Why so many complaints?

avengingllama

First off let me say that I am not trying be a jerk but I have a question for you guys. It seems like there are a lot of complaints about being a helo pilot as a career, especially in the training forum. If it is so bad why do so many of you stay with it? Or is it one of those love/hate relationship things? I am starting training soon and was just wondering. If this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move it, I just thought the question would get more responses in the general forum.

I've been watching the posts as well to get the take on the life of a pilot. It seems about split between the good and the bad. And its actually better than what I hear from coworkers at my current job. Seems they all hate the company and the job (my question to them is usually "so why are you still here?"). I've got 20 hours now in an Enstrom 280 and planning to go on for my commercial and try to make a career change out of it. I am 34, no children, and unmarried. I have a lot of concerns as I will probably have to move to make a career out of it, GoM looks like one of the few routes. Is it going to be the smartest thing I have ever done in my life? Maybe not. Am I going to make millions? Probably not. Do I still want to try for it? Yes.

Keep the info coming, both good and bad.

Complaints? You oughtta go to the original forum at justhelicopters.com and read their stuff. Now that's complaining.

It's probably because they hate their company. I don't like my company anymore. Hence the career-number 4-change.

Besides, I've been wanting to have a flying job for a long time. I can do it now, I've been inspired.

Later

Guest rookie101

Negativitey is a good thing to have. Let's face it, we all don't want to hear it, but we need to hear it. Ya sure, there are complaints on this site, give me a site that doesn't have them. It's a good thing that we have negativity because it's a good shot of reality and without a realistic view of things your going to find that your love of flight will quickly turn to bitterness and anger. Now, negativity is one thing, but complaining/whining is a whole other factor. Are we all here to share our love of flight? Maybe for some but we are all here to express our opinions and give and receive advice & guidance to everyone who reads this forum and those like it.

Rookie, I agree completely. If it hadn't been for reading a few threads laden with large doses of reality I'd have quit my job long ago to follow in Gomer Pylot's footsteps. I'm still working toward it, but a LOT more slowly and cautiously.

Personally, I enjoy hearing the negative (including the day-to-day bitching) to get a small taste of what professional pilots are thinking. If it were all good the industry would be over-crowded and people like me wouldn't stand a chance of employment.

I stay with it mostly because I have no other marketable skills, and I'm too old to be hired anywhere else. Unfortunately, Uncle Sam didn't teach me much of anything else. When I got out, I had a family to support, and took the job I could get. If I had been single, I might have done something else, but having to put food on the table for others limits your options. Flying helicopters isn't that bad, really, but the pay sucks, and probably always will, because so many newbies are willing to fly for peanuts.

First off let me say that I am not trying be a jerk but I have a question for you guys. It seems like there are a lot of complaints about being a helo pilot as a career, especially in the training forum. If it is so bad why do so many of you stay with it? Or is it one of those love/hate relationship things? I am starting training soon and was just wondering. If this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move it, I just thought the question would get more responses in the general forum.

The reason I dislike aviation now is because of the school that I trained at. Us students did not find out that it was a scam until all of our money was gone and we did not have the ratings we needed to get a job in the industry. We have been trying to get some money back for the last three years.

It is what it is. Shucks, I have friends that went through law school, passed their bar exams, and within 2 years of the business quit for some other line of work. And believe me it wasnt because the money sucked. For ANY profession....it is what it is.

Me? I didnt set out to be a commercial pilot, I just started added ratings, coupled them with the line of work I was interested in, forestry, land surveying, mapping, and some others, and here I am today. Most all my flying then was Part 91.......... aviating better than 135 in my humble opinion.

Today 95% of my flying is 135, and I enjoy very much the specific kind of flying I do, though Ive been in the air for nearly 30 years now..........

............. I LOVE the view, and will continue to do this till they take my medical!!