Medical Certificate and VA Disability

I received my 2nd Class Medical Certificate last year and about a month ago I passed my PPL checkride, and I'm working towards my instrument rating now. A few days ago I received a decision packet in the mail from Veterans Affairs awarding me a rating for compensation. None of my conditions affect my ability to fly whatsoever, but I've heard the FAA checks medical certificates with VA disability ratings and if the two don't match you can get in some pretty serious trouble. Do I need to contact an AME immediately to let them know about my newly received VA compensation, or am I ok to wait until I renew my medical certificate and fill in the paperwork appropriately at that time? Thanks for your help!

The FAA asks on your medical form if you've ever been physically disqualified by the military, such as a MEPS entrance exam.

If you've declared your medical condition honestly on your flight physical application, then you have no concerns at all with what the VA does. If, for example, you are missing a limb and declared this, but have been issued a medical certificate, then that's the end of the matter so far as the FAA is concerned. If the VA were to come back and state that you're 50% disabled, that has no bearing on your FAA medical.

If you were to experience reduced vision in one eye and yet were still able to hold a medical certificate after an exam by an aviation medical examiner, then you're done with worrying about it. If you're declared disabled because of your vision by the VA, it doesn't change your standing with respect to your medical certificate, at all.

If instead you hold a medical certificate but develop a condition six months down the line that makes you medically unfit, your medical isn't valid at that time, regardless of whether anyone else knows about your condition or not.

I developed kidney stones about five months after receiving a first class medical cert, some years ago. Neither the FAA nor my AME knew about it. The FAA had no means of discovering this from the doctor that was treating me. Never the less, I brought it to the attention of my AME as well as two other physicians, and fully documented the matter before presenting to the FAA. I was medically invalidated for three months until it was resolved, but at no time was there any formal declaration by the FAA. I just didn't meet medical standards. Same for someone who has a head cold. Get hit with a laser one night and lose temporary vision in one eye: you might hold a current medical certificate, but you have a disqualifying condition for a time, and still can't use that medical certificate until it's resolved or you're cleared by your AME.

If you can pass standards for a medical certificate after having declared your condition, then that's all the FAA needs to know, or that the FAA is concerned about. There is no place on the application for a medical certificate in which the FAA asks what level of disability has been assigned you by the VA.

You should check with your AME just in case. If it's something such as seeing a professional health doctor in regards to, lets say PTSD, and you were evaluated as having PTSD, you would have to report that on the medical form for your specific class medical, and in some cases you may even need to attain a waiver from a medical professional. A couple guys I know who fly at our school were diagnosed with PTSD and had to receive a waiver from a professional doctor (not sure if it was a mental health doctor, might have been) stating that the individuals were safe to fly even having been diagnosed with PTSD. They took those waivers to the AME and had no issues getting medical certificates.

I received my 2nd Class Medical Certificate last year and about a month ago I passed my PPL checkride, and I'm working towards my instrument rating now. A few days ago I received a decision packet in the mail from Veterans Affairs awarding me a rating for compensation. None of my conditions affect my ability to fly whatsoever, but I've heard the FAA checks medical certificates with VA disability ratings and if the two don't match you can get in some pretty serious trouble. Do I need to contact an AME immediately to let them know about my newly received VA compensation, or am I ok to wait until I renew my medical certificate and fill in the paperwork appropriately at that time? Thanks for your help!

There's no requirement to notify the FAA. As you say, None of my conditions affect my ability to fly whatsoever. The only requirement is 61.53.

Make sure your medical condition is as you stated, you could be wrong. Ask another AME and check it out.

§ 61.53 Prohibition on operations during medical deficiency.

[a] Operations that require a medical certificate. Except as provided for in paragraph of this section, no person who holds a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter may act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person:

[1] Knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation;

Edited by iChris

I filed my VA claim nearly 3 years ago and it's just now getting approved. It was originally denied last year long before I got my medical certificate, and I decided not to file an appeal so I figured that was the end of it. Now out of nowhere they've changed their mind and decided to award me a rating, and some of the things I've been awarded a rating for I never even originally claimed so none of it is on my airman medical certificate. I'm going to talk to my flight instructor tomorrow to figure all of this out. I figure worst case scenario the AME will suspend my medical certificate while everything gets evaluated and I'll just be a bit behind in school. That sure beats not being able to be a pilot though!

So you're getting paid for things you didn't claim? Either get them removed or claim them on your FAA medical application. Simple.

They tell ya (briefly) in the VA disability brief that your disability may prevent you from getting a job. That goes for getting a medical as well.

Edited by Velocity173