Who Trained You?

79 members have voted

1. 1. I am a...

• Civilian trained pilot
    • Military trained pilot
    • Student in training (civilian)
    • Student in training (military)
    • Hope to be a student soon (at a civilian school)
    • Hope to be a student soon (at a military school)

I cannot account for every possibility! If your situation doesn't fit, just write what it is.

Is it not possible to make it so you can select multiple options? If not, then, well, obviously that's fine, but I think that's the point DS_HMMR and I were making.

Is it not possible to make it so you can select multiple options? If not, then, well, obviously that's fine, but I think that's the point DS_HMMR and I were making.

I can't think of every scenario! Plus I'm not that computer savey! So what's the deal with you two? Did you get half way through your PPL at a civilian school, then decide to join the Army and let them finish it?

Edited by pilot#476398

I can't think of every scenario! Plus I'm not that computer savey! So what's the deal with you two? Did you get half way through your PPL at a civilian school, then decide to join the Army and let them finish it?

Relax. We were just making a suggestion.

For me, I'm a civilian-trained CFI and am applying for the Army WOFT program.

Relax. We were just making a suggestion.

For me, I'm a civilian-trained CFI and am applying for the Army WOFT program.

Then considering you are finished with your civilian training and actually working as a pilot in the civilian sector, I would say that makes you a "Civilian Trained Pilot" for the purposes of the survey.

Edited by Flying Pig

Then considering you are finished with your civilian training and actually working as a pilot in the civilian sector, I would say that makes you a "Civilian Trained Pilot" for the purposes of the survey.

Yep, that's what I answered on the survey. ;)

Well, the question is asked wrongly.

"Who trained you?" can be answered by a civilian student who was trained by an ex-military pilot as "military".

I was trained in the military, so my current and past students in the civilian world would say they were trained by a military pilot.

Well, the question is asked wrongly.

"Who trained you?" can be answered by a civilian student who was trained by an ex-military pilot as "military".

I was trained in the military, so my current and past students in the civilian world would say they were trained by a military pilot.

Not really! Its the school, not the CFI who dictates the type of training you'll recieve. A military trained pilot who is teaching at a civilian school will be teaching students the FAA way not the Army way. I don't know exactly how training works in the military, but I've always been under the impression that its way better than what we get in the civilian world?

Just out of curiosity, Lindsey, if your still out there, when you go into the military, will they be re-training you from the beginning, or does being a civilian CFI alow you to start in a more advanced class?

Not really! Its the school, not the CFI who dictates the type of training you'll recieve. A military trained pilot who is teaching at a civilian school will be teaching students the FAA way not the Army way. I don't know exactly how training works in the military, but I've always been under the impression that its way better than what we get in the civilian world?

Just out of curiosity, Lindsey, if your still out there, when you go into the military, will they be re-training you from the beginning, or does being a civilian CFI alow you to start in a more advanced class?

From the beginning. I'll be no different than a zero-hour student. They want to train me the "Army way." Fine by me, more hours TT (and turbine time, at that!). ;)

We had a higher scrub rate for students already holding a civil rating, even an instructor rating, because they wanted to do things "their way" and not the military way.

If you are already licensed, make sure you keep a low profile, don't argue with the instructors over some point. Bite your tongue.

• Like 1

We had a higher scrub rate for students already holding a civil rating, even an instructor rating, because they wanted to do things "their way" and not the military way.

If you are already licensed, make sure you keep a low profile, don't argue with the instructors over some point. Bite your tongue.

That's definitely the plan.

I've heard that before, but you wouldn't happen to have a specific example of the types of thing we'd end up arguing over?

Any idea how many of those that got scrubbed were prior service?

Someone with more than a few hours under their belt with no military background that went through WOFT I can definitely see arguing over things. Not everything the military does makes sense, and that's where the problem is. Someone who has been flying/instructing for a while already that doesn't know and accept this will have problems. It can be really hard to bite your tongue sometimes...

I feel like prior service who got out, got their certs and then joined back up might be a little more hip to the fact and know to suck it up and drive on. I've been known to be wrong before though...

• Like 1

None were prior service, all were late teens or early 20s and civil instructors. They tended to try to tell their coursemates how to do things, which gets the military instructors a bit off-side because the students then have to un-learn things. The Law of Primacy is quite strong, and if a student is told the wrong thing, it is worse than starting from scratch.

• Like 1

I was talking with a URS instructor about this very thing. He said the only issue he had was with a non prior service civilian pilot who had a decent amount of jet ranger and huey time as an Ag pilot. He said he said the issue was that in ground lessons the student was continually interjecting his thoughts and techniques into the ground lesson and during flights the student took instruction more as a suggestions. One of the big issues was complete disregard for checklists. At one point when the student said "That doesnt work for me." during a particular manuever or something, that ended with a meeting with someone further up the chain. But the student did not get washed out. So the attitude adjustment must have worked.

Thats the story I got anyway.....

At what point is someone a pilot and not a student?

Never......I think that was your point.