Chopper Spotter EC-130

Nomad110

Hey guys,

I am looking to buy a couple Chopper Spotters for two locations I fly to regularly. Chopper Spotter quoted and suggested the Model 4 to do the job on the EC-130 but I wanted to ask an unbiased opinion on what to except for scratches on the skids. I know anything is better then the Eurocopter ground handling wheels...but I'm trying to get away from having to use them for 99% of my flights. From the photos I assume the Model 4 uses the clamp style at 4 attachment points. She just got a new paint job so I am trying to keep it looking it's best as long as I can. Does anyone have opinions/experience on this?

Thanks

• Like 1

Chopper Spotter quoted and suggested the Model 4 to do the job on the EC-130 but I wanted to ask an unbiased opinion on what to except for scratches on the skids. I know anything is better then the Eurocopter ground handling wheels...but I'm trying to get away from having to use them for 99% of my flights. From the photos I assume the Model 4 uses the clamp style at 4 attachment points.

For a light aircraft like the EC-130 the MS Model (9,000 lbs. capacity) is more in line. The Model 4 is an 11,000-pound capacity unit. Please remember, the EC-130’s BEW is only around 3,200 lbs. and the max gross internal is 5,351 lbs. Therefore, the MS Model has twice the capacity of the EC-130’s on the skid max weight.

In addition, moving the EC-120 or EC-130 with the Chopper Spotter requires a bit of elbow grease to balance its larger tail while maneuvering the Chopper Spotter. However, the Model 4 has four pickup points that help in balancing the helicopter. The Model 4 is for larger helicopters, so make sure you’ll be able to use the additional two hook-ups.

If you’re just moving short distances in and out of the hangar, you can get it done with the MS Model and save the difference in price. The hook-ups are metal-to-metal on both units; so a few little scratches on the skids are all part of handling a helicopter.

Edited by iChris

Why dont you just land it on a dolly cart and hook an old 3 wheel ATC to it to push it around?

I agree with the Pig (no offence intended). I land my 407 on a dolly and would never consider going back to any other system. Landings were a bit intimidating in the early going, but in reality (now), there is tons of room. 3 wheel ATV may be light to pull an EC 130-especially if you have any bit of slope on your pad like I do. This doesn't help your one man operation scenario, but could you not pull it out of the way and leave the set-up outside until you return? Maybe you go for a long period? Good luck in your search.

• Like 1

I agree with the Pig (no offence intended). I land my 407 on a dolly and would never consider going back to any other system. Landings were a bit intimidating in the early going, but in reality (now), there is tons of room. 3 wheel ATV may be light to pull an EC 130-especially if you have any bit of slope on your pad like I do. This doesn't help your one man operation scenario, but could you not pull it out of the way and leave the set-up outside until you return? Maybe you go for a long period? Good luck in your search.

I share the limited ramp space at my airport with two other large hangars. Mine is sort of between them and the ramp exit to the taxiway. One of them owns a very large jet that needs quite a bit of space and in trying to be a good neighbor I don't like to leave anything outside my door even if its just for a couple hours. As a helicopter pilot I appreciate a tidy ramp free of buckets and stuff that can be hazards to us so I try to reciprocate and always leave those guys the most area possible. It's looking like the Chopper Spotter might be the ticket for me.

• Like 2

Have you looked at the Tiger Tug? It looks very simple to use as it cradles the cross tubes with non-scratching polyurethane saddles. They look pretty snappy too.

I move my EC130 around by myself with a Helitowcart and a couple of mechanical ground handling wheels (no leaky hydraulics, just a lever bar). It's a nice set up.

The awkward Eurocopter ground handling wheels drove me crazy too.

Have you looked at the Tiger Tug? It looks very simple to use as it cradles the cross tubes with non-scratching polyurethane saddles. They look pretty snappy too.

I move my EC130 around by myself with a Helitowcart and a couple of mechanical ground handling wheels (no leaky hydraulics, just a lever bar). It's a nice set up.

The awkward Eurocopter ground handling wheels drove me crazy too.

Wow thanks for sharing. The Tiger Tug is a little more expensive but seems much nicer and I like the saddle idea. I'll give them a phone call.

Can you show me the ground handling wheels that you use with your EC-130 that doesn't have hydraulics? I've been trying to find something that is a little lower profile and lighter that I can fly with that wont leak hydraulic fluid all over my cargo hold. Honestly they are the worst. I have done a seal kit on those things twice already.

