GI Bill "Last Semester" Exception Clause

I've been told (by someone who should know) that there is an exception during your last semester of school that allows you to enroll in more than one flight course. If this is the case, I plan to sign up for my CFI and Instrument Flight portions during this coming Fall semester. I wouldn't care about doing this if my initial funding hadn't been delayed for 5 months. I would already be through CFI, and just have to do Instrument in the Fall.

If this clause is a real thing, I can use it just like I said, and not have to take Instrument in the Spring of 2014. That would waste months of bennies for just the one course.

Is there anyone here who has heard of this?

Is there anyone here who has used this?

Is there a VA Rep here who can confirm this?

Can someone point me to where I can see this in writing?

Thanks!

• Like 1

The way I understand it is the VA will cover any course offered at the college during your last term as long as you have not already taken it. I took advantage of this by registering for a second turbine flight lab. So, it does exist and it does work.

Now I can't wait to hear all the responses about how its such a bad idea to fly a turbine while being such a nugget in the copter world.

The way I understand it is the VA will cover any course offered at the college during your last term as long as you have not already taken it. I took advantage of this by registering for a second turbine flight lab. So, it does exist and it does work.

Now I can't wait to hear all the responses about how its such a bad idea to fly a turbine while being such a nugget in the copter world.

Why would there be one than one turbine flight lab? What's the difference?

Why would there be one than one turbine flight lab? What's the difference?

Had a feeling that question would come up. It's because of the way the flight labs were set up before. For turbine, you could do long line, NVG, or mountain flying. Each one had a different course designation (AV227A, AV227B, and AV227C) I had already taken A, so for the last term deal I took C.

Its not a bad idea, its just a waste of money!

Yeah but it's not their money. The GI Bill is paying for it. If the GI Bill is paying for turbine transitions, that could be the difference in getting hired for their first turbine job over some civilian CFI who couldn't afford a transition.

• 1 month later...

Yeah but it's not their money. The GI Bill is paying for it. If the GI Bill is paying for turbine transitions, that could be the difference in getting hired for their first turbine job over some civilian CFI who couldn't afford a transition.

No.

It is and always has been the guy or girl who calls your prospective employer and recommends you. I would like to see ANYONE out there that says 50 hours turbine with your mighty 200-300 hours is the defining factor on being hired.

Or,

I would like to hear operators like Ditch tours or TEMSCO say that 50 hours puts you at the top of the list. It is a waste of money period, even if its not yours.

To those choosing to do turbine w/ GI money. Keep in mind that they are cutting the armed forced by almost 20%, there is a huge spending problem, and you getting your rocks off in a turbine is not part of the solution, just the problem.

No.

It is and always has been the guy or girl who calls your prospective employer and recommends you. I would like to see ANYONE out there that says 50 hours turbine with your mighty 200-300 hours is the defining factor on being hired.

Or,

I would like to hear operators like Ditch tours or TEMSCO say that 50 hours puts you at the top of the list. It is a waste of money period, even if its not yours.

To those choosing to do turbine w/ GI money. Keep in mind that they are cutting the armed forced by almost 20%, there is a huge spending problem, and you getting your rocks off in a turbine is not part of the solution, just the problem.

Lol! I don't need to get my rocks off in a turbine through the Gi Bill. Uncle Sam paid for my 4,000 turbine hrs the old fashioned way, I worked for it.

CaptainDune,

Glad to see this post come back to life, as I still don't have a definitive answer to my question. I hope to get something from the VA rep at my school soon. I will post here with whatever I find out.

I know from some of your older posts that you are pretty well-versed in the Gi Bill rules. Can you tell me if you have heard of this exception to the rule?

It looks like the mystery might have been solved. The last semester thing doesn't work to take more than one flight course, because that would still exceed the total cost for the semester limit. What it does is it allows the student to sign up for courses that are not part of your degree program. This is so that you can still get to twelve credits if you have less than that left for your aviation degree.