Training Helicopter Question

I am interested in getting a Private license and eventually turning it into a career. However the only school close to me uses Bell Jet Ranger as its helicopter, most places use an R-22. Is it a problem that this is the only training helicopter available? Will it affect my career goals by doing this? Also this particular instructor said going from zero time to CFI will run approximately $90,000-$100,000. Is this a steep price? Or would it be considered fair?

The cost of going from 0 to CFII at 200 hours is around 60k to 100k depending on how long it takes you (i.e. how often you fly)! The average cost per hour in the R22 is around $300.

Don't do your training in a Jet Ranger, you'll never find a job as a low time pilot!

Find another school!

There is a huge problem with me finding another school... There's not one that doesn't require me moving. The website for the school is www.wessonaviation.com if this will help anyone provide more information as far as the helicopter goes. My dad is working on his ppl in fixed wing so I know I could achieve this much cheaper, but really am infatuated with helicopter more so than planes.

Ok.... Maybe we can help you find a school in AL. As far as the Jet Ranger, you wont do your training in it. I cant imagine the owner would ever let you solo it so there is a miscommunication on that part. I doubt they do initial training in it.

Edited by Flying Pig

If that place is a school, it sure doesn't look it by their website! What type of job is he telling you you'll be able to get after training with him in his Jet Ranger?

If you're unwilling to move for training, what will you do if the only company who is offering you a job (at a pay rate of $400/mo) is 2000 miles away?

The military uses the Jet Ranger as primary trainer for many good reasons and high on that list is the fact that the military is all turbine. They have a limited amount of time to make new aviators to fly an all turbine fleet and are part of a massive bureaucracy to support this. Not so for commercial aviation, especially for low-time pilot jobs. If you don't have the finances and/or business acumen to acquire and operate a Jet Ranger to build time in, doing your primary in one would slow your experience (time building) to a near zero rate.

If you won't move to train, are you going to move to work? No either or both determine your options after you spend a considerable amount of time and money.

Its not that I am against moving so much as an issue of finances. I will be paying training cost as i go and refuse to take a loan out. I have to work to pay for it and as my current car sales position will easily allow me to do this, moving my family and finding another job that pays as well as my current one does is the main thing keeping me from moving. This is not necessarily a school so much as it is an independent CFI. I have not asked him about training in another helicopter as this is the only one i found on the website. However moving if offered a job would be no issue for me. I am well accustomed to living off ramen noodles beans and rice. I was in retail for years and got used to living paycheck to paycheck. Even if I don't turn it into a career, I just want to fly. As a hobby, a very expensive hobby.