Where does the BLS get their salary numbers from??

According to the BLS, most helicopter pilots are rich:

"According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary of a Helicopter Pilot is $111,680 annually. However, mid-range Helicopter Pilot salaries range from $81,580 to $150,480. The lowest-earning Helicopter Pilots make less than $32,020, while the highest-paid ones earn more than $129,580"

$111,680 is the AVERAGE? I would have said about half that. How do they come up with such kooky stats?

• Like 1

I remember an article once stating helicopter pilots as one of the highest paying entry level jobs at $25/hr. Obviously the author didn't bother to really research the topic, otherwise he'd seen that that's "on the Hobbs" which can easily translate to only $500-800/month!

last piston tour season i got paid 100 per day and averaged another 100 in tips per day over the course of 16 weeks working 6 days a week averaging about 4.5 hours collective per day I earned 19200 divided by round down to 400 hours = $48 per collective hour.

would have earned/logged more but left for military deployment