Heli-Success was a Huge success!

gary-mike

What is the big deal with this seminar? Is it just another scam to take your money? Is it worth your time and money? Am I an advertiser for the seminar?

My experience and opinion of this seminar is as follows.

It is quite possibly your best "bang for the buck" you could receive. The seminar is packed with some of the most experienced and enthusiastic speakers. They are not just speaker either, They genuinely care about helping people out and improving the industry.

This seminar is definitely not a scam, You can gain so much more out of this seminar than what you could even imagine! I actually received a standing job offer without even having a rating, just based off of networking.

Is it worth the time and money? Definitely not, don't come next year, I don't need any extra competition.

No. I am not advertising this conference, just sharing my experience in a fun way. This was such a good time, I can't wait for my third trip next year. Great meeting the guys/gals that showed up for the meet and greet. By the way, the guy many make out to be the devil (Tom) picked up the bill, he really is a great guy and does a lot to support a site that spends way too much time slamming him.

Thanks for the hospitality boatpix.

• Like 3

What type of job?

HEMS.

I know it will be a long time before I am ready for that. My point is more that the people you meet and the impression you give them is very important. Heli-success is a very good venue for this type of interaction.

Edited by gary-mike
  • Like 1

Personally I think you'd have a better chance at making more useful contacts working the fuel line at an airport that services a lot of helicopters, but to each his own.

As for Tom,...of course he's a great guy! If the Devil were an a**hole no one would ever make a deal with him,...ain't that right Faust?! :D Hell, if Tom looked like Elizabeth Hurley I'd pay him to fly even after the 100hrs! :lol: :rolleyes:

HEMS huh? I hope that works out for you some day (and I'm not being sarcastic,...although this post probably sounds that way)!

Personally I think you'd have a better chance at making more useful contacts working the fuel line at an airport that services a lot of helicopters, but to each his own.

If this is true someone please find me a refuelers job. I only want to work it for a week or two though, that should be plenty of time to meet literally everybody in the industry.

I took a job as a fueler and got stuck on the airlines. I still try to get to know the pilots when they do their walk arounds but I don't see it making a lot of contacts. Oh well... I'll be sure to make it to Heli success next year. This one just wasn't doable.

Edited by Fred0311

I have found it much easier to strike up a conversation while the chopper's getting fueled up, then at one of these huge events,...but that's just me I guess. Plus, I get to see these people over and over again. Pick an airport with a lot of choppers and it could work.

• Like 2

A job offer or an invite to apply when you have the time and ratings?

Yes, I suppose this is probably more accurate.

To elaborate, the short version of the conversation was "do you have a resume for me?" I answered no, "I don't even have any ratings yet." Reply "well when you get the qualifications get in touch with me, we would love to have you on our team". May not be exact quotes but, that is pretty close. So yes an offer to apply later is the term I should have used for this situation.

Weather I ever work for this company or not, I know that I made my self noticed and memorable in a positive way.

Thanks Spike,

I have been listening for over two years now. It also helped to have good examples and great advice from some great mentors.

I don't know how many times I have heard "your interview starts the first time you walk through the door" on these forums, but it has been said plenty. In fact a detailed plan for success has been laid out multiple times too, some people just don't take the time to follow such advise. Instead they come on forums and complain about how hard life is.

To elaborate, the short version of the conversation was "do you have a resume for me?" I answered no, "I don't even have any ratings yet." Reply "well when you get the qualifications get in touch with me, we would love to have you on our team". May not be exact quotes but, that is pretty close. So yes an offer to apply later is the term I should have used for this situation.

Weather I ever work for this company or not, I know that I made my self noticed and memorable in a positive way.

As you probably already know, don't wait until you have all your "qualifications" to get in touch with this gentleman. My suggestion is to send him a "thank you" note/card with an "I appreciate the time you spent with me" message and a "is it okay to keep in contact with you?" question, or a "if I need some career advice can I contact you?" request. In short, do whatever you can to maintain that connection and attempt to foster/build the long-term "interpersonal relationship" with this individual. Do this without being a pest and you may be golden.

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

Thanks Spike, I appreciate the advice and I plan to follow it.

I received some more great news that I will get to start my training very soon. Tomorrow I will be filling out school applications and going in for my medical cert. I can't wait to start the adventure!

That's what we like to call a polite brush-off. No way to tell if you're any good for the job until years down the line when you're qualified. "We'd like to have you on the team" is very different than "we've evaluated you, found you qualified, found you a good fit, and would like to have you oh the team."

That said, as Spike noted, if you've had any positive inroads such as this at all, then follow up, and follow up frequently. Often when it comes to hiring, it's the squeaky wheel, and the one standing in front of the Chief Pilot's desk at the time of the vacancy, that gets the job.

Could this have been a "brush off"? I say, who cares.... This is the jewel of the message. That is, whatever he intended, he opened the door and it's now your responsibility to stick your foot in and keep it there. THAT IS the reason for the follow-up dialog. Truthfully, it has nothing to do with getting the EMS job but rather making that personal connection because this is where true networking takes place. Furthermore, the odds are, by the time you're "qualified" this guy will have moved on to another gig. However, wherever he is, he'll be a contact as long as you MAINTAIN that connection. Get it?

Edited by Spike

avbug,

I don't know if it was a brush off since I never expressed a desire to work for this company, or inquired about possible employment prior to the comments made.

I do agree and understand that the conversation that took place was not a guaranteed position. The statement in the original post was meant more to show the benefit and importance of attending events like Heli-Success. I have years before I will be ready for any job like HEMS, within that time many things can happen, I may learn that I either do not have the capacity or the desire to pursue HEMS, or I may screw up and ruin a chance at it. I do plan on taking the advice that you and Spike have offered and stay in touch with this contact. Hopefully one day it helps me get somewhere.

Thanks for the input avbug

V/R

gary-mike

I have found it much easier to strike up a conversation while the chopper's getting fueled up, then at one of these huge events,...but that's just me I guess. Plus, I get to see these people over and over again. Pick an airport with a lot of choppers and it could work.

I understand what you are saying, I had a hard time having a good one on one conversation with people at times, more so last year than this year. It is hard to really get to know someone in a 15 minute break when a bunch of other people are trying to talk to the same person. On top of that, it is a two day event once a year so contact can be limited. This year I felt much better about it and I was more assertive and comfortable talking to people. Besides that, I have gotten to know people better in the last few years and conversations were started with me rather than me starting them.

The biggest benefit is the quality, quantity, and diversity of the people you meet at these events. I definitely feel that this web site along with repeated encounters (like refueling, only not as frequent) are really the basis of some quality networking that I have done. As a matter of fact I hate the term networking, it really is making good friends networking just sounds like you are only acting to benefit yourself. I think that is more along the lines of what you are saying happens with repeat fuel customers. (a more personal interaction). I am not above driving a fuel truck, it does sound like a good way to meet people. I am just not currently in the position to do that with my active duty military commitment. I do think your suggestion could and probably has worked in some cases.

• Like 1

Gary-Mike- Great to see you out there again. And I agree, it really sucks, most pilots should stay away next year...funny that the event sells out every year a month before!