Army Fixed Wing

That might make for a good W3 promotion rate in 6 - 8 years, but for the next few years FW will be packed with new to mid-grade W3s, and FW is receiving a fresh group of W3s from the 58 community.

Now, with a community full of tracked W3s, what is a hard charging W2 suppose to do for career progression? Say what you want about "the best always excel", but FW is full of guys who look great on paper because of how FW was manned until recently, and a commander is going to slot a W3 into a tracked position before a new W2 almost every time.

I dont think it would take 6-8 years though. Look at it this way, W4s with 18 years on the 5 board don't make it, they get passed over, next year they get passed over again and have 7 months to get out.

They are now, at 20 years, eligible for retirement and are getting out.

Now all those W3s can take the W4 positions and the W2s move up.

We are looking at 2-3 years to even out if this year's board results match this.

Just a theory though, I'll probably wayyyy off when the board results post.

I'm already a W3 who joined back in the early 90's, so I no longer do things for promotion purposes. W4 isn't a concern for me and I am guaranteed retirement. I am now taking jobs that are interesting, career enhancing, and challenging. In the FW community, my best options have been Staff related IE S3 Training Officer, but that's not what I want out of my career. I want to do Aviation related task as a Warrant, so I made the decision to go back to RW so I can do just that.

But isn't that the best way to do it?

You can get out if you want, your just doing what you want.

I'm sitting here, sweating because I gotta make W4 to retire, luckily my unit takes care of us, but we still have to work for it.

Curious why your still in?

But isn't that the best way to do it?

You can get out if you want, your just doing what you want.

Curious why your still in?

When I say I am guaranteed retirement, I mean I am over 18. I took a 3 year break and entered the civilian job market back in the early 2000's.

Even though I hit 20 very soon, I am looking to stay in up till my W4 look, and then I will make the decision. As of right now, I still enjoy what I do, and I don't mind the occasional ass pain the Army likes to add to my life.

Most importantly, with how things are shaping up with ISIS, I think our politicians are going to make the decision to put the ground guys back outside the wire. If this happens, I want to be part of the effort that provides the ground forces everything they need to make it back inside the wire every night. That still motivates me, and as long as I have the drive, and the physical abilities, I will keep doing this job.

• Like 3

Apache's are a hot topic at HRC

Given the way the Marines transition aircraft and people (poorly) it looks like there's going to be a lot of relatively junior in TIS (7-9 years) but experienced Whiskey pilots looking for job opportunities in the next 3-5 years. Just throwing that one out there. The Army's transition to all Apache's is on some people's radar as a potential option.

Are not all the whiskey pilots getting a zulu transition?

Probably 50/50 depending on where you are, what your quals are, and how you stand career timing-wise. Everyone doesn't do back to back flying tours so they may decide it's cheaper to not transition you and let you ride out your time doing something else, but still getting to your Op-Fly gates flying flight school, or a station pilot gig. Happened with a lot of 46 guys and some UH-1N guys (not as bad though) so I would expect something similar.

Because they are gonna do the same thing they did in the Special Ops branch. Nuke the W5 board, boot out all the 4s tring to make 5. Move up some of the W3s and then open up 3 slots for 2s.

Ultimately it's the W5s that are screwing people.

Also I edited my post, 100% seemed too high, I think FW W3 boards will be very high in the next few years.

That kind of backfired on us; W5 the last couple years was 5% selection, which did exclude a large number of W4s, but then DA approved a 3-year SELCON for SOAR aviators, (renewable every FY), so most really didn't go anywhere, they just aren't competing for promotion anymore.

That said, Chinook pilots will continue to be 90-100% for promotion to W3-4 for at least 3 more FYs. I know a guy who was up for the W4 board that didn't even have a DA photo on file, and no ORB/OMPF updates since 2008 and he got promoted.

Mike-

• Like 1

Good read and I agree on several points having the same idea for a change in career path. Also a senior W3 looking at 1st board next year knowing the terrible rates in FW. One thing I didn't consider as this was a resume check with really no intention on going to the airlines, but I should walk away with my ATP and FW CFI. Just over 20 now, I'm still here thanks to the ADSO. Does flying in circles for 4-5hrs suck, yes, and many times I do miss flying Hawks down low with a quick stop here or there. Work with a former 64 driver that really got screwed on our recent year long deployment (my unit still does 12 mos) by not flying much on his 1st FW assignment. He would like to go back to Apaches but there may be no seat or hours for him. At 15yrs TIS, he is worried about his future if he can stick it out prior to getting the cut. The rates Mike addressed above for both Chinook and Apaches for W4 promotions last year only add to the pain, at least 60s remained low so I don't feel bad. Many of the FW guys I know that got picked up AZ are good dudes, just no place for them to move up.