CareFlite helicopter loses rotors in FW accident

MAT

********************************************************************************

** Report created 1/23/2006 Record 1 **

********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION

Regis#: 142CF Make/Model: A109 Description: AGUSTA A109E

Date: 01/19/2006 Time: 2117

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Minor Mid Air: N Missing: N

Damage: Substantial

City: FORT WORTH State: TX Country: US

DESCRIPTION

N142CF, AN AGUSTA A109E ROTORCRAFT WHILE ON RAMP, THREW A BLADE, TEXAS JET

RAMP, MEACHUM AIRPORT, FORT WORTH, TX

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0

# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 1 Unk:

# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: KFTW 2253Z 17021G29KT 10SM CLR 21/08 A2986

OTHER DATA

Departed: Dep Date: Dep. Time:

Destination: Flt Plan: Wx Briefing:

Last Radio Cont:

Last Clearance:

FAA FSDO: FORT WORTH, TX (SW19) Entry date: 01/23/2006

I believe the bird just came out of maintenance.......I can see the scenario....mechanic holding a couple of extra bolts scratching his head as the helo is taxiing away.......

Glad nobody was hurt. from the photo, it doesnt strike me as ground res though? There were some witness reports who said the helo was rolling out, power increased, and the rotor and transmission tore right out of the top.

• 1 month later...
Guest pokey
A DPE once told me that ground res only happens to a/c with an odd number of blades. A109's have 4.

A Designated Pilot Examiner?!! told you that?!! OMG !

Ground resonace can happen in ANY fully articulated rotor system (regardless of number of blades)

I doubt that it is ground resonance as it is a wheeled helicopter. Yes, ground resonance will only occur in a fully articulated system, but the shock absorbtion in the landing gear should all but dampen out any resonance. I've got about 1,400 hours in fully articulated systems on wheeled helicopters and jammed on the brakes on more than one ocassion without any ill effect. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, I just don't think that it is that likely the cause. Guess we'll have to wait and see what the NTSB says about it.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at the AugustaWestwind website and couldn't find any information specific to the rotor system. If it is fully articulated, a failure of a lead-lag dampner could have been the cause of the problem. Of course, all of this is purely speculation until the final NTSB report is released.

Doug

Guest pokey

In an articulated rotor the blades are free to flap, feather and drag (hunt), the hunting is the reason for some sort of lead/lag damper, how many hours ya have in one HH60? ( maybe we should ask the jury) :P

In an articulated rotor the blades are free to flap, feather and drag (hunt), the hunting is the reason for some sort of lead/lag damper, how many hours ya have in one HH60? ( maybe we should ask the jury) :P

Hey Pokey...I'm not sure what you are getting at here, but I've got about 1,400 hours in fully articulated, wheeled helicopters.

Doug