New school getting VA approved in San Deigo CA.... Worried....

So a school in California just partnered with a school in Las Vegas. Its 100% VA approved, so you know the whole gimmick. Here is the thing, I live in California and this school would make sense for me. I have been researching schools for a few months now (Since May 2013) and I know what to kind of look for and what seems odd.

Here is the problem, they will only be training in a R44 and 300c I believe (R44 for sure) When I asked about having no R22 and how it would limit MY job perspective he said it was crap and would like to talk who said that. ( I believe flying pig said this but I can not confirm this)

Anyways what are your opinions?

Was planning on going starting in January, but decided better against it and to just go to a community college for 2 years and get my associates then when everything is worked out with a different school in California called Civic Helicopters, go to that one. But would still like your opinions

Thank you J

Flying Pig isn't the only one who said it. I promise you that.

You need to look at what other schools are instructing their students in. Therein lies your answer.

Really, though, if you've been doing the research, you already know the answer....

Heck, there's even regulatory information that will back it up. SFAR 73...

To instruct in an R44 you need to be endorsed and have...

-200 hrs total helicopter time

-and 50 hours in the R44 (25 of which may be substituted with R22 time)

To instruct in an R22 you need to be endorsed and have...

-200 hours total helicopter time

-and 50 hours R22 time

If you don't get those 50 hours of R22 time during your training... well... no R22 instructing job for you.

Im still do not understanding the whole hours thing, I guess I still need to research more.

total helicopter time, is that in both 22 and 44 or is that just say 44 then get 50 in 22 I can fly/instruct in both?

thank god I decided to put this off for a year or so.

Civic was one of the first schools I found when I started my search, I would love to go there but I plan on doing the whole post 9/11 to get my ratings. They have not opened up a college program with it yet, but I did speak to the mean guy that over looks the flight training, and he said, they are looking into partnering with a college based out of Miramar. I do not mind waiting around to go to that school at all.

When I asked about having no R22 and how it would limit MY job perspective he said it was crap and would like to talk who said that. ( I believe flying pig said this but I can not confirm this)

Ask him for a list of schools who use the 300 (or R44 exclusively), so you can be prepared for the possibility of him not hiring you.

Posts like these always remind me of that poor guy who got his CFII in around 170 hours in the 300, and came on here asking about getting cheap R22 time because he couldn't find a job!

Edited by pilot#476398

total helicopter time, is that in both 22 and 44 or is that just say 44 then get 50 in 22 I can fly/instruct in both?

Total helicopter time means the total amount of hours flown in helicopters.

if you had 50 hours in the R44, 50 hours in the R22, and 50 hours in an MD500 you would have 150 hours total time in helicopters.

Did someone at the school say that the R22 was crap or someone on the board?

So a school in California just partnered with a school in Las Vegas. Its 100% VA approved, so you know the whole gimmick. Here is the thing, I live in California and this school would make sense for me. I have been researching schools for a few months now (Since May 2013) and I know what to kind of look for and what seems odd.

Here is the problem, they will only be training in a R44 and 300c I believe (R44 for sure) When I asked about having no R22 and how it would limit MY job perspective he said it was crap and would like to talk who said that. ( I believe flying pig said this but I can not confirm this)

• 2 weeks later...

I believe he said that the claim of, "having no R22 time would limit his ability to find work", was crap?

He may have not said "crap" but he basically did. He said if I could fly a 44 I could fly a 22. Which might be true.... but I wouldn't have the hours to fly the 22 at a school. Besides that I called a few weeks ago to check up on the program, and it may be shut down because of "noise complaints by homeowners or what say you" Which I don't believe since there is a helicopter company with 10+ helicopters right next to this school :/ seems ify I'm not going to this school at all.

Its more like the other way around!

Yeah It doesn't matter, I know using the GI Bill and going thru a college program school, there is going to be shadiness, and I excpect it being on this website. But being honest if they got the program together to have 22, 44, and some 300 I would do it in a heart beat. But until then its just a waiting game. Im happy getting my Associates first anyways.

