new pilot ! Looking to buy ROTORWAY ?

derekmcm

Wow...after having been to the helicycle "factory" in person, and then seeing the rotorway factory in that video...what a difference.

Rotorway reminds me of a smaller scale Robinson factory. Clean, professional, got it together, oh and clean! Nice looking facility, and that to me shows they care about how they portray themselves and how well they organize their manufacturing and quality control.

Helicycle I cannot say how good or bad they manage their quality control, but I can say their shop is a horrid mess. The office looks like paper work from hell not filed for 20 years, the shop looks worse, and I have seen back street car repair centers more organized and clean. The building is hard to find and they lack anything resembling a business sign such as they are.

When you compare the ships, they both look amazing and are going to attract a buyer. When you compare factories.....wow what an amazing difference in the two.

Among other things, since this engine has solid lifters they must be kept adjusted. More importantly is the need to run high zinc/phos oil…this is well known for most cars and other solid lifter engines. I use Valvoline Not Street Legal racing oil or the Amzoil counterpart. Both have the highest Zinc/Phos I could find…and I looked hard. The Z/P levels exceed EPA for street legal cars.

Note some guys just use regular oil and explains some of the problems in my mind.

If you don’t’ and many owners didn’t…you ruin it. Same thing with cars. This is old news with racers.

I also run MotorKote in mine:

Another issue is Avgas. RW engines don't seem to like lead, but some guy run it anyway. Some owners claim a 50% reduction in TBO on Avgas, and other say that's bunk, but do agree that it cause stuck valves.

To me it's clear, this is a hybrid high performance water cooled Porshe/VW engine...I can't imagine them liking Avgas. I don't run it...and it's a shame...I have an Avgas pump right here at my hanger/home. Instead have to drive to the gas station. Am considering running E-0 100, instead of E-10 85/90. Can't buy E-0 anywhere near Houston.

What's the deal with the turbine rotorway? Wasn't that supposed to be out by now as a certified ship?

I can ask some guys that have the inside scoop, but my take is that they don't have the cash-flow to fund such an expensive development and certification project. Their accountant probably said "Nope...can't do it", or it could have been their Lawyer who said the same thing.

Seen this yet:

twin engine...100 HP Hirths

Looks like it still needs work...or need a better demo/test pilot.

I can ask some guys that have the inside scoop, but my take is that they don't have the cash-flow to fund such an expensive development and certification project. Their accountant probably said "Nope...can't do it", or it could have been their Lawyer who said the same thing.

The guy in the news segment seemed so confident that he was going to undercut the R66 on price, I'm sure Robinson said, yeah, good luck with that!! Certified ships are a whole other ball of wax I bet.

Rick Ferrin

Mark Peterson is fond of reminding us that "we are all Rotorway Ambassadors," and should always be demonstrating the wonderful flying qualities of RW. Especially to the ill-informed.

Yesterday, this was certainly true at my house. We had a party here, with 110 people. Starting at 1300, ending at 1750, I gave 34 rides in the RW, and my son-in-law gave 20 in the J-3 Cub. One of my passengers is a fix-wing owner (Columbia 400) and thought he'd NEVER get in a RW! "Heard too many bad things." But after flying around for 15 mins, which included an auto, he's now contemplating looking for one.

Another passenger, another airline guy, came away with the same response. All in all a great day, with perfect weather, demonstrating how much fun these ships can be. Thanks to all in ROG's who keep wearing the Ambassador banner It's making a difference.

Rick Ferrin

St. Cloud, FL

Rick Ferrin

All in all a great day, with perfect weather, demonstrating how much fun these ships can be. .

Rick Ferrin

St. Cloud, FL

Its all fun up until some one gets hurt. Go certificated time proven designs !

Its all fun up until some one gets hurt. Go certificated time proven designs !

I agree...if you can afford it. But...If not... it boils down to 1.) not flying at all 2.) flying fixed wing, trike, or gyro 3.) flying un-certified helicopter

If I could afford one I've have a Robbie...but I can't.

There are the occasional Brantlys or Hillers in the RW price range...which some think is a better choice and some don't. I'm sitting on the fence on those options.

Let's see... I've put 200 hours on my Rotorway in the last 14 months. 6.9 hrs last Saturday. Great ship. I recommend each person do his/her due diligence. For example. the Chief PIlot for Sikorsky has owned and operated is own Rotorway for 10 years, flying it now and then to work. I know many professional helicopter pilots who love and own RW's.

