Want to do a surprise helicopter proposal - but scared of inherent risks!?

gladiacmx

Hi GUys

What do you guys think about the Eurocopter EC120 Colibri? That looks like a good looking helicopter with all the paint and the tail rotor looks pretty futuristic. It sure does look safer than the R44.

There's another company I could charter and they use the Eurocopter exclusively.

Eric. The 8x as damgerous is likely based on fatal accidents per flight hour. My studies have shown similar #'s (2-10X the fatal accident rate per flight hour, depending on which secor of the industry you look at). That being said. You likely wouldn't bat an eye about being in a car for 8 hours, so in context, its not all that risky. Also, driving in LA traffic is likely far more deadly than the national average to begin with, so I think you are just as safe flying.

Great statisics iChris, but those numbers are a bit old. The reliability on the maintance side has made huge headway in just the last 10 years.

Regarding the Robinson verses Bell thing, I would go with the Bell personally, primarily because you'll likely get a more experienced pilot by doing so. Most flight schools only let their senior pilots fly the more expensive aircraft.

Spike. I dont know, carryover from the military mindset, percieved safety enhancements, in most cases rules written by non-pilots. A better question is why dont you wear your storm trooper gear while driving. I think the obvious answer is your comfortable with the risk vs reward. In the aformentioned situatiuon however the company usually makes the decision; and reccognizes the risk from a legal standpoint and and does not place a high value on the "reward" essientialy, your comfort.

• Like 1

Where do you get your statistics??

In a country where only 1000 people die in car accidents in a year, there are less than 40 who die in aircraft accidents - by your statistics there should be 8000 helicopter deaths alone.

Far fewer people fly in helicopters. However, in the U.S. at least, there are 30-40,000 deaths in automobiles every year.

What do you guys think about the Eurocopter EC120 Colibri... It sure does look safer than the R44.

Safety-wise, I would worry more about the reputation of the company and pilots than the specific model of helicopter. If you're picking between models it should be because of passenger capacity / sex appeal, not safety.

Hi GUys

What do you guys think about the Eurocopter EC120 Colibri? That looks like a good looking helicopter with all the paint and the tail rotor looks pretty futuristic. It sure does look safer than the R44.

There's another company I could charter and they use the Eurocopter exclusively.

Again, the R44 with an experienced pilot surely has the capability to safely complete that simple rooftop landing. However, the Bell would be a much nicer experience over the R44, if you were willing to pay the extra cost.

“Rather the difference can be attributed to differences in pilots and equipment.”

Don’t go overboard on this risk and accident statistics stuff. Things happen, that’s the way of the world. However, it’s unlikely what you see below will ever happen. Thousands of successful rooftop landings have gone before and after such an event. You’re much more likely to be involved in an auto accident to or from the airport.

http://youtu.be/3pxFRoldWl4

http://youtu.be/req43elwf4E

Edited by iChris