Question for previously FAA rated pilots in WOFT

Just out of pure curiosity, I was wondering what the initial Army flight training was like for previously rotor rated pilots. Obviously there is a huge gap between incoming trainees with no flight experience and those that are already licensed and I was just wondering how that works. Not to say that rated pilots already know everything, but it would seem like spending several hours teaching a previously rated pilot to hover would be a little excessive so I was wondering how the IPs deal with this. It seems like a better use of time and training to move on to something that the pilot could learn more from but I have no idea how this works. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I have been researching the same thing.. and from what I have gathered, as far as the Army is concerned FAA experience just means potential to become a good Army pilot, and nothing else. If you get through the course with ease, well good for you; but you are definitely not gonna finish it faster. Also its better if you don't constantly mention (or brag) that you are a civilian pilot, your IP doesn't really care nor will treat you any different.

Also keep in mind that many of the WOFT (civilian to flight seat) applicants may have substantial flight experience...

I have been researching the same thing.. and from what I have gathered, as far as the Army is concerned FAA experience just means potential to become a good Army pilot, and nothing else. If you get through the course with ease, well good for you; but you are definitely not gonna finish it faster. Also its better if you don't constantly mention (or brag) that you are a civilian pilot, your IP doesn't really care nor will treat you any different.

Also keep in mind that many of the WOFT (civilian to flight seat) applicants may have substantial flight experience...

I definitely didn't mean this to make myself out like I know anything more than anyone else and I certainly wouldn't act like that during training. Frankly, I'm looking forward to being able to learn everything in detail and be able to get a much fuller grasp on the things I already know. I honestly felt like the FAA PPL program is more of a basic introduction to knowing not how to kill yourself and I'm really looking forward to building upon that. I was just more curious if the IP's adjust the training based on how well you pick up maneuvers and information or if it is a set in stone (5 hours hover training, 2 hours hover auto training, etc.) type of setup.

I definitely have no intention or expectation to finish faster, I was just hoping that if the IP notices I can hover to standard within the first 10 minutes of training we might be able to practice hover autos for example for the remaining time normally allotted to training students to hover. At least on the most basic flight maneuvers, I think that I could benefit from and become a much more capable aviator by using that time to work on things I haven't worked on much.

All just my personal opinion though and I'm sure however they run things is tried and tested and works well. If it ends up that I do basic hover training for 5 hours, I'll happily do the best hovering I can for those 5 hours.

Experience is taken into consideration in training. Honestly, half the battle in primary is memorization and knowledge. Flight maneuvers are only part of it. So while those with experience have it easier in maneuvers, they still get to suffer memorizing 5/9 and Army regulations like everyone else.

But for people that have control touch, the IP isn't going to force them to hover for hours. You'll just move on to other maneuvers in addition to the first ones. Primary is broken up into 2 check rides, and there is a maneuver list for each one. For each maneuver, the IP will demonstrate, and the student will have a certain amount of hours to show proficiency. After that hour limit, if the student isn't proficient they can be given an unsat for the day, with possible ramifications like progress rides and such. If the student is proficient early, then they just focus on other maneuvers.

The playing field between rated and non-rated levels out pretty quick, from what I've seen. Although, an instrument rating in fixed or rotary really did seem to give a leg up in instruments. The concepts just take a little longer to absorb.

But not even a brand new pilot goes out and practices hovering for hours one day, then traffic patterns the next, then approaches the next, etc. It is all mixed together from day one. I know when I was doing civilian training, I wanted to learn to hover, so I spent far more time focusing on hovering in my first hours. The Army lets the hover control touch develop over time while learning everything else.

As was mentioned above, just don't be cocky about prior experience. On day one you'll fill out a form that asks about your prior flight time, and just be honest. The IP is still going to see where you are at and progress from there.

• Like 1

Experience is taken into consideration in training. Honestly, half the battle in primary is memorization and knowledge. Flight maneuvers are only part of it. So while those with experience have it easier in maneuvers, they still get to suffer memorizing 5/9 and Army regulations like everyone else.

But for people that have control touch, the IP isn't going to force them to hover for hours. You'll just move on to other maneuvers in addition to the first ones. Primary is broken up into 2 check rides, and there is a maneuver list for each one. For each maneuver, the IP will demonstrate, and the student will have a certain amount of hours to show proficiency. After that hour limit, if the student isn't proficient they can be given an unsat for the day, with possible ramifications like progress rides and such. If the student is proficient early, then they just focus on other maneuvers.

The playing field between rated and non-rated levels out pretty quick, from what I've seen. Although, an instrument rating in fixed or rotary really did seem to give a leg up in instruments. The concepts just take a little longer to absorb.

But not even a brand new pilot goes out and practices hovering for hours one day, then traffic patterns the next, then approaches the next, etc. It is all mixed together from day one. I know when I was doing civilian training, I wanted to learn to hover, so I spent far more time focusing on hovering in my first hours. The Army lets the hover control touch develop over time while learning everything else.

As was mentioned above, just don't be cocky about prior experience. On day one you'll fill out a form that asks about your prior flight time, and just be honest. The IP is still going to see where you are at and progress from there.

This is exactly what I was looking for. I particularly like the aspect of not focusing on any single thing at one time and mixing it all in. Definitely going to be just as confused as anyone when it comes to the instrument portion. Black magic I tell you. Thanks so much for the information!

I was lucky, in that I was in the very first FSXXI test class.

I literally had 7 other students with me all the way through BNAV.

That being said, what does this have to do with previous flight experience?

Nothing.