Let's see... I've put 200 hours on my Rotorway in the last 14 months. 6.9 hrs last Saturday. Great ship. I recommend each person do his/her due diligence. For example. the Chief PIlot for Sikorsky has owned and operated is own Rotorway for 10 years, flying it now and then to work. I know many professional helicopter pilots who love and own RW's.

And Rick not only “flies” it…he uses it to go places and have fun and share the joy of flying with many other people…including me.

Thanks Rick…

Or this:

01-17-2014, 03:58 PM

By bryancobb

My comments about cracked blades angered some people. My belief is that EVERY BRANTLY OUTER BLADE WILL CRACK. Nice thing is, they are cheap and can be replaced as singles. I cracked two blades about two years apart. Replacements from the dead guy were $2,500 per.

Some Brantly guys blamed my (and all) cracked skins on poor maintenance and improper rigging. I assure you. My head and rigging was "spot on" by the book. The true cause is a skin of only 0.018" bonded with essentially rubber cement, to polystyrene foam, being pushed and pulled on by stiff dampeners with no doublers at all.

post-41260-0-48570000-1390332590_thumb.jpg

Everything designed and built by man has some inherent problems. It takes time and the force of will to work the bugs out…assuming the product life will allow. The Space Shuttle, Chevy Vega or the GM 350 diesel…no.

The Bell 206 series has flown over 32 million flight-hours. The record shows that the Jet Ranger is the most reliable helicopter in the world According to the NTSB, the 206 series helicopters are the safest single engine aircraft ever made including fixed wing airplanes.

Now that’s indeed a proven track record.

Most advocates are aware that over the 53 years Rotorway has existed, they have made countless improvements to their design…as one might expect.

It’s not fair or prudent to take over 50 years of history…some of which is invariably bad (pick anything that old that doesn’t have some baggage...except the 206)…and judge the current model based on that.

Also note, that much of the old fleet has incorporated many…if not all of the current improvements.

• Like 2

Jeff Dunham's 1st part of an 8-part story of building and flying two Rotorways. He also talks about them in his book.

http://www.kitplanes.com/magazine/rotorcraft/204-1.html

http://www.kitplanes.com/magazine/rotorcraft/205-1.html

Reposted:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

By: Paul Haynes

Re: Rotorway Talon Feedback

2011 model Talon flying in 2012 with 100 hrs at present. Negatives by this builder, body panels are a pain, did not like supplied electric clutch, would like a little more power and bigger fuel tank, Now the pluses, flies smooth @ 90knots, better auto's than a 300, likes tail rotor drive, overall lower maintenance than expected

• 1 month later...

On March 28th there are two helicopter drive/fly/ins in Florida. One is in Lake City (Rotorway) and the other is just south in Trenton (Mosquito).

To expand on Chuck's previous post, the event in Lake City for Rotorway is March 28, 29, 30. This is a semi annual fly-in. All are welcome. You'll have multiple opportunities for RW rides and dual from a very seasoned (6000 hr+ in RW) CFI. Contact Bob St. Dennis (904-704-9258) for additional information.

Rick Ferrin

Rick thanks for the correction, we have a Houston fly-in on the 15th and I got my dates crossed up.

Note that in addtion to RW and Mosquito gatherings, just prior there is Bensen Days. Hopefuly some Rotorways will attend B-days, there has been a lot of interest expressed.

March 26-29, 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE2vxNMQZw4#t=26

Reposted:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

By: Paul Haynes

Re: Rotorway Talon Feedback

2011 model Talon flying in 2012 with 100 hrs at present. Negatives by this builder, body panels are a pain, did not like supplied electric clutch, would like a little more power and bigger fuel tank, Now the pluses, flies smooth @ 90knots, better auto's than a 300, likes tail rotor drive, overall lower maintenance than expected

HA! Who doesn't want more power and a bigger fuel tank?

Lake City on Saturday, Trenton Sunday and down to Tampa for S&F - I should be helo'd out! Check ride scheduled for the previous weekend. Hopefully I'll pass and be in high spirits.

Don't miss Bensen Days March 26-29, 2014 in Wauchula, lots of fun stuff and several helis. This is a really fun event. You'll be able to fly at most of these events.