Question about class 1A flight physical

I am a 15T and I am interested in dropping a packet to go WO aviation. I have a question for anybody who has recently had a class 1A flight physical done. Do they make you do all those weird maneuvers like the duck walk and everything we had to do at MEPS? Specifically, I had trouble with the one where you have to drop to your knees and then pop back up to a standing position by leaning back and rolling over your toes. I have a lot of difficulty with that maneuver and I'm worried I'll have to do it again during the flight physical. I eventually got it at MEPS by some miracle, but I jacked up my knees in the process. Thanks for your help.

When I did my 1A the underwear olympics were not as in-depth as when I initially enlisted and went through MEPS.

That being said it is most likely flight surgeon dependent.

Dont let that be the reason that stops you from doing a packet. Make them eliminate you, dont eliminate yourself.

Also there is almost always a waiver or an alternate test for just about everything.

Good luck and dont take no for an answer.

For my physical it was just basic joint movements and range of motion. No "underwear olympics" like at meps.

But as Barney mentioned, it is likely flight surgeon dependent. I would say, don't expect to do those things, but be prepared if they are needed.

• Like 1

Dont let that be the reason that stops you from doing a packet. Make them eliminate you, dont eliminate yourself.

Thanks for the advice. That sets my mind at ease. Yeah there have been a bunch of little things that I tend to worry about. I suppose all I can do is drop the packet. If it doesn't work out, I'll just figure out something else to do.

And thanks for the rest of y'all's advice. It doesn't sound like the physical was too bad.

• 4 weeks later...

My recruiter says he's waiting for an appointment. Can anyone tell me on how to get a flight physical asap, I live in Miami

Hmmm, any delays may be due to the fact that the closest Army instillation is Fort Rucker 9 hours away. So he may be trying to get you slotted into a Naval or Air Force flight surgeon or whatever the National Guard uses.

The problem as a civilian is that you dont really have any way to schedule your own appointment with the doctors since you are not currently in. The only thing you can really do is keep on your recruiter to get the appointment scheduled, or if you think he is giving you the run around find a new recruiter. Other than that you may also need to get used to the fact that you are now on Army time and things may not always move at the pace you want. Even when the ball is rolling. Hurry up and wait is sometimes the name of the game.

I am a 15T and I am interested in dropping a packet to go WO aviation. I have a question for anybody who has recently had a class 1A flight physical done. Do they make you do all those weird maneuvers like the duck walk and everything we had to do at MEPS? Specifically, I had trouble with the one where you have to drop to your knees and then pop back up to a standing position by leaning back and rolling over your toes. I have a lot of difficulty with that maneuver and I'm worried I'll have to do it again during the flight physical. I eventually got it at MEPS by some miracle, but I jacked up my knees in the process. Thanks for your help.

There's no ortho section like at MEPS. The 1A physical has a few more vision tests for you to take, the same hearing test, drug test and blood test to test levels (you do have to fast), body measurements, speech test (really easy you just say a sentence aloud), turn your head and cough, EKG, a few questions from the flight surgeon where you say "no that hasn't happened to me" a bunch of times, and you're basically done.

There's no ortho section like at MEPS. The 1A physical has a few more vision tests for you to take, the same hearing test, drug test and blood test to test levels (you do have to fast), body measurements, speech test (really easy you just say a sentence aloud), turn your head and cough, EKG, a few questions from the flight surgeon where you say "no that hasn't happened to me" a bunch of times, and you're basically done.

Ok thanks for the reply. That sounds pretty straight forward.