Protecting your log book

The book itself pretty much has no value to anyone but you. The documented experience should be valuable to you but I wouldn't fret over it and its value (What do they run these days, $20?).

Electronic backups and common sense in storage is what I would recommend. I use to be concerned about keeping it in a fire proof safe, but as the years go on I have found other important documents and things to put in that small cramped fire proof safe that hold more value to me.

Over time your employment history and personal recommendations should provide future employers verification of experience rather than that raggedy old logbook. You still have a license and in the event it ever did become un-replaceable you only legally need currency documented- get another flight review and a few trips around the pattern if you can't get it recreated.

Edited by Retreating Brain Stall

My car was stolen along with my flight bag. My log book was in it. Fortunately I only had about 90rs and I did my private helo and airplane on the 41st hours. So it was easy to just start at 90hrs TT and move on. But if it was lost it now it would be ugly. I just snap an IPhone shot of each completed page and store it on my computer. If I needed to I could print out my entire logbook if I needed to. It's the poor mans version of an electronic log book :)

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 2

Some guys have a "no questions asked $xxx reward if found" statement on the first page.

After you complete a page take a cell phone pic and back it up to computer and whatever other data backups you have. Made an album in iphoto and I use backup software for two hard drives. One I leave at work so if fire and theft occur I still have all my digital stuff backed up somewhere else.