Have you given up the dream?

So, I planned to go military in Sweden. Pretty awesome choice... but then I met this wonderful girl in the U.S last year... so I have to move!

Anyway, its too exspensive to do it the civilian way and I cant join the army on a green card hehe.

So I just want to ask if there is anyone out there who had to give up their dream (at the time) to do something else, and then did it when you could pay for it? Or would that be "stupid"? (thinking of a future family and so on)

Im only 20, but changing career later on might not be advisable?

Also! I can get a student loan for college at around 2-3% interest rate over here, which is amazing. How long would it take to save up for training with a bachelors? (thinking history major)

P.S: I have seen grammar polices out there. Dont pick on me... Im from Sweden :)

Edited by hansbystrom

[so, I planned to go military in Sweden. Pretty awesome choice..

Sounds like the best way to get your flight training - and I doubt the Swedes get involved in as many of the world's hotspots as our US military does - so maybe you would be deployed a lot less than your US counterparts.

but then I met this wonderful girl in the U.S last year... so I have to move!

Time out... If she really digs you - you should talk her into moving to Sweden. It is beautiful there. If she does not want to go - don't worry about it - there are millions of beautiful and nice women in Sweden. Their PFF (potential fat factor) is also much lower :)

Im only 20, but changing career later on might not be advisable?

If you are only 20, you could fly for the military, build your hours, and then decide if you want to stick with it or switch careers. You will only be in your late 20's by then - your life will still be ahead of you.

NEVER give up on your dreams. I am 30 now and after 6 years in the military and 8 years in the maritime industry just getting to realize mine by starting flight training. Making life choices based on potential mates, especially at 20 could be an even bigger mistake than giving up on your dream. Stay in Sweden and learn to fly, then go looking for women. Besides, it seems to me being able to say "I'm a helicopter pilot." Would be a great way to meet women ;p

Edited by klmmarine

First flight was a local radio station ( KMPC-LA) in 1978 in a 206 ( I was 19) ....I really got hooked flying for an hour with a friend in his 206 one day in 1984, took my first lesson in 1986. Took 4 years to get enough hours to solo...sometimes one lesson every 6 months or so ( hey, what does this stick thingy do again??)

Solo'd in 1990, had my second child and went to Sheriffs academy....dropped flying like a rock..no time or money, 3rd and 4th kid followed....no flying again until 2005 when I started from scratch ( trust me...you remember NOTHING 15 years later!).

So yes, it took me 27 years from my first helo flight, and 20 years from first manipulating controls to PPLH...pretty miserable, huh?

Fact is, life takes over....but in the end, you can always go back and do it.

I would still recommend the military route if you can...4 or 5 years and you have more experience than most of us in a lifetime.

... I cant join the army on a green card hehe...

I thought I read somewhere that you can join the military as an immigrant. In fact, I believe you are automatically naturalized after serving for a certain time. I'll get back to you on where I read this. I believe it was on the INS website though.

Right.. you can join the military as enlisted, but not as an officer. And everyone keeps telling me there are NO guarantees to become a helicopter pilot whatsoever, unless you do WO or Blue21. I am scared that I will end up as (many?) others; years in the military and still no flight scool.

To go through the naturalization process will take several years. Hopefully, I could apply after.... 5-6 years in the states?

I am not claiming to know more about your military system than you, but this is what I heard.

Thx for the info! More will be appreciated.

You can join the military as an officer if you are a college graduate. Citizenship is not required, but you have to be a legal resident of the United States. If you are married to a US Citizen, you can be naturalized after 3 years, I highly recommend becoming a Citizen as soon as you are eligible.

Marlon

Here's something: military spouses go through a lot of stress. Make sure she can handle it before you go enlisting. I can tell you also that the G.I.'s can get idiotic and mess up their marrages. I've seen several people in my shops go through divorces and seperations and I tell ya it can have a very bad effect.

Have the both of you KNOW what you're getting into and understand that the military basically owns you. This means you go when and where they tell you, pronto.

Been there.

Later

You can join the military as an officer if you are a college graduate. Citizenship is not required, but you have to be a legal resident of the United States. If you are married to a US Citizen, you can be naturalized after 3 years, I highly recommend becoming a Citizen as soon as you are eligible.

Marlon

What does that mean? How many years do I have to go to college? Right now, Im thinking of 4. But if I can apply for WOFT (might be weak package though?) after community college, I would rather do that.

• 2 weeks later...
First flight was a local radio station ( KMPC-LA) in 1978 in a 206 ( I was 19) ....I really got hooked flying for an hour with a friend in his 206 one day in 1984, took my first lesson in 1986. Took 4 years to get enough hours to solo...sometimes one lesson every 6 months or so ( hey, what does this stick thingy do again??)

Solo'd in 1990, had my second child and went to Sheriffs academy....dropped flying like a rock..no time or money, 3rd and 4th kid followed....no flying again until 2005 when I started from scratch ( trust me...you remember NOTHING 15 years later!).

So yes, it took me 27 years from my first helo flight, and 20 years from first manipulating controls to PPLH...pretty miserable, huh?

Fact is, life takes over....but in the end, you can always go back and do it.

I would still recommend the military route if you can...4 or 5 years and you have more experience than most of us in a lifetime.

Dang Goldy,

I don't feel so bad after reading your story... I have been fighting the "Life Takes Over GIG" the last few years. Unexpected problems, job getting too busy for me to take off, my flight school has gotten a lot more students enrolled and I can't just call and get on the sched now a day or two in advance.

I'll be 39 in April. I tried for some time to get financing for flight school. I have given up the dream. You younger guys, if you have the dream to fly, go for it NOW. Do whatever you have to to fly. DON'T wait until you are my age and realize it's your only dream....and it's gone. A man with no dreams is a very sad thing.

I'll be 39 in April. I tried for some time to get financing for flight school. I have given up the dream. You younger guys, if you have the dream to fly, go for it NOW. Do whatever you have to to fly. DON'T wait until you are my age and realize it's your only dream....and it's gone. A man with no dreams is a very sad thing.

I dont know your particulars, but I got my license at 46....I wouldnt give up just due to age; and if you cant afford to fly, well you probably could afford $50 bucks a week....which is one flight a month. Better than nothing ! Goldy

Dang Goldy,

I don't feel so bad after reading your story... I have been fighting the "Life Takes Over GIG" the last few years. Unexpected problems, job getting too busy for me to take off, my flight school has gotten a lot more students enrolled and I can't just call and get on the sched now a day or two in advance.

Mechanic- Yeah, but I'm having some fun now !!!

Go for your dreams and don't slow down. I'm only 16 right now and started flight training at 15. I've paid for all of my flight training so far out of my own pocket and am very close to receiving a loan. I know a lot of people that wish they would have kept with it and got there licenses. In my ground school there was around 8 people and I think I'm the only one to keep on going with it. Reach for the skies and don't look down, you will be glad that you did.

Edited by helo08