Osceola helicopter pilot charged with flying recklessly

Tom22

Exactly my thinking.. If the police got on the radio and said we need you to shut down, THAT is a lawful order. If they were on the helipad waving that is a cop waving, and is subject to plausible (although hardly likely) mis-interpretation.

Therefore, you propose, a cop supposedly lied in your grandpas case, so therefore, all cops are liars. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending which side youre on, most US courts do not share your opinion.

Not at all, I'm just saying until the whole story comes out I won't believe just one side.

I'm probably one of the biggest LE supporters around, but like every industry it's not 100% full of "good guys".

Exactly my thinking.. If the police got on the radio and said we need you to shut down, THAT is a lawful order. If they were on the helipad waving that is a cop waving, and is subject to plausible (although hardly likely) mis-interpretation.

If a cop wants to talk to you, rest assured, his hand-signals won't be misinterpreted. Just assuming but if it were me, I’d make eye contact and probably do a finger point, as in to say “you” with an accompanying finer curl as to say “come here”. And, more-then-likely, mouthing the words at the same time…. Cops try to make their actions obvious so they are clear and, to create witnesses….. Conversely, bad guys tend to do the opposite….

As discussed, bad decisions. It could have been the cop was trying to let pilot know of some tragic death in his family. Pilot behaved like he was guilty.

Again, Spike nailed it. Comply now and you can use the courts later to sort out legal challenges. As it stands, the pilot is out of job, on the hook for big legal bills, and will probably have a hard time finding work now. I'm sure a FAA report is in the works as well.

Another report said he just got his certificate in April. If he really is that green, perhaps he just panicked? When I was 16 driving my grandparents to the airport a cop got behind me and put on his red light. It took me a while to pull over, not because I was trying to flee or anything, but because nothing like this had ever happened to me before, so I hesitated?

He's been flying for awhile. Has a little over 1,000 hours. Just bad decision making, on more than one instance, as some here have pointed out. His first mistake upon noticing he was heavy (and he definitely should have known as soon as he pulled into a hover) was to utilize the 2 acre open field right behind the helipad to use as a takeoff area. Had he utilized the field, as it is there specifically for those situations, he would have cleared the road with more than enough room.

The second mistake, obviously, was not adhering to the deputies demand to talk to the pilot. Ground crew relayed the deputies demand to talk to the pilot upon the initial landing, and the pilot waved that off and had another load of passengers put in, proceeding on for another tour before coming back and getting out to talk to the deputy. Not getting out to talk to the deputy when the deputy wanted to talk, was the straw that broke the camels back. He would have got off with a warning if he had just got out of the helicopter when requested.

• Like 2

He's been flying for awhile. Has a little over 1,000 hours. Just bad decision making, on more than one instance, as some here have pointed out. His first mistake upon noticing he was heavy (and he definitely should have known as soon as he pulled into a hover) was to utilize the 2 acre open field right behind the helipad to use as a takeoff area. Had he utilized the field, as it is there specifically for those situations, he would have cleared the road with more than enough room.

The second mistake, obviously, was not adhering to the deputies demand to talk to the pilot. Ground crew relayed the deputies demand to talk to the pilot upon the initial landing, and the pilot waved that off and had another load of passengers put in, proceeding on for another tour before coming back and getting out to talk to the deputy. Not getting out to talk to the deputy when the deputy wanted to talk, was the straw that broke the camels back. He would have got off with a warning if he had just got out of the helicopter when requested.

Sounds like he was hot loaded, which begs the question, why did the ground crew load up the next group of passengers?

• Like 1

Not getting out to talk to the deputy when the deputy wanted to talk, was the straw that broke the camels back. He would have got off with a warning if he had just got out of the helicopter when requested.

Yep..... Something simple to do turned into a big-f'n-deal.....

Thank you for the info.... Mr. A....

• Like 1

Sounds like you have first-hand knowledge of this incident. Yes?