6 Year ADSO IERW

For those ACTIVE DUTY aviation Warrant Officers with a 6 year ADSO, you still may have this option available if meeting the requirements. Age primarily and a 4yr degree. For those who may have an interest in continuing on ACTIVE DUTY in another service, it's possible in the pilot seat.

The new 10 year ADSO will take this option off the table for ACTIVE DUTY transfers. You would have less than 9 years before being retirement eligible. Not a good investment since AF SUPT ADSO is 10 years after winging.

There have been literally hundreds of Army aviators over the years that made the transition to Air Force/Navy/Marine/Coast Guard flight training programs and having successful careers while on ACTIVE DUTY.

A few years ago, the AF Thunderbird slot (#4) pilot was a former Army Reserve CW2 UH-60 aviator who made the transfer to AF ACTIVE DUTY and SUPT.

I'm certain 1 or 2 former Army CWO aviators retired as AF General Officers while serving solely on ACTIVE DUTY. I wouldn't even be surprised if there were 1 or 2 astronauts. Warrant Officer Power when totally unleashed.

What's my point you may ask? The 6 yr ADSO may possibly allow you in finishing your military aviation career in another branch of service on ACTIVE DUTY.

Good luck and choose wisely.

I changed the 1st sentence. Army aviators with the 6 year ADSO contract, may be eligible for the ACTIVE DUTY transfer if meeting the requirements. 

There should no problem with the Reserves or National Guard. They maintain Rigid Flexibility at all times.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 10:22 PM, zaurus said:

I changed the 1st sentence. Army aviators with the 6 year ADSO contract, may be eligible for the ACTIVE DUTY transfer if meeting the requirements. 

There should no problem with the Reserves or National Guard. They maintain Rigid Flexibility at all times.

I've applied to this July board for WOCS, AD Army, street to seat. At this point Army lingo is not even a second language to me, but I am catching on 😅 The 10 year ADSO seems to be so new to the Army that we are all still trying to figure out what it means exactly. 

Zarus, I'm trying to figure out what my contract will look like when I sign it, if given the opportunity. Will I have the option for a 6y, is there anything I'll have to do to make it so? I would like the option to branch to AD Guard at some point. What it really comes down to is exactly that, options in the future of my potential career. 

You mentioned the requirement of having a 4 year degree (which I have), are there other reqs? 

Whatever the ADSO is you will not have an option.  It’s what you “pay back” in order to get whatever they are giving you.  You will incur ADSOs for a lot of things, but most of the time they are concurrent with the others.  So if you get a 2 year ADSO for something but you already have 4 left you are not adding time.  Make sense?

Greyrider245

If you transfer to the USAF as a former Warrant Officer, you must attend Officer Training School {OTS) prior to flight school (SUPT). Same requirement in the other services. Your age may be an issue.

USAF has no Warrant Officers since 1990.

Greyrider, there's no such thing as AD guard; there are AGR programs in the guard and reserves, but in the Army that's not something you'd walk into. The Air Force has a lot more AGR positions than the Army in their reserve components. The Air Force also has a Palace Chase program that lets you finish your UPT commitment in the reserve component, but that's not something that's possible in the Army. You could potentially join the AF/Navy/Marines at the end of your 10 year ADSO, go through their commissioning programs and then onto UPT. There's a limit on how old you can be and get a commission, and even though you'd be commissioned as a Chief Warrant Officer that doesn't mean another branch sees it that way. You could play it safe and go through OCS while you still have at least 3 years left, as the OCS ADSO is 3 years. This way you'd get a good chunk of flight time as a warrant, probably track, and then get your commission and hopefully stay out of staff for your last 3 years. Then you wouldn't need an age waiver for commissioning, just for UPT. If you couldn't get an age waiver, you could always just IST straight to a helo squadron; you'd be limited to helos only for the rest of your career, however. Since you already have a 4 year degree I'd recommend any of the other branches over the Army. I don't think the 10 year ADSO is worth it unless you'd already be close to sanctuary, and this is from someone who did 10 years voluntarily. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2020 at 2:32 PM, greyrider245 said:

I've applied to this July board for WOCS, AD Army, street to seat. At this point Army lingo is not even a second language to me, but I am catching on 😅 The 10 year ADSO seems to be so new to the Army that we are all still trying to figure out what it means exactly. 

Zarus, I'm trying to figure out what my contract will look like when I sign it, if given the opportunity. Will I have the option for a 6y, is there anything I'll have to do to make it so? I would like the option to branch to AD Guard at some point. What it really comes down to is exactly that, options in the future of my potential career. 

You mentioned the requirement of having a 4 year degree (which I have), are there other reqs? 

Must fit the age criteria as well. I heard 30 or 32 for active duty AF SUPT. USAF Res/ANG are more flexible regarding age. Your IEFT contract will spell out your obligation. Good luck.

Sorry for the late response