Is 17 to young?

Kathy1111

As said, not so much to do with age, but maturity. The short answer is yes, more than likely 17 is too young. This path takes a load of sacrifice and dedication. The average 17 year old is too concerned with being a kid and enjoying what small amount of freedom which comes with being a teenager.

Hanging out with friends and socializing while what this takes is studying and getting up early on Saturday to do ground school. Of course there are exceptions but the short answer is yes.

I'd be glad to help further, just a lot to post here. Shoot me a pm and I'll be able to offer a bit of insight.

• Like 2

Seventeen isn't too young, but as others noted, it's subjective to the individual.

I soloed at sixteen, did the private at seventeen, commercial at eighteen and went to work right after high school. I was one of two in my high school who went that route. The other did it because her father paid for everything and owned several aircraft, and as soon as she was finished with her training, she was finished with her flying.

I saw a lot more who started in or after college and began their careers there. I don't know that they were a lot more mature at the time, but it was far more common. I've worked with a lot of pilots over the years, however, who started in the 17-18 year old bracket. It's a lot more common than some might think. I know a lot of aviators who soloed on their sixteenth birthday.

You're the best judge of your grandson's readiness to undertake something like flight training.

The cost of getting to the private pilot certificate is part of the total cost of the commercial. All of the hours in the aircraft logged toward the private are part of the total hours needed for the commercial pilot certificate, flight instructor certificate, etc. Think of it as building blocks. Most people start working toward the private, then add an instrument rating and commercial, then a flight instructor certificate. Along the way, the pilot is logging hours in a logbook, which include solo and hours of instruction. The private pilot is a first step toward higher ratings that require more hours, and the money spent toward the private is part of the total cost of learning to fly and getting qualified to fly for hire.

Edited by avbug
  • Like 1

I have known 17 year old people with maturity and judgement and 37 year old people who acted like 3 year olds when things didn't go their way.

I had my Army Aviator WIngs and a Warrant at 19, and that was not unusual. I was 18 and many, many of my classmates were 18 at the start.

The auto insurance industry requires a significant premium penalty for 17 year olds, but I think that's weighted by the losses that include the significant effects of less mature individuals in that population. Finding their bodies scattered all over the terrain and the wreckage unidentifiable is a not uncommon scenario for those few, the insured losses are enormous.

A level headed 17 year old is not at significantly increased risk with careful, quality training. It will also expand horizons...

I wonder who paid for avbug's flight training at 16? Must have had quite a few paper routes.

Mom's quarters & walmart. (matter of fact? she still paying for his flights)

Edited by pokey

Pokey and Butters, you are ruining this website with your childish attacks on Avbug. Any time he posts, you two jump on and pour a load of cr@p out, with no aim other than making yourself feel good - no contribution to the topic.

Give it a break.

Well ok, if its gonna make you cry, I guess I've had enough revenge on douchbug. :(

,...wait a minute, I didn't say anything about the bug in this thread! Well now I feel like I have to?!

Edited by r22butters

Pokey and Butters, you are ruining this website with your childish attacks on Avbug. Any time he posts, you two jump on and pour a load of cr@p out, with no aim other than making yourself feel good - no contribution to the topic.

Give it a break.

it has been ruined years ago, where were you? you really want me to drag up the dirt and the slander that the bug has lied to about me? well? as clint eastwood said "doo ya punk?"

i am perfectly justified. and? for your info? there are more of us besides myself and butters.

and also? butters said nothing about the all mighty butt in this one, read! pay attention or STFU

Edited by pokey

it has been ruined years ago, where were you? you really want me to drag up the dirt and the slander that the bug has lied to about me? well? as clint eastwood said "doo ya punk?"

i am perfectly justified. and? for your info? there are more of us besides myself and butters.

and also? butters said nothing about the all mighty butt in this one, read! pay attention or STFU

Suppose that is all true- somebody was rude and nasty to you. An analogy- you're at the zoo. The monkey flings feces at you. Do you throw feces back?

I am saying that even the biggest fool on the planet might have something valuable to say at some point, let him say it. Challenge dubious postings directly, but avoid characterizing everything posted by anybody as worthless. Some of the best advice I ever got was from a colleague universally reviled as jerk. And he was, but that's beside the point here..

• Like 1

Suppose that is all true- somebody was rude and nasty to you. An analogy- you're at the zoo. The monkey flings feces at you. Do you throw feces back?

I am saying that even the biggest fool on the planet might have something valuable to say at some point, let him say it. Challenge dubious postings directly, but avoid characterizing everything posted by anybody as worthless. Some of the best advice I ever got was from a colleague universally reviled as jerk. And he was, but that's beside the point here..

well said Wally, i do respect you opinion, and all that you have experienced. Sad that this forum has come down to personal insults and slander ( i WILL drag up the dirt if i am forced to ) but for now? the quarter in the 747 is enuf for me. As far as you analogy of the monkey? well i understand, but? if a snake attacks me, i gonna kill it.

Well, 17 is the minimum age that the FAA will issue a private pilot certificate to a person! So your grandson is old enough! Yes, the flight time will count towards a Commercial Pilot's Certificate if he wants to go that route! All it takes is a lot of study and effort on his part! It's not an easy profession to start in and it only gets harder as time and experience goes by! It's a very very small industry, and its subjected to the economic moods more that some! You have to really love to fly because if you don't, it becomes a missable thing to go and do!

Kathy,

I do not believe that 17 is too young. However, regardless of age, I believe that anybody in the position of being in command of an aircraft should be mature enough to ask these questions himself (or herself). If they are not prepared to do their research on their own by going out to a flight school and asking questions there (and possibly here) they likely are not ready.

(I'm a parent with a helicopter but I'm NOT a helicopter parent...)

Glenn

Give it a break.

I keep them on the ignore list, and suggest others do the same. The signal to noise ratio is much better.

I had a student that was 17 when he started, no real drive to pursue it, he lasted a short while which I was glad for, I did not want to solo him.. Also know a fellow cfi who started at 18 worked hard got his ratings started teaching, moved on to a tour gig. It really comes down to the individual. It may well be worth getting an instructor on tap to do some ground, understand that much any thing awesome in life, this requires a great deal of work. As a low time CFI I spend hours a day reading and studying getting ready to meet students needs, learning never stops. IF your grandson is willing to put in the time and has drive, this can be an amazing career. I would be happy to chat more with you if you wish, feel free to pm me.

Give it a break.

I think the actual issue here is that they are constantly getting away with their destructive bs. Any proper admin would have shut them up a long time ago.

It's a pity because the few bad apples really do spoil the bunch rather effectively on here.