Hiring Minimums

eagle5

That first job after teaching  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever gotten a face-to-face interview for a non-teaching job with less than the posted minimums?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Did you get hired for your first non-teaching job with less than the posted minimums?

• yes
    • no
  3. 3. If yes, what type?

• Entry-level Turbine
    • R44 Tours
    • Other (feel free to explain)
    • N/A

A couple of recent posts have me curious. Can we all really get an interview, and perhaps a job, with less than the posted minimums?

...or is it just those lucky few, we all hear about in flight school?

Eagle....don't make me say it again.

Relationships, relationships, relationships.

If you are faxing and emailing resumes you will never get anyone's attention, especially as a low timer.

If you want a pilot job, I would ask what you have done in the last 3 months to reach out and network in your area? Not knowing where you are from I can't really suggest anything..other than you have reach out to them, not the other way around.

• Like 3

Eagle....don't make me say it again.

Relationships, relationships, relationships.

If you are faxing and emailing resumes you will never get anyone's attention, especially as a low timer.

If you want a pilot job, I would ask what you have done in the last 3 months to reach out and network in your area? Not knowing where you are from I can't really suggest anything..other than you have reach out to them, not the other way around.

I know all about networking, thanks. I'm just curious about people's experiences!

I must say, I do find this rather amussing, and a bit confusing, that some of you think this poll is asking; how do you get a job?!

Its just asking how many hours you had when you got the interview/job compared to the minimums posted, in an attempt to see if the stories of people being hired below minimums are current reality, or just "fond memories of the way things used to be"?

I know plenty of pilots who have moved up from teaching. I don't know if if was through networking or just answering an ad,...and I don't really care! However, none of them were below posted minimums! Hence the poll!

I must say, I do find this rather amussing, and a bit confusing, that some of you think this poll is asking; how do you get a job?!

Its just asking how many hours you had when you got the interview/job compared to the minimums posted, in an attempt to see if the stories of people being hired below minimums are current reality, or just "fond memories of the way things used to be"?

I know plenty of pilots who have moved up from teaching. I don't know if if was through networking or just answering an ad,...and I don't really care! However, none of them were below posted minimums! Hence the poll!

Obviously you’re talking to me. It appears by your comment, the story above didn’t have any relevance to your question. That is, no relevance to you. Therefore I removed it. Or simply put, if you read that story and the only thing you got out of it was “how I got the job” you missed the point. Plus, you missed the point of the preface (first sentence).

In any case, never mind……

Obviously you’re talking to me. It appears by your comment, the story above didn’t have any relevance to your question. That is, no relevance to you. Therefore I removed it. Or simply put, if you read that story and the only thing you got out of it was “how I got the job” you missed the point. Plus, you missed the point of the preface (first sentence).

In any case, never mind……

Actually every post so far seems to be in reference to networking, and/or, how to get a job, not just yours. If I missed the point of your post, well,...welcome to the internet!,...it happens to me all the time! :)

I know all about networking, thanks. I'm just curious about people's experiences!

Sorry if I misinterpreted where you were heading with the poll. I would have to say I know several places which are very strict about hour requirements, (usually due to insurance req's) and others that are quite flexible. I know several pilots who got interviews and then jobs below mins.....and every one I can think of was due to an introduction....somebody knew somebody.

I have a military friend who currently has 1800 hrs.PIC-turbine. About 200 hours plus in ACTUAL IFR! Not simulated...actual! His job is to fly in the crappiest of weather, full IFR to go save the rest of us. Do you think just maybe an EMS operation with a 2000 hr minimum might just want to talk to a guy with 500 hrs night/unaided and NVG/ and 200 actual IFR?

Is 200 more hours of PIC time flying around in an R22 going to make this guy a better EMS pilot? I doubt it.

I think most operations would find a way to get this guy on board...I know I would.

Anyway, good luck on your journey.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A couple of recent posts have me curious. Can we all really get an interview, and perhaps a job, with less than the posted minimums?

...or is it just those lucky few, we all hear about in flight school?

I think most companies post high minimums to keep the resume numbers down. You can get hired with less than the minimums, but as Goldy said... it's about relationships. I've watched HR write the employees name (that I knew) across the top of my resume more than once. It DOES make a difference!

• Like 1

It is in fact, more important as to who you know, then what you put on paper, most of the time. Sometimes insurance requires certain things and there's no room to budge. But I find that mostly rare, at least so far. I got my current position with nearly 1000 hours less than posted because I knew somebody that was good friends with the CP. It was my network, my relationships that I built and developed over the years. As mentioned before lots of company's put really high minimums to filter the flood of resumes they get when they post a job. But, if you properly network, have a good attitude and are personable, your resume is just something that goes in your file. It's what you present face to face and what you show in the heli that counts. Minimums are minimums yes, but they are also just numbers. There's much more to it than just numbers.

Just my two cents based on what I've seen and been around ;)