I am putting together my WOFT packet and am hoping, like most of the other candidates to stand apart from other applicants. I am trying to network to find good people to write an LOR for me.

Here is some background on myself:

Civilian, 29/m, married w/ kids

Currently reside in Indiana

Trade certificate in industrial pipe fitting and certified pipe welder

Currently a contractor that services military fueling systems around the country

Asvab: 89

GT: 131

Will travel to meet officers for LOR

I bought my study guides for the SIFT today and will be studying those hard as I am trying to make the March board.

If you want more info, dont hesitate to ask. I look forward to working with you all!

I assume that you are currently trying to apply for the active Army street-to-seat?

I think your best bet may be to cold call the CAB at Fort Campbell in Kentucky and try to see if you can schedule a metting/interview with some of the senior warrants there for LORs. However, be prepared for them to want you to have your packet pretty much completed at that point. I personally don't have experience with cold calling but others on the forum have done it. I got lucky and ran into a CW3 at work who put me in contact with a CW5 who helped me with my packet. The other option would be try to see if the Indiana National Guard has an aviation unit and contact them as well.

My mentality with my LORs had also been get a mix of rank and prestige but also some from folks who actually knew me. If you have someone who can fit in both that is ideal. But results may vary. I ended up with a LOR from a CW5 who I met for the LOR, a retired CW3 who was my mentor, the president of my college, and my boss of 5 years.

Copy. Yes, I am trying to do street to seat. I just started the process but I'm trying to get everything done quickly.

Do civilian still face the board? Someone told me they weren't right now and that it was only active duty or prior service right now. That doesnt make sense to me though

Cold call away for those LORs.

You still have to do the USAREC board. It's only on paper. Until recently we all had to do standing boards (in person) at our recruiting battalion as well before we could do the USAREC board. So there was 2. Now its just the 1 where they look at everyone packet.

I am also applying as a Civ street to seater. Are we required to to get at least one LOR from a Warrant Officer/ Officer? My old roommate is a Surface Warfare Officer in the Navy, would this count?

My thought was getting 3 LOR's from, let's say, past supervisors would hold more weight then a random WO that you never actually worked with or knew personally. IMO someone who you worked directly for would be able to vouch for your leadership and officer potential more than a high ranking military official that you cold called but was willing to help...

I am also applying as a Civ street to seater. Are we required to to get at least one LOR from a Warrant Officer/ Officer? My old roommate is a Surface Warfare Officer in the Navy, would this count?

My thought was getting 3 LOR's from, let's say, past supervisors would hold more weight then a random WO that you never actually worked with or knew personally. IMO someone who you worked directly for would be able to vouch for your leadership and officer potential more than a high ranking military official that you cold called but was willing to help...

If you were to hire a new employee would you prefer letters from someone in the same business who knows what is required or someone who has no idea what job is that they are recommending the person for? That is why having a letter from a warrant officer is a big deal.

From what I've gathered from past applicants is that it's best to have LORs from both WO3+ and from people (presidents of companies, CEOs, deans, etc.) I have heard of people only having WO letters, but I think they like both. Get more than the minimum, too!

You will get mixed reviews on how many LORs you should have. However the best advice is quality over quantity. The board has only a handful of minutes to review a packet so you dont want them to review your only weak LOR if there are three strong ones to instead.

• Like 2

You should have in your application 3 LORs, one of which is preferably from a Field Grade warrant officer. The other two should be your best references originating from different courses. Academic faculty, and civic leaders/law enforcement officials are usually credible and highly regarded. Otherwise, someone who can speak to your potential as a career Army officer and technical aviator.

Maturity, demonstrated leadership potential, career minded and honorable. I know a guy who's been on a few selection boards.

More is not better, if you have more than 3 LORs, we're just going to randomly pick one or two to read, and you hope we pick the best ones. Add to that, the entire packet review process takes place over about 2 minutes. We skim all the documents for critical information we're looking for. Don't let your best selling points get lost in a 5 paragraph LOR with nothing but flowery language. 3 concise, clear paragraphs on point will do more for you.

Mike-

• Like 1

• 11 months later...