An interesting read!

actuator

Ridiculous that some schools take advantage like this while honest GI Bill approved Flight Schools that actually charge legitimate rates get squeezed as a result.

The school where I work charges the same reasonable rate for 'out of pocket' students as they do for the vets. Couldn't even finish reading that crap.

They should have established a cap on the training. Not the vets fault, this is the helicopter flight schools exploiting the system.

And the Vets for doing zero research about the industry and signing up to "be a pilot" because they had fun in a Chinook once and it's "free".

And the Vets for doing zero research about the industry and signing up to "be a pilot" because they had fun in a Chinook once and it's "free".

So your grouping all vets in one category? You biased against people who served? You are stereotyping people who risked their lives for their country so people like you can run your mouth about them.

If you had a GI bill maybe you would have a different perspective.

So your grouping all vets in one category? You biased against people who served? You are stereotyping people who risked their lives for their country so people like you can run your mouth about them.

If you had a GI bill maybe you would have a different perspective.

Nope. Just when the shoe fits.

Many people before you had a 60/40 GI Bill and it worked just fine. If someone has a little of their own invested they are more likely to finish compared to those getting a free ride.

I knew I would get a response like that from you. My wife is currently using her GI Bill for schooling after she already graduated from a different school but couldn't get a job in that field. I know how it all works.

Nope. Just when the shoe fits.

Many people before you had a 60/40 GI Bill and it worked just fine. If someone has a little of their own invested they are more likely to finish compared to those getting a free ride.

I knew I would get a response like that from you. My wife is currently using her GI Bill for schooling after she already graduated from a different school but couldn't get a job in that field. I know how it all works.

I bet you do.

What do you expect when you make a generalized statement about veterans.

Veterans aren't the problem, the flight schools are.

You guys get disgruntled because the GI bill drove up the costs. Yet, you blame the vets? frankly, you guys don't like the military pilots that retire either. It's not our fault we chose a different path then you, that's the contract we signed up for.

Just remember, boot camp starts every week

I bet you do.

Veterans aren't the problem, the flight schools are.

You guys get disgruntled because the GI bill drove up the costs. Yet, you blame the vets? frankly, you guys don't like the military pilots that retire either. It's not our fault we chose a different path then you, that's the contract we signed up for.

Just remember, boot camp starts every week

Yup. They can go be a warrant too if they want to be a pilot. Not suck up $300,000+ in taxpayer money when $70,000 will do the same thing. Everyone has choices and everyone has the same resources available to research the industry ;)

I bet you do.

Doesn't sound like he is grouping "all" vets into one category. Just "all" the vets who do zero research about this industry.

There's plenty of non vets who also did zero research before signing up to be "a pilot. " both vet and non vet wasted a lot of money and time due to lack of research.

• Like 2

This has to do with "Vets" because its a VA program. So lets not get to a situation where we cant see the forest because of the trees.

Let me ask this? How many vets are now acting as chief pilots or program managers or even VA reps at some of these schools? It doesn't matter that the students may not have known because there are plenty of vets pushing the agenda and telling them the story they wanted to hear. Once again, like with many issues in the helicopter industry, the helicopter monster ate its own young. Pay to work, Pay to ferry, Pay a guy already being paid so you can build time...triple charge a VA student because its government money. I believe a lot of these issues were bred because of market saturation. So many new pilots in all out hand to hand combat for a hand full of hours, it bred greed and dishonesty at an alarming rate. With the number of years this program has been offered there are now plenty of vets who are now running these very programs we are talking about. Nobody is talking about taking away your benefits. But the VA has always had restrictions on what you can use it for. When I used it, it was the 60/40 plan after you already had your private.

But yes, we have come to the point where it got out of control. Tossing out the argument about "Well....I don't see anyone cutting welfare benefits" Ehhhhhhh.....That like stopping a speeder and the entire time Im writing you your citation you are yelling "what about him? What about that guy? Hey!..... that guy just made a lane change without a signal." I just shrug and say "One crime at a time sir."

I can think of one vet who made a video who said their program set you up to go straight from CFI to EMS. Now, its since been explained to me by someone "in the know" who explained what he meant, but thats not what the video said.

Regardless of whether or not someone believes vets are being attack, nobody can argue that this needs to be reigned in. Ive said many many times in posts on this very site, that I don't know when, but that this 100% VA flight training was going to end badly and come to a screeching halt. If you didnt see it coming, then Im not sure what to tell you.

In fact, one member on this forum and I had a talk in person and my advice was fly as much as you can because this is going to end soon.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 2