Traffic Cones

Guest rookie101
Witch...

You're flying some version of the 300, right?

Well, if that version of the 300 happens to be made by Robinson and is called the R-22 than yes, one of those versions. ;)

(Yes, I know I am not Witch, but the flight school he is going to right now is the one I plan on going to. He probably flys that very same helicopter in my avatar)

Just keep in mind that the safety inspectors at your FSDO have absolutely NO sense of humor. They will violate you in a heartbeat, and hanging stuff on the skids is very visible. Having a violation on your record is not a good way to get hired. Employers are required to check your records before hiring you, so don't think you can just lie about it.

Well, if that version of the 300 happens to be made by Robinson and is called the R-22 than yes, one of those versions. ;)

(Yes, I know I am not Witch, but the flight school he is going to right now is the one I plan on going to. He probably flys that very same helicopter in my avatar)

I don't know guy, is that 85T? I've been flying 41J a lot. It seems to handle a little better than 85T, and the cyclic doesn't vibrate so much. I flew it after its 100 hour and after setting for a week-had to brush the cobwebs off the controls and dash. She started rough, kicked and sputtered, but we got'r airborne where she belonged. She was flying like a pig, but we got her to do loops, rolls, and spins, and she still didn't auger in. She was a decent flyer that fateful day, and it was good.

Opps, sorry. I was caught up in the moment.

Hey, I wonder if the guy that duct taped a bottle opener to the skid had to get an STC? Remember that thread 'Beer anyone?' http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterfor...?showtopic=4260

Inquiry minds want to know.

Later.

Hey, I wonder if the guy that duct taped a bottle opener to the skid had to get an STC?

Dunno. My first instinct would be that the attachment would require a field approaval. Reading down the thread, it does mention that these geezers in the picture looking at the opener are from the FAA.

But it also mentions something about the fact that the aircraft were not actually 'occupying' the airspace system. Maybe this allowed them a waiver!

The FAA loved it by the way. They were the two other guys looking down on the bottle opener in the close up pic. All that was really necessary was that the helos didn't occupy air traffic space and spectators (workers) were kept at a distance...like 15 feet!

The bottom line is that I am sure (as shown above) that the FAA were asked to make a judgement either way. I wouldn't have thought Showcopters would try a stunt like that without covering every legal base.

Why not email them and ask them!

Joker

just tape the camera to your helmet...

Now THAT'S a solution! Think I'll try it.

Can anyone lend me a helmet?

Later.

Guest 13snoopy
Dang guys, kick me in the head why don't ya?

The mount is in the thinking stage with the beginnings of a cardboard mockup. The mount will be held with hose clamps on the rear strut and possibly with a few layers of duct tape for good measure. The whole thing will weigh maybe five pounds. I ain't putting a panaflex I-Max camera on it, but rather a small camcorder in the Hi8 format. I was thinking of securing the whole thing from falling off in flight by attaching a 1/8" steel cable around it too. But like I said-thinking stage.

My brother is an engineer with an aerospace-that sound neat, aerospace-company. I'm going to run the idea by him and maybe he'll do a few calculations and suggest other things. I can also go to the FSDO and talk with them and see if they have any ideas. So far no one has suggested an alternative. Hmmm?

As for the cone game, not only is it giving me flying time, but helping with my hovering. Whel I lift off the ramp, my hover is too high and I immediately go into forward flight. At least the cones get me closer to the ground and slow the forward movement. Boring may be safe, but where's the entertainment value? At least my IP's aren't doing the same thing over and over. They're keeping me interested in flying, and believe me, I was thinking of quitting after a bad day of flying. These guys make flying fun and I am flying better as a result. Playing with cones has improved my hover. And they are there to get me out of trouble when I get into it. Same with the hover autos. At least I don't skid to the left any more. Do any of you guys have suggestions to hover steady at two feet without moving forward?????

This is like that other thread where I was thinking of puttings comms in my motorcycle helmet. No suggestions, just that "Don't do it" mentality.

I think the flight characteristics of the machine with camera and mount will be good. It's not a permanent mount, it goes on and off with a screwdriver, and the weight and balance thing should be negligible. Now if ya'll know where I can rent or buy an "Approved" video camera mount, let's hear it.

By the way,

Later.

Witch,

I won't be nearly as diplomatic with you as some others have been here:

Your attitude is flippant and very scary for a person who (I assume) hasn't even soloed yet. I don't read alot of posts here so I don't know what you're training in, but if you're training in an R22 then I hope your attitude changes a bit after you watch the Robinson Safety video. It'll show you in no uncertain terms what happens when things don't go as planned. (And believe me, that can happen VERY quickly) If you are not training on the Robbie make a point to watch it anyway. It'll do you some good.

