Interesting article

First thought... Where did he train (Didn't his CFI explain the potential problem of leaving a helo unattended) ?! Second thought... What part of his brain came up with that being a good idea.

I've flown some R22s with collectives that would raise on their own, even with the rpm rolled down and the frictions on. Certainly out if normal specifications after I've compared it to what the collectives are set at in newly post overhaul birds. I'm glad that he's ok and I'm curious under what circumstances someone bothers to wears a helmet in a 22.

• Like 1

I do some pretty decent mountain flying in a Cessna T206 as part of my job description. I had my bell rung pretty hard flying a canyon one summer day looking for "stuff" when a gust hit the plane and the side of my head smacked off the door frame. It actually left me with a decent goose egg on the left side of my head. That could have ended badly. So do I wear a helmet every time I fly the plane in the mountains now? Ummm...well.. No.... but thats not the point of the story! ;)

We are required to wear our helmets whenever we are in the helicopter. The airplane policy doesnt say anything about head gear. Who knows why.

Edited by Flying Pig

Way back when, at Ft Wolters, we were required to get out of the helicopter to evaluate the LZ, and plan the takeoff. Not that mesquite trees are that high, but it was for training. Supposedly one took off on its own once, but generally it was never a problem leaving them frictioned down at idle. But now and then, however careful you may be, defecation occurs.

Why as PIC, would you choose to not be PIC(Pilot in Control) of your A/c? If you have to get out for any reason, other than your ass being on fire, common sense dictates that the A/c should not be running in the first place. Insurance agencies love this kind of sh*t. This is how they make money. As for wearing the helmet, at least he was, "that smart". I wear a helmet anytime I ride a bike, ski/snowboard or start sh*t with a woman. The best instructor I had once told me, that it isn't the initial impact that will kill you, but the secondary impact that results from your noggin hitting something inside the A/c. Just something to think about.

In the commercial side of the helicopter industry time is money. To shutdown and cool down then restart (another cycle on the starter in turbines) it costs more money. If it can be done safely an it's cost effective then the employer allows it.

• Like 2

In the commercial side of the helicopter industry time is money. To shutdown and cool down then restart (another cycle on the starter in turbines) it costs more money. If it can be done safely an it's cost effective then the employer allows it.

Yup, roll down to idle, set the frictions and get out and do what you gotta do...hook up the bucket, pee, fuel up, make a phone call asking the boss where exactly he wants you to go...

FLying in the mountains I was have always been trained to never shut down in a place where you cant get help. Doing SAR or remote operations, thats pretty much everywhere. So hot fueling and or getting out and doing things is an acceptable risk. Idle, friction locks on, etc. I have a non-pilot partner all the time, so its usually him who gets out. But if needed, I do occasionally get out with the engine running if needed. Generally for the above stated reasons. Pee, hook up long line and cinch collar, especially in river rescue operations where minutes are an eternity.

• Like 2

Getting out with the aircraft running is pretty much standard operations in the utility world, for many of the a fore mentioned reasons. However double checking that the controls are locked and the throttle is all of the way in idle is a great idea, just common sense. As far as the helmet is concerned I think the jury is still out. Some of us believe that pilot discomfort and fatigue is just a crucial to safety, also the loss of some vision and head movement can be a problem. If a helmet suits your current situation great, wear it!

• Like 1