Intro / WOFT / Advice

Hello all,

I am glad that I found this thread. I did not want to post a new one with the same questions. I have contemplated the PA Guard for quite some time, and of course waited until the last minute. I was trying to finish my bachelors first. I was wondering if anyone could give me some opinions as to whether or not I may make it?

- 32 years old (and 6 months)

- 4 years active duty Marine Corps (98-02, Afghanistan 01-02)

- Private contractor (07-08 Iraq)

- Police Helicopter Pilot (1500 hours Comm/Inst/ Bell School)

- 3 classes from Bachelors in Aeronautics with a 3.9GPA

I have read the sticky on here as well as many many other threads. I just don't know how long the process would take and if I would make it before my 33rd birthday? What I don't want it to "just enlist," and then submit a packet. The days of being 18 years old and "just enlisting" are over...haha

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I'm confused. You just posted a new thread with the same questions??

That said, you better contact a recruiter literally right now. You have 6 months to start flight school. Your odds are not looking good simply because of time frame. Be prepared to fight for an age waiver. But get the ball rolling! Are you aware of all the packet components? Scroll up and read my thread titled WARRANT OFFICER FLIGHT TRAINING. Time isn't on your side. But go for it anyway.

What Bell are you flying over there? 407? Sheriff over here has a Huey and a 407. Nice birds.

Sorry, I deleted the other Post. I didn't want to hijack the thread. I thought it would be better to post my own. I did actually save your thread in a separate file so I can refer back to it. I think I may be pushing the age limit to far. From what I hear, the age waivers are few and far between. Thanks for responding!

Yeah, most of the time with scores that high in the other areas you are perfectly capable of maxing the situps. The biggest problem people have with situps is speed. They go too slow and burn their core out lowering themselves back to the ground. You should feel like you're throwing yourself back to the ground and bouncing off.

Oh and like Lindsey said, get to a recruiter TODAY. Start getting the paperwork filled out. I was able to knock my whole packet building process out in a little over a month, then it was a waiting game for Rucker to approve my medical. 3 months after starting the process I was selected and 4 months later I was shipping out to basic.

As for the age waiver, you're going guard and you're a well qualified applicant in good health who will be barely into the age waiver requirement. I doubt they would deny you one. Granted, I have no idea what they look at when deciding whether or not to grant one.

Sorry all, I wasn't getting the update that messages were being posted on here. I have been getting paper work together because I want to go there first thing in the morning. I started an SF-65, but I already had one done in 2008 for a Secret Clearance. I may wait to see if they can dig that one up and save me 127 page nightmare.

As for the other questions, I do not want to leave the PD at all. I absolutely love flying for my PD. I fly 4-5 hours a night patrolling and it is quite fun. However, saying that if I could get myself into the AH-64 (or anything really) how could I not go for it? I have always wanted to be a military aviator and after spending numerous years in the back of them, I want to join the front crowd.

I think that I can get my paper work fairly quickly. Resume done, aviator letter almost done, SF-65 can get done quickly if I have to do it again, have most of my college transcripts but can get them again pretty quickly, hopefully can get references fast, and I am ready for the physical. I just have to find out about the ASVAB (if I have to take it again) and the SIFT test (know nothing about this).

I just hope I have a recruiter who is as determined as I am. From my readings, that makes a world of difference? Thanks again for all the feedback. I left a message today on the WO recruiters phone, but I am calling again at 8am.

Sam--are you throwing yourself down in the sit ups or letting yourself fall down? Trying to work on that technique.

A little bit of both, because at the top I kinda throw myself to get to a point where I let my torso fall. Basically you're trying to do them as fast as you can on the down side.