I need guidance.

I just got back from my flight physical. I was deferred because I take effexor. The doctor told me I would have to be off the meds for 6 months before I could get my certificate. It will take about a month maybe a little more to ween myself off this crap. So I'm looking at about 8 months to get my medical certification.

Here's my delema. University courses start May2. I'm running out of time to use my GI bill. As of September I will have 3 years left to use the benefits. That's just enough time to get the full benfit. This will cover about $36,000 of trining. I'm trying to get my Bachelors of Applied Technology: Aviation Sciences and my commercial liscence. This should be about $90,000, right?

I've seen discussion on here about income and it doesn't look too promising. I allready make about 60K. But, I want to head in a different direction with my life. I'm not overly concerned about the investment. I'm more concerned about the timing.

I'm worried about being stuck with aviation courses if the FAA comes back and denies me. I could always take generals and put off the flight training until I know more.

Should I risk it and hope everything works out OK or just drop the whole helicopter pilot idea and move on to other ventures? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Wetcheez, your question isn't clear. If you're asking for a prediction as to the FAA's granting your physical, I'd go with what an AME says.

If you're asking about VA benefits and flight training, then I've heard the same thing as Slick1537- you get your commercial on your dime, and then the VA chips in on further "vocational training" in your profession.

If you're inquiring after potential earnings with a commercial helo ticket, take a look here:

http://brian.hudson.home.mchsi.com/helopay...cales/index.htm

That link will lead to others, with pay scales.

My crystal ball says now's a good time to be entering the field, pay's gotta go up to lure guys pulling a $60-90 k debt tail, like you'll be. I'm only a pilot, and the head shed intermittently poo-poos me when I say the pilot shortage is here (and then asks if I know anybody looking for work...) but I see signs of a shortage, and it's only going to get more severe in the next few years.

The only "secret of working the system" is that some will make it, but most won't. You're probably one of the most that won't. You definitely won't if you don't try.

Edited by Wally

I don't remember the thread name, but you can search for VA Benefits and see what you get. But, the skinney IS. There are 2 ways to get the flight ratings with the VA. Most common is the Vocational Flight training route, ie, you pay for private, then they pay 60% of approved commercial rating charges. Second, is a degree'd program at a Jr or Senior College. The VA pays for ALL ratings that are required for the course. The gottcha is that they only pay the monthly amount for the amount of credits undertaken for that semester. If you take 6 credits they only pay your for the 6, but you get the max monthly benefit if you take 12 credit hours or more. Make sense? They pay like you are just taking normal courses.

Hope that helped?

Combination College Degree Link

I fully understand my GI benefits. I also have reviewed the payscale for pilots. I know how to get the most for my money regarding the GI Bill.

It seems that nobody really READ my input. My problem is that I may be denied for my medical certification. As per my situation, is it realistic to pursue this venture or is the timing wrong?

I do not want to get a Bachelors in Aviation Science if I am NOT going to be able to fly because of some meds that really were unnecessary.

What is the probability that the FAA will deny my medical for this situation?

From what I have heard from the helio population is that this is the palce to go for support, info, and comorodary.

From what I've seen so far, not just this thread, you all seem to alienate anyone who is not fully encompassed in the aviation world. That's just what I've seen recently. I will continue to research past threads and hopefully I will get a better feal for the people here, but, so far you all seem to think anyone who is not flying regularly is just a wanna-be.

This is just my opinion from the past couple days.

AS for WALLY, thank you for your input, but, you have no idea of what I am capable of and if I want this I will be one of those that makes it.

Not to put down those that have encompassed this lifestyle and given all they have to it, but, from what I've seen so far this will not be the trial of my life. I know that I really have no clue what it really takes to be a commercial helicopter pilot, but, from my view it is completely reasonable to think that I will excell. OK, maybe not excell but I know I can do this.

I really have not meant to insult anyone. I'm just expressing my opinion. I have alot of respect for anyone who can fully control a device that holds the lifes of themselves and anyone associated in the balance.

The monthly payment from the VA for a full time student is currently about $1200. It is far more cost beneficial to use the reimbursement option for flight training. Pay for your private up front, then have the VA reimburse 60% of the rest of your training. You end up getting COMM, INST, CFI, and CFII for less than 20,000 out of pocket (less living expenses of course) at most schools. I have worksheets, for a couple of schools that I looked at, worked up with total cost out of pocket and reimbursement if you are interested PM me and I will be happy to forward one to you. It really is astonishing how much the GI Bill ends up saving you.

