Where We Came From

Ft Wolters was the best place I was ever stationed, no question. That was the most fun I ever had with my pants on. I can't believe it has been that long since I was in a TH-55.

Rucker wasn't that great, for a number of reasons. Flying instruments in a TH-13 is work, with that bubble canopy, and the sun putting the flicker of the blades on the panel. But I have to admit that flying a UH-1 was great.

• 3 weeks later...

One of our systems instructors in primary went through flight school at Ft Wolters, he was telling all of us how good we had it now.

Thats really cool to see a video of what it was like back then, and it's funny how there was only one "advanced airframe" track. I guess those guys never had to worry about what there GPA was for selection lol.

During my BWS checkride I came across an IP who was around when they were picking up cobra pilots. He said that they had to learn practically everything about the airframe; how many rivets there are and what that floating bead is made of that's on the transmission fluid window (cork wrapped in aluminum I think, if I remember correctly). Pretty nuts.

During my BWS checkride I came across an IP who was around when they were picking up cobra pilots. He said that they had to learn practically everything about the airframe; how many rivets there are and what that floating bead is made of that's on the transmission fluid window (cork wrapped in aluminum I think, if I remember correctly). Pretty nuts.

Riveting indeed. B)

• Like 2

How far did he have to walk uphill in the snow to work? and did he have to do it both ways?

How far did he have to walk uphill in the snow to work? and did he have to do it both ways?

We didn't have that much time for 'nam stories that day, I had to go learn how not to kill my IP eventually. Just wanted to point out how flight school has changed. I think the story about the uphill both ways came later.