Hunter Army Airfield/ Ft. Stewart

I wanted to reach out to the WO's here on the forums to see if anyone here is currently stationed at Hunter AAF/ Ft. Stewart. I'm in the Marine Reserve unit stationed aboard Hunter and will be up in Savannah this coming weekend for drill. If anyone is willing to, I would greatly appreciate getting some face time with a WO and pick your brains on a more personal level than just posting on the forums. Also, if anyone knows any WO's at Hunter and think they would be up for it, that would be great too.

Lastly, if there are any WOFT hopefuls in the area, we should meet up as well. Compare notes and ideas, build a off the computer screen community.

I wanted to reach out to the WO's here on the forums to see if anyone here is currently stationed at Hunter AAF/ Ft. Stewart. I'm in the Marine Reserve unit stationed aboard Hunter and will be up in Savannah this coming weekend for drill. If anyone is willing to, I would greatly appreciate getting some face time with a WO and pick your brains on a more personal level than just posting on the forums. Also, if anyone knows any WO's at Hunter and think they would be up for it, that would be great too.

Lastly, if there are any WOFT hopefuls in the area, we should meet up as well. Compare notes and ideas, build a off the computer screen community.

Won't be many people there on a weekend but if you go in on a weekday they'll be everywhere. Just walk 100 yards across the street and you'll find plenty of 60 & 58 guys willing to talk to you about WOFT. Go to one of the trailers around 0930. That'll give them 30 mins to relax and drink their coffee first. :)

Edited by Velocity173

Haha I don't have any week days up there coming up at all and I'm not one as an E-3 to just barge into a room full of officers haha. The Corps has me trained to avoid situations like that. I would like to get more networking at Hunter though. If I lived closer to savannah (I live in Florida) I would definitely consider stopping by on a weekday.

You would be suprised what cold calling a CW5 can lead to. Don't be afraid to talk to officers/warrant officers, it's one of the reasons I got into flight school.

You're right, it worked for me. I just googled the name of a CW5, looked up the address online for where he was at. Wrote a letter and put it in the mail. Within a couple weeks received a call and an email from him. Have been in contact since and he wrote me a great LOR. Doesn't hurt to try all avenues.

No one is going to care if you show up out of the blue. The enlisted share those trailers as well so it's not just officers in there. All four airframes are there so pick a unit that flys the aircraft you want and ask if there are any warrants around that wouldn't mind answering questions about WOFT and flying in the Army. Believe me, it will give them a break from sitting around and BSing or doing paperwork. Really the best time to get them is at 1300 when they are returning from chow.

You'll find there is way less distinction between the interaction of enlisted with officers from what you're used to in the Corps. This is sometimes a disappointment for former Marines coming into the Army. A warrant in the Corps is treated like a God, in the Army on an airfield, you're just one of many. Obviously show them the proper respect, but a conversation will be far more laid back than you realize. They too were in your shoes.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys I know I've been AWOL for a while, but I'm back! I'm stuck at Hunter for a few days, if anyone is at Hunter and wants to grab a beer or talk aviation let me know. I think I'm going to call the 160th unit and see if there are any bored pilots hanging out.