R44 little known stuff

Goldy

Ok, since Counterrotate got the last one correctly, confirmed by IChris......I thought I would throw out one more.

I'm in the R44 Clipper 2 ready to do some tours (Part 91). I've got my seat belt on, the left seat next to me is empty so the seat belt isn't buckled. I've got two passengers in back plus a 2 year old sitting on his moms lap. Both mom and dad have their seat belts on, but there's no seat belt for the 2 year old.

Am I legal? Good to go?

If not, why not?

Edited by Goldy
  • Like 1

As a side note (question) ... if you had four adults in an R44 ... would a fifth person be legal if that passenger was under two-years old and was held by an adult passenger?

There’s no requirement for separate seats for each person under Part 91. So, the question is, what limitation in the R44 TC or RFM would prevent such operation?

If you can’t find one, it’s legal, MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Edited by iChris
  • Like 1

Forward left seat belt MUST be buckled according to the POH! Limitations section 2-5.

Yepp, pretty much nailed that one too.....damn, gonna have to make them even more obscure!

• Like 1

Goldy, I have to ask, is this really little known stuff? Any R44 pilot worth their salt knows this stuff. I think I just happened to be the first to answer.

Oh, I think you would be surprised!

I was going to put it up as a poll...but..didn't!

Digging up the Lockheed ship, now that took at least a few Google hits!

Oh, I think you would be surprised!

I would hope not. Not only is it in the POH, it's just common sense. Anything in the cockpit that can dangle or flap and get caught or jammed on a control surface should be secured, including seat belts, especially if doors are going to be off. The R44 POH also states that if doors are going to be off that aft seat belts must be buckled as well because the seat cushion can float up and anything secured underneath can exit the aircraft, possibly ending up in the tail rotor.

I would hope not. Not only is it in the POH, it's just common sense.

Common sense among helicopter pilots? BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Seriously, you don't know many helicopter pilots, do you?