How helpful is a PPL for woft.

Hello everyone. I am worried about submitting a packet without having a degree. I know you do not need to have a degree but I would like to make myself as competitive as possible in as short amount of time as possible as this is something I really want to do. My question is a rotary wing private pilots license worth getting? Will it make my packet much more competitive?  

In my opinion, it’s only worth getting if you plan to continue pursuing a civilian aviation career if you’re not selected. You’d be potentially spending $15k without much of an improved chance for selection since many, many people are selected with no flight experience at all. 

If you do decide to get civilian training, Thedude has sound advise but if you decided to obtain your PPL try for a fixed wing PPL. ASEL PPL will run you half the price of a helicopter PPL and a license is a license whether its helicopter or ASEL. 15k is a price if your making all your stage checks accordingly and checkride right at 35-40hr. If your like me, bit of a slower learner, its gonna run you 17k. 

I had a fixed wing PPL prior and it certainly helped me get selected, but I got it before I ever thought about pursuing this program.

I also know people that didn't know a thing about aviation, decided it sounded cool to fly,  dropped a packet, scored a 40 on the SIFT and still got selected. It all depends on your whole picture honestly. With the elimination of an in person formal interview, the selection board has only a packet of papers to determine if you get in or not.

If your idea is to fly for a career regardless of being selected, like Thedude said, get the license.