One Tough Decision

Hey guys I feel that we all have gotten to know one another pretty well on this forum ever since I first got on here and I appreciate everyone's sincerity. Now currently I have a dilemma and I could use a little bit of outside help to make my final decision. Currently I have my WOFT packet completed and on 10 Sept. 2012 I will know if I am selected or not selected. Also currently, I got a job offer from a company 1200 miles away and my fiancee and I were thinking about taking the job but if we move 1200 miles away and then I get selected then we will have to move all our belongings back home until I go to Rucker after my basic training and all. Also there is a sign on bonus for this job but I would have to pay that sign on bonus back if I don't work there for a minimum of 3 months. I have practically one month before I know an answer from the US Army about selection and I am just in a bind. If I could get some comments or suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks everyone.

If theres anything ive learned during my packet process thus far or input from people that are in currently its this... Dont put your regular life on hold whatsoever on a whim or a chance of being accepted into the armt woft... Continue your life as normal lime you would do if the army wasnt there at all.

Its helped me out alot so far and still helps every day. For you id say take the job. Put the sign on bonus in a seperate account in case you have to give it back later but dont turn down a job you would take in a normal situation... Whats the job? The moving you should start getting used to nyways just as practice for the army but that doesnt seem like a major concern comparatively.

Think about it the other way, what if you turn down the job now then don't get accepted into the army... Your out of a better job and not in the army either...

Edited by Yamer

I live in Indiana right now and that's what I have been thinking as well but first I currently do not have the money to move down to Miami and second the cost of living in Miami is insane and if I do take this job and get selected I will have no money anyway because I wouldn't of worked there long enough to make any due to all the extra costs of living. Now if I don't get selected I may be able to make a little bit before the next board but really its hard to judge at this point. Lots of thoughts going through my mind right now.

I'm not saying you shouldn't take the job, BUT...

I think you should plan as if you're going to get selected (whatever that means). I haven't looked at your personal stats, but I know for a fact that selection rates for the past couple boards have been very high...

Don't forget 24 out of 26 applicants were selected on the last board! And the one before that... 18 out of ???

will the job still be there available for you in a month or two? if the army was NOT in the picture at all would you take the job or stay where you are doing what you are doing now?

I technically have already taken the job and it is available. I think I am just going to hold off on leaving until I know an answer on 10 SEPT if I get selected or not. If the Army was never in the picture which is impossible in my mind, then I would go with the job. I am just taking the job mainly to have money up until I get selected. WOFT is the only thing I want in my entire life but I do need to work if I don't get selected first time.

• 2 weeks later...

You mean you prefer corn fields over sunny white sand beaches? I am just across the alley in Naples. I have a few friends who live in FT. Lauderdale and Miami. Their living costs are not much higher than my own in SWFL. Best of luck with everything.

First off, Im not an Army Pilot, never was. But after 8yrs in the military, 15 as a cop and 37 yrs of life, Dont throw away the known for the unknown. Especially if you have a family in the works. You dont have to be an Army pilot to offer that advice up.

I was hired by the Highway Patrol and my local Sheriff's Office within 2 days of each other. This was in August. HP said I was in, but that I probably wouldnt attend the academy until about January "hopefully". Sheriff said you start next Monday. I really had my eyes set on the HP. I was married with a 3 mo pregnant wife. I took the known which was starting my Sheriff Academy that next monday. The HP went into an extended hiring freeze that lasted over a year +. Just my .02 15yrs later, Im still wearin a Sheriff patch.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 5