourly rates on 206's, 500's, 300's, r44's and a-stars.

Any websites with up to date information on this subject?

A lot of factors go into each project. Many will have standby charges or per diem charges. Rent the ship and pilot for 40 hours and you'll probably pay less per hour than a 4 hour deal.

R44's generally are in the $425-$525 range. 206's about $600 to $750 and AStars usually pushing $850-$1200 or more.

If you want an AStar to fly around vs. you want an AStar with a 500K high def camera mounted to it with a microwave downlink....big difference. That last ship might fetch 2000-2500 with a good pilot.

It always makes me laugh when people think that these helicopter companies are raking in the dough, if you told an investment banker that he could invest millions and get a 1% return he would laugh you out if the room. Got l to love it to do it! :rolleyes:

I was once told that an owners goal would be to make 1% of the cost new. He said that a 206 is around 1.1 million new so his goal is 1,100 per flight hour. I haven't done the math but it seems like a good goal.

I've been paid $950/hr for a $70,000 Hiller...whats the percentage of that? :D

It seems to vary quite a bit. I have seen Jetrangers from $650-1200 an hour. Offshore rates are kind of kept a secret, but it is rumored to be about $70,000 a month plus $700 or so an hour, plus a fuel surcharge for a 407.. I did an ad hoc charter once in a 407 offshore and for some reason in my paperwork was the rate: $8000 a day plus around $700 per hour plus fuel surcharge. A company in Texas called Paradagm actually lists their rates on their web site: EC135 is $4,350 an hour, $1,000 an hour for standby time. B3 Astar is $2,550, $750 an hour to wait. EC120 is a mere $1,650, $550 to wait. They also charge $500 an hour more to fly at night. Why, I have no clue. Not at those rates, anyway. Edit: $300 an hour for a 300 suddenly doesn't seem so bad! Also, I think these rates are all the same, whether the pilots are "good" bad or otherwise!

Edited by helonorth

I am no accountant but I think when you look at the overall costs of operating it still works out to be a slim margin. I know there are operators that make a little more, but there is never any grantee. You are always one mishap from total disator as well. I love this industry and will be in it until they tell me I can't so don't take this as a complaint. Maybe my career has been to long in utility as well.

The figure quoted above was 1% PER HOUR, not 1% per year. One percent per hour of flight time is a pretty good return, especially when it's not unusual to fly 1000 hours/year, which would equate roughly to 1000%/year.

Of course, that's revenue, not profit, since you have to consider the associated costs above the initial price of the airframe, such as fuel, maintenance, insurance, and the tiny cost of the pilot's wages, among others.

Edited by Gomer Pylot
  • Like 1

Im just trying to think of ways to make money with the OH-58s the family business runs. They sit most of the year and so do I. I'd like to get out there but have no idea what prices im going to have to compete w.ith. Trying to get a feel.

What do you usually do with them? Shake trees after the rain? How are they equipped? $800-1000 is a decent rate for a 58...

I'm in the midwest. We spray with them. Two of them have isolair kits with ACE satloc. They also have cargo hooks. The third one we just bought and its getting the same spray kit put on it as well. Not sure if it has a cargo hook or not, haven't seen it. I'm on the road doing pipeline.