If I remember correctly you don't technically need a medical until you are ready to solo, (at least that is what my school told me, please correct me if I am wrong) If that is correct, get your ground and knowledge test out of the way, start doing some dual instruction and then when your medical comes through you are golden.

How is that for working the system...

Edited by klmmarine

Link to information about anti-depressants and medical certification

Lots of information about depression and pilots/controllers at this link

I would suggest giving Virtual Flight Surgeons a call or email. www.aviationmedicine.com

They have doctors with LOTS of experience as AME's and dealing with the FAA. They will help you get your medical if it is possible. Yes, it costs money, but it is well worth it since they will push the FAA hard to get your medical approved. I have asthma, and it took 6 months to get my medical without help. If I have to do it again, I will be calling these guys.

If I remember correctly you don't technically need a medical until you are ready to solo, (at least that is what my school told me, please correct me if I am wrong) If that is correct, get your ground and knowledge test out of the way, start doing some dual instruction and then when your medical comes through you are golden.

You are correct, no medical is needed until you solo.

Edited by PhotoFlyer

Wetcheese,

The best medical advice I can give is to go straight to your Regional Flight Surgeon. I lost my medical for three months. The AME was all happy and nice and all, said he needed to reference something. Then told me I was done see the desk. Thats when the nurse informed me that I was being temp denied my medical. The AME was worthless, the nurse would not let him talk to me when the formal letter arrived with details of what I needed to do. So I found my Regional Flight Surgeons email. He was in Ft. Worth and was more than helpful. Even wrote me a special letter for me to take to the Dr. to get the needed test completed that the FAA wanted to clear my 2nd class.

Later

AS for WALLY, thank you for your input, but, you have no idea of what I am capable of and if I want this I will be one of those that makes it.

Perhaps you'll beat the odds, most likely not.

You have some trouble accepting that we're trying to be helpful but we're not aviation medical examiners, and you seem offended by that fact. You have an opinion from an AME, a qualified expert in the field. Take what you paid for. If that's enough to knot your panties, stick to your day job- you won't be any happier with us or the profession when we're criticizing you to your face. That's part and parcel to the job.

Wetcheez,

Take general courses until you get cleared or in case you don't get cleared for the medical. Make sure they're something that can transfer if you can't get cleared and decide to take your schooling in a totally different direction and maybe school.

If you think these guys are harsh (and they're really not) then definitely don't go to the AOPA medical forum. They have actual AME's on that board that will gladly answer your questions and likely shatter your dreams. I've followed these issues closely, as a buddy of mine is also trying to get into the Heli world, but has some medical issues similar to yours. They're going to tell you what we've told you on this forum: you might be able to get your medical, but if you do, it'll take time and money- just like most things in life. It all depends on the diagnosis that the doc made who actually put you on the Effexor. The FAA will probably want you to go to another doc and get them to certify you're good to go, and that's a good bit of advice anyway.

As to what classes you should take... if you think there's a chance you won't be able to fly until you retire or cash in your chips, you'd better have a backup plan. Get a degree in something else that interests you and go from there. Maybe get a minor in Aviation Technolgy or whatever it is you're taking?

Medical issues in this field will always make you nervous at best and downright gloomy (I dare not say depressed) at worst.

Edit: and it's not a black and white "should I go full-speed or forget it entirely" issue yet. I say do a little, get some ground school behind you, but for now my emphasis would be on a non-aviation major. That kind of either-or thinking sure isn't going to help, especially once you're off your meds.

Edited by ADRidge

Put it this way, If you have mental health issues, you probably know about it and that will most definetly disqualify you for you dreams. If you just went through a slew of bad luck and decided to try what half of americans try every year, which is a typical ssri anti depressant, than you should have no problem, weaning yourself off within a month and staying away from the anti depressant so you can get cleared. Its not like they are even going to test you blood for this medication anyway, they might verify pharmacy records or talk to your doctor that put you on it. but this is probably the most popular reason for defering you medical , or putting it on hold. it doesnt mean your crazy if you are on antidepressants, nor does it mean that you will sabatage you heli cause you feel blue.

This is by no means the end of your career, I know a guy last week who just got his medical signed off, he was taking an ssri antidepressaNT medication as well, i think he only had to be off the medication for three months though. I don't know the exact rule. but now he is off the medication and ready to start flying. he just got his approval last week. I know another guy who had a phelony vandalism charge on his juvenile record, ten years ago. he was put on probation for this when he was sixteen. his record was exponged but he still told them about it. they denied his medical and made him proove it was exponged or that he was no longer on probation. it just takes time with the faa, be patient, follow their stupid rules and you will be through in no time if this is your only medical reason for the defferal...