Other Flight Time Catagories?

On the FAA application to get your certificate there are flight time catagories not in the standard logbook:

solo - xc dual - xc solo - xc pic - night dual - night takeoffs/landings - night pic - night takeoffs/landings pic.

So, why does the FAA care about these, but the makers of the standard logbook do not?

It took me over an hour to add them up the morning of my checkride!,...a word of advice to you students; start keeping track of these now!

• Like 1

I think that it would be a little redundant to put all those categories in their own blocks. It would also make for either really small blocks to write in or a pretty sizable log book...

Speaking of log books... I think I have some totals and what not to add up and forward to the next page... Thanks for the reminder!

LogTen looks good, but what about those of us with Windows and no Apple products?

I have Logbook Pro, but it is definitely not very easy on the eyes...

Keeping track of night time, and night landings, can be an asset when you apply for some jobs, such as EMS. Using an electronic logbook is definitely the way to go. You only need the paper log while a student, for letting the CFI easily write in endorsements. After you get a commercial license, it's not worth the effort to maintain the paper. With an electronic log, you can quickly and easily produce all sorts of flight times, and you never know what an employer might be looking for. And definitely get an electronic logbook that will run on your smartphone. There are versions around that run on PC and Android/iOS. Get one. You can log the flights immediately, and you can produce flight times on very short notice. You're paying big bucks to have a smartphone, so get some use out of it.

• Like 1

It is probably worth mentioning that you needn't fill in all the blocks on the 8710. You only need to fill the ones applicable to the rating sought. As an example, every time I renew my CFI, I don't list any flight time. There are valid reasons for filling them in as well as not filling them in. I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to paperwork.

Edited by C of G

I have been building my own electronic logbook on Excel. It's turning out pretty nice although there are a few things I need to add to it to make it a little more user friendly. I've got about 40 flights and 100 hours logged on it now and it's been an easy way to keep track of my different times, much better than trying to track it on paper.

What the makers of the logbook think is irrelevant. If you want to know what categories of flight time are loggable and applicable to the regulation, look to the regulation. 14 CFR 61.51 spells out the logging of flight time.

The Form 8710 only needs what's required for the certificate, rating, or privilege you're seeking. You don't need to classify all your time when filling out the 8710. It's not needed.

If you need 50 hours of cross country time for the application you're making, that's all you need to list. If you're going for a type rating, nobody cares about solo time, or cross country time, etc...it's not germane to the application, and can be left off.

Some people prefer to fill out all the times, as the 8710 can be used as an official document in the event your logbook is lost, when you're reconstructing your times. It's not necessary, of course, but some people do it that way.

i use excel to build my own columns. i'll still make my paper book the master once i get home, but with excel, i can make the columns that employers care about.

i have had commanders ask for stuff i didn't think was important, like number of red illum landings.. turns out, it was important. but i know how you feel.