Helicopters can do a lot of damage and injure/kill you very fast.

I hope for your sake you're just some kid mouthing off here.

If not, you better change your attitude, quick. And that's the truth. These pilots that are urging you to have caution are only trying to keep you off the NTSB reports. You don't want to end up in one, believe me.

I'll say this once more:

Helicopters can go out of your control very quickly and then it's all over. Period.

Why don't you say who you are instructing with if it's "all good"??

PS

Watch that Robinson video.

Guest pokey

i still say we should share information :) rather than insults :huh: altho i dont agree w/everyones opinion ( be it right or wrong) (fact or fiction) ---- they are entitled to it w/ a respectful reply. NO ?! :unsure:

Witch,

I won't be nearly as diplomatic with you as some others have been here:

Your attitude is flippant and very scary for a person who (I assume) hasn't even soloed yet. I don't read alot of posts here so I don't know what you're training in, but if you're training in an R22 then I hope your attitude changes a bit after you watch the Robinson Safety video. It'll show you in no uncertain terms what happens when things don't go as planned. (And believe me, that can happen VERY quickly) If you are not training on the Robbie make a point to watch it anyway. It'll do you some good.

Helicopters can do a lot of damage and injure/kill you very fast.

I hope for your sake you're just some kid mouthing off here.

If not, you better change your attitude, quick. And that's the truth. These pilots that are urging you to have caution are only trying to keep you off the NTSB reports. You don't want to end up in one, believe me.

I'll say this once more:

Helicopters can go out of your control very quickly and then it's all over. Period.

Why don't you say who you are instructing with if it's "all good"??

PS

Watch that Robinson video.

Flippant? Mouthing off?

Well, so be it.

I guess everyone has opinions. I figure mine are...well...I don't know.

It's already taken me twenty minutes to write just this.

I feel like I'm being admonished for telling ya'll about some of the things we're doing. Some pilots teach in different ways or have different styles. Mike and Nick are pretty safe in teaching me different manuvers and such. We haven't gotten into any sort of trouble, although come close. I have come close to settling with power. Nick got us out of it before we got into it. I also got out of control a few times. Again Nick is there to get us out. That's part of his job to keep me from killing him, and believe me he does have a strong sense of self-preservation-as well as I.

Snoopy, I had about four paragraphs here. I deleted them. Figured it was just a waste. I had the same thing happen over at Packing .org. I'd have an idea or comment and next thing I know there'd be others admonishing me for being unsafe with guns.

Flippant? Mouthing off?

Keine ahnung.

Tschuss

Guest 13snoopy
Flippant? Mouthing off?

Well, so be it.

I guess everyone has opinions. I figure mine are...well...I don't know.

It's already taken me twenty minutes to write just this.

I feel like I'm being admonished for telling ya'll about some of the things we're doing. Some pilots teach in different ways or have different styles. Mike and Nick are pretty safe in teaching me different manuvers and such. We haven't gotten into any sort of trouble, although come close. I have come close to settling with power. Nick got us out of it before we got into it. I also got out of control a few times. Again Nick is there to get us out. That's part of his job to keep me from killing him, and believe me he does have a strong sense of self-preservation-as well as I.

Snoopy, I had about four paragraphs here. I deleted them. Figured it was just a waste. I had the same thing happen over at Packing .org. I'd have an idea or comment and next thing I know there'd be others admonishing me for being unsafe with guns.

Flippant? Mouthing off?

Keine ahnung.

Tschuss

What do you know. German! I'm reading the book "Attacks" by Erwin Rommel right now.

I just want you to stay in one peace. That's all.

Sorry, but I haven't read the forum in the last week or so but Gunner I have to say that your last post was HILARIOUS! You ARE talking about the helicopter-modified motorcycle helmet, right?

-V5

I have seen someone with that helmet and it is pretty cool... an AGV Dragon is what I think it is called...

Then again I think motorcycles are WAY more dangerous that helicopters.... :D

good god. I wish I had $1500 to waste.

Back to the original topic of the thread, I seriously doubt the FAA would process a form 337 for a clotheshangar and a bit of duct tape on your robbie skid, it does say Major Repairs and Alterations on the top...major being the operative word.

Annother fun hover game...hover hockey. empty plastic oil bottle and a couple cones, kinda need a big space to mess around though.

now I have seen everything....

I can picture a student walking up to his 22 and donning that that thing... And a CFI saying "Get out... Just get the hell out..."

Really cool though.

Wow- I want one, I wonder if I can pipe the show music thru the PA system during take offs !