Oh trust me I have no wallet, no point haha. Just do your research. Who knows I may be in the same boat and pay out of pocket one day. That's why I'm taking peoples advice, and getting a degree on top of my helicopter stuff. I love living and learning, but I will take advice from the old timers on this one. :)

• 1 month later...

Jeffs....get ahold of a copy of the FAR's. Thats the Federal Aviation Regulations. Title on the cover says FAR/AIM

There is everything about flying regulations you need in that book. It is broken into sections called parts. They are organized as best the US Government is capable of organizing by topic or main idea if you will.

Part 91 is the basic rules of the air so to speak that all pilots are expected to adhere to. In the first few pages of part 91 is listed SFAR rules. "Special FAR's"

Well ok so part 91 is there but.... I really meant to tell you as Mike pointed out haha to look at part 61.

......,so part 61 is rules that tell about how a pilot, cfi, etc can act. Such as limitations and responsibilities of the type of rating you have. Thats where that SFAR 73 is...sorry... :D

You will find one refered to as SFAR 73. This little piece of heaven is where the Robinson Helicopter is seperated from all the others. Review this written work about 20-30 times, then do that again, and a third time, but that time read it real slow and highlight the good parts.

Once you have read SFAR 73 the required 30+ times, then have a discussion with four seperate CFI's ( certified flight instructor) about what it means. Then come here and ask any further questions about it.

That part, the asking about it here, is the most fun of all.

Other than that....be careful where you begin as a student. If your in the market for a Gi program, start with a school that has first been around a few decades successfully turning out professional pilots, then added on the VA program and still has a solid turn of students. Plus...talk with the staff, and students to feel out how they mesh with you personally.

That will seriously limit your options but for good reason. Good luck and fly safe.

Edited by WolftalonID
  • Like 1

Jeffs....get ahold of a copy of the FAR's. Thats the Federal Aviation Regulations. Title on the cover says FAR/AIM

There is everything about flying regulations you need in that book. It is broken into sections called parts. They are organized as best the US Government is capable of organizing by topic or main idea if you will.

Part 91 is the basic rules of the air so to speak that all pilots are expected to adhere to. In the first few pages of part 91 is listed SFAR rules. "Special FAR's"

You will find one refered to as SFAR 73. This little piece of heaven is where the Robinson Helicopter is seperated from all the others. Review this written work about 20-30 times, then do that again, and a third time, but that time read it real slow and highlight the good parts.

Once you have read SFAR 73 the required 30+ times, then have a discussion with four seperate CFI's ( certified flight instructor) about what it means. Then come here and ask any further questions about it.

That part, the asking about it here, is the most fun of all.

Other than that....be careful where you begin as a student. If your in the market for a Gi program, start with a school that has first been around a few decades successfully turning out professional pilots, then added on the VA program and still has a solid turn of students. Plus...talk with the staff, and students to feel out how they mesh with you personally.

That will seriously limit your options but for good reason. Good luck and fly safe.

SFAR 73 is in CFR Part 61

collapse.gif Part 61 ecblank.gifecblank.gif

SFAR 73 Robinson R-22/R-44 Special Training and Experience Requirements 03/27/1995 6/30/3009 ecblank.gif ecblank.gif

SFAR 73 Robinson R-22/R-44 Special Training and Experience Requirements 06/29/2009 ecblank.gifecblank.gifecblank.gif

SFAR 100-2 Relief for U.S. Military and Civilian Personnel Who Are Assigned Outside the United States in Support of U.S. Armed Forces Operations 06/20/2010 Until Further Notice ecblank.gif ecblank.gif

SFAR 108 Special Federal Aviation Regulation No. 108--Mitsubishi MU-2B Series Airplane Special Training, Experience, and Operating Requirements 10/31/2011

Edited by Mikemv