Helmet for a Private?

Nomad110

Hey guys,

First time to post in a long time. A little update on me...I have scheduled my check ride and am nearing completion of my PPL(H). I have the best CFI in the world and have been flying the R44 with him almost three days a week or more. The solo work has been great and I'm feeling extremely comfortable and ready for the check ride. We are in the process of ordering an AS350 B3e for a March delivery. Insurance has been setup and a safety pilot lined up. I start factory training soon also. Things are falling together...

I have spent countless hours reading NTSB reports on AS350s and have come to the question of helmets. I'm really happy with the Bose noise canceling headsets that I use now but a recent read about a pilot getting incompacitated by a bird strike which could have been saved by a helmet has me thinking. I tried on a Gallet LH350 and found it comfortable but I haven't flown with it. Am I going to miss the Bose noise canceling? I've read that the ANS option in the Gallet is crappy in comparison. Any other advise? Flights are mostly going to be sea level to 6000+ MSL in high DA conditions...hence the AS350. I'm trying to minimize risk. My safety pilot is an awesome mentor and has 12,000 hours in AS350s. I haven't asked his opinion yet.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I've read that the ANS option in the Gallet is crappy in comparison. Any other advise?

CEP maybe an option. Helmets, here we go:

Communication Earplug Protection (CEP) Kits For Helmets

CEP Standard Hearing Protection

Also, take a look at the post below (Link) about helmets:

For those who don't believe helmets save lives...

Edited by iChris

I know it might sound like I am jumping the gun but I will actually have an entire month between takin my check ride and heading down to Grand Praire. So if I do the CEP's would I order the MSA Gallet without comms? Either way I'm probably going to wait until I know exactly what audio interface we are putting in the B3. I just would like to know what to order because I heard it can take 6-8 weeks to recieve a helmet. Also should I work with Tiger Performance?

Thanks

So if I do the CEP's would I order the MSA Gallet without comms?

Also should I work with Tiger Performance?

I heard it can take 6-8 weeks to recieve a helmet.

Thanks

The CEP is an additional option installed in parallel with the MSA Gallet’s normal Communication system.

Example, Tiger Performance Products will install the CEP with your initial order along with the helmet’s standard Communication system.

Some helmet colors have long lead-times.

Do your research to find the best price.

Tiger Performance Products

Aviation Survival

Edited by iChris

Flown with a Gallet (250) for a decade.Extremely effective at keeping noise out, especially with the visor down. But- I carry ear plugs in my kit because some aircraft in the fleet won't turn the ICS panel volume low enough to be comfortable. Flying the usually assigned aircraft (AS 350B2), bottoming both volumes out comfortably allows me to hear everything.

Edited by Wally

The molds are about $350.

Or you can go get them done at a local hearing aid store.

I picked up moldable rubber earplugs at an outdoor store last year...mix two parts of material, put the earpiece in your ear, and then mash the material in your ear. It sets up in about ten or fifteen minutes, and wallah! Molded rubber ear pieces. Fifteen bucks, I think.

I think it comes down to your personal preference. As it sounds you are in this as a hobby rather than a career. If your happy with the boses I think you'll like the comfort and luxury (it's what they use on the presidential helicopter). If your I. It for a career and will have long hours at work in the bird then safety might be your preference based on the fact, it's a matter of time and chance of incidents. Not that incidents can't occur if you only fly a fee times a month but the risk goes up when flying more too. But could be looked at as a double edge sword that the less you fly the more risk you pose to yourself for an incident (proficiency). I prefer helmets myself as a career pilot, but it comes back to preference. I feel naked without my pickle suite, gloves, and helmet. Good luck and congrats on your purchase.