Low flying 500

HeloPitts

Ooohh...that cut in the middle made me dizzy for a moment.

I'd like to know where that place might be. It looks like a neat place to go fishin' or somethin'. Really nice flyin' too.

Later

It surely was not in the U.S. as any places that looked like that in the U.S. have been logged, developed, and the fishery pretty much destroyed. western canada or alaska maybe, probably BC....

Ooohh...that cut in the middle made me dizzy for a moment.

I'd like to know where that place might be. It looks like a neat place to go fishin' or somethin'. Really nice flyin' too.

Later

that video was cool... i really really really do not want to get into a safety discussion... no safety discussions please ,,, no safety discussions please...

do not debate this video. for you enjoyment only, do not look up this guys vin number and debate weather or not this was safe..... please do not bag on this pilot for his flying skills... do not try this type of flying if you do not have the training... do not try this at home.... this guy is hella cool though... but enjoy the video, but please do not try this at home....

It's even more impressive that he did that with a sling load. I'm just assuming of course, but I can't think of any way he could fit those giant brass balls inside of the cockpit. :P

On a serious note though, that's an awesome video. Yes it's incredibly dangerous, and quite fool hearty, but then again so is any form of aerobatics. I'll leave it to the daredevils, and if/when they fail, I'll respect that it was their choice to live as they did.

that video was cool... i really really really do not want to get into a safety discussion... no safety discussions please ,,, no safety discussions please...

do not debate this video. for you enjoyment only, do not look up this guys vin number and debate weather or not this was safe..... please do not bag on this pilot for his flying skills... do not try this type of flying if you do not have the training... do not try this at home.... this guy is hella cool though... but enjoy the video, but please do not try this at home....

What ever, safety has no place in flying. BB

I hate to start a debate but, aerobatics isn't incredibily fool hearty or dangerous. Aerobatics teaches precision aircraft control, and is being used as a tool to increase safety for corporate flight departments (upset attitude recovery). There is an elevated risk in aerobatics but safety is always the first priority, and I don't know of anybody who flies competition aerobatics that thinks of themselves as a daredevil. Also when you watch an airshow and see the pilots performing aerobatics low to the ground, they are approved to do low level aerobatics by the FAA. It takes years to get to the level that it takes to perform at airshows.

I hate to start a debate but, aerobatics isn't incredibly fool hearty or dangerous. It takes years to get to the level that it takes to perform at air shows.

You're correct. My choice of aerobatics as a reference was perhaps not the best. There is no doubt this is far more dangerous. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, the perception of danger is very subjective. A layman watching full downs might think it's incredibly dangerous, "how could you be sure you were flaring at the right time!!!!" while we would just view it as pretty dangerous. This pilot, with possibly (possibly!!) thousands of hours flying the same terrain may not view this to be as dangerous as someone less familiar might. Of course the consequences of mistake/failure are more gruesome, but it's hard to quantify how much more risk there is than, say, logging on the side of a mountain above tall trees with no safe place to put down. Yes, it's more risky, but how much more???

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Interesting to watch, but I'd want nothing to do with that pilot. Too much to worry about.. ;)

Why do we have to pick apart a silly video and debate the merits of the pilot. The video was just for entertainment and just for fun.

We ALL KNOW what's right and wrong. I would no sooner try something like that then do a front wheelie on a motorcycle and I've been riding over 30 years. That doesn't mean I don't like to watch somebody else do it .

What's next debating the flying from the next Bond movie????? :blink:

Why do we have to pick apart a silly video and debate the merits of the pilot. The video was just for entertainment and just for fun.

We ALL KNOW what's right and wrong. I would no sooner try something like that then do a front wheelie on a motorcycle and I've been riding over 30 years. That doesn't mean I don't like to watch somebody else do it .

What's next debating the flying from the next Bond movie????? :blink:

Why not pick it apart................then enjoy it? Besides do "We ALL KNOW what's right and wrong."?

BB

Yeah, I'm right and you're wrong!

Should we pick apart this video...why not? Why can't we learn from this pilots judgement?

Is the type of flying demonstrated in this video dangerous? Yes...

Is the risk acceptable? Well, that's up to the pilot, and crew/pax...

Driving your car is a risk. Driving a stock car in a NASCAR race is more risky. I don't hear anybody criticizing NASCAR drivers when they get hurt in accidents. Well, they aren’t criticized for the risk they accepted. They aren’t criticized for the risk they place the crowd in either, but the crowd is at risk. Perhaps we should ostracize any pilot who placed themselves in a risky situation. Oh, I guess that means any pilot who has started a helicopter, or, even performed preflight. After all, it's risky to climb on top of the helicopter to check the main rotor, you might fall off and hurt yourself.

The purpose of picking apart these types of videos is to improve our own decision making skills. Yes, we can enjoy the videos simply for their excitement factor, but that doesn't mean we can't learn from them as well. In fact, if we never picked apart another pilots decision making, to improve our own, we never would have books like Fatal Traps.

i really hate these safety freaks. u know in the back of their mind they want to be flying that river. they just hide behind their regulations and paperwork complaining about how the pilot is endangering everyone. i don't know about anybody else but i got into flying helicopters because they COULD do badass manuevers like that. so all u goodies stick to your boring normal approaches and pedal turns i'm going out and looking for that good ****.

-H

And people that think like this wonder why helicopter insurance cost $13,000 a year. :rolleyes:

wow i should have included you in my last post as an example [weed??], just let the clip f-ing play, enjoy it (probably not for "people that think your way"), fly the way you were flying before u watched it, leave the rule book in your pocket, remove the foreign object from your fourth point of contact, and realize we all know its dangerous but, Where you in the aircraft?!?!? NO. was your airfield in that river valley? NO do you even know where that was? NO thats all let it ride chief.

wow i should have included you in my last post as an example [weed??], just let the clip f-ing play, enjoy it (probably not for "people that think your way"), fly the way you were flying before u watched it, leave the rule book in your pocket, remove the foreign object from your fourth point of contact, and realize we all know its dangerous but, Where you in the aircraft?!?!? NO. was your airfield in that river valley? NO do you even know where that was? NO thats all let it ride chief.

hatchetfist,,

well said, i could not have said it any better. I am so sorry for these pathetic safety freaks. I don't know how else to explain to you guys, Nobody cares what you think, say or do. You watch the video and then let it go. don't jepordize you stupidity while posting non sense on this site. dude, just relax and watch the video, nobody asked for a safety consult here, nobody cares if you or anyone else thinks this is dangerous... you are intitled to your opinion, but don't get all bent out of shape when everyone goes against you cause you are a safety freak.

As I stated early on in this thread, no safety discussions, no safety discussions. But oh no, you freaks could not let a dead horse just lie. You had to open your fat mouth and voice just how dangerous this really is...... guess what, that is no news to anyone here, we all know this is dangerous, do you want an award for pointing out the obvious... congrats you have a firm grasp of the obvious... now beat it... nobody cares about how dangerous this is. what more can I say.... You are not adding any light to the conversation by stating this is unsafe... That is like posting " The sky is Blue""" on every thread.... well no sh$t, dummy, could you get any dumber here.... once and for all WE ALL KNOW THIS VIDEO IS DANGEROUS, NOW ALL THE SAFETY FREAKS CAN STOP POSTING....

NOw if that worked, to stop the safety freaks from posting, I will jump up and down, with a big smile, giving myself a pat on the back... While filming the event, then I will post it on VR to show my appreciation to all of the safety freaks in the world.... wanna take me up on the offer???????? please, please, please do, I will post it, just stop posting the obvious folks,,, am I really asking for too much.......???????