I purchased the wheels from these guys:

http://www.brackettaircraft.com/manualwheels.htm

The website doesn't show the set for an EC130 but they do make them. Another local EC130 owner bought a set as well and he can't believe how much easier they are to use than the factory hydraulic ones either.

Hey Cherminator, great to meet you at the expo.

We have two helitowcarts and i can't say enough about them, great product and super quick service. One even has a GPU add-on that works great, you just roll the cart out and plug it in.

We have moved EC120s, L3s, 500s, a Bell 47, R44s, MD500 and Schweizers. During the air show we pulled two aircraft to the other side of the airport on just one charge.

We have also pulled a cart (landing pad, the one in my avatar photo) with a 500 on it quite a bit, but we had to put a larger breaker in it and give it a push some times.. we were told it wasn't made to pull such weight but it did just fine.

dp

I purchased the wheels from these guys:

http://www.bracketta...anualwheels.htm

The website doesn't show the set for an EC130 but they do make them. Another local EC130 owner bought a set as well and he can't believe how much easier they are to use than the factory hydraulic ones either.

Sorry just to clarify, did you say you also had a manual (non-hydraulic) set from Bracket Aviation. I'm trying to find something that would be lighter to fly with and take up less room.

They told me they could sell me this but with the EC-130 brackets:

http://www.brackettaircraft.com/u-140spec.sht.htm

Is that what you did?

It was a pleasure meeting you at Heli-Expo as well DP.

Yes, those are the wheels I use. They are a mechanical throw, no hydraulics, no oil leaking everywhere. You just grab the bar and throw it over to lift the machine up on the wheels. Quick and easy. No furious pumping necessary as with the Eurocopter wheels.

They are lighter, but I don't know about smaller. I sold my Eurocopter wheels so I never compared them.

If you're looking for compact ones, check out these guys. Maybe they make a set for the EC130, I don't know:

http://www.paravion....andling-wheels/

Yes, those are the wheels I use. They are a mechanical throw, no hydraulics, no oil leaking everywhere. You just grab the bar and throw it over to lift the machine up on the wheels. Quick and easy. No furious pumping necessary as with the Eurocopter wheels.

They are lighter, but I don't know about smaller. I sold my Eurocopter wheels so I never compared them.

If you're looking for compact ones, check out these guys. Maybe they make a set for the EC130, I don't know:

Excellent thank you for sharing this. So I called Paravion and they haven't made one for the EC-130 only because Eurocopter wasn't sending them a measurement on the skids. So I am working with them to get one built and they kindly offered to send me the first one. Great guys. I like it even more then the manual versions because it's compact, lighter at only 50lbs total, and doesn't have air inflated tires that will invariably be flat the day you need them.

Thanks!

Do they still fit in the rear luggage area?

Thanks

Chuck

Excellent thank you for sharing this. So I called Paravion and they haven't made one for the EC-130 only because Eurocopter wasn't sending them a measurement on the skids. So I am working with them to get one built and they kindly offered to send me the first one. Great guys. I like it even more then the manual versions because it's compact, lighter at only 50lbs total, and doesn't have air inflated tires that will invariably be flat the day you need them.

Thanks!

So....I have some bad news. Paravion did an amazing job prototyping a set for the EC-130. They sent them to me but the design is just a little too small for the larger tubes on the EC-130. The are not able to adapt the AStar's or B407's design to make it work and would essentially have to design one from scratch. Understandably the set up cost is just too great to make them for just one customer. He told me that if I could rally up 5 customers for about $5000 for a pair we could make it happen. I only know of maybe 1-2 others who have shown mild interest. If anyone is interested PM me. If we get 5 then maybe we can do this.

We are in proces of making new dolley with electric drive & remote stearing rather than the old Lister diesel, had this one for 20 + years, & built in.

ground power.

Tried Cspoter what a pain to fit, & it went TU on us, a dolley is the way, + way more versatile.DSCF0044.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used a chopper spotter for my Squirrel. I sold the helicopter some time back now, but kept the spotter in case I got another.

Now decided to sell it.

I had had it adapted so it also acts as a 'GPU'

Please contact me if interested.

Richard

what country \ state ? would help

• 1 month later...