Redneck Robbie

Pretty cool vid my man, whoever is doin the shootin looks like they have had a lo of practice before.

Also, in the first half of the video, it looks like that pilot comes REALLY close to that shed/house/shanty. I thought he was gonna clip it for a second there.

Also, in the first half of the video, it looks like that pilot comes REALLY close to that shed/house/shanty. I thought he was gonna clip it for a second there.

yeah, I did a double take when I saw that

I agree with being pretty close to the shed.

But, This dude can FLY! Sorta reminds me about the boxer in training chasing a chicken. LOL

After seeing that, it helps you understand how some of the blades fall off of them 22's..

I am glad someone picked up on that! I would not fly that Robinson after that if my life depended on it. And it would! I think the pilot might have gotten into a low-G situation at least once in a turn.

GIT R DONE!!

That is my new favorite YouTube video.

Does anyone but me think of the MAP chart when they watch that stuff though. Definately a good pilot, and a good shooter, and I'm going to guess they have a CRAZY mechanic who continues to certify it safe to fly.

Sure was fun to watch though!

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does the pilot do in the video that is unsafe? OTHER than almost nailing the shed.

As a future student, and just tryin to get some idea of what is going on here i'm very curious. I have heard so far Low-G turn and the blades falling off, what maneuvers in the vid would cause either one of these?

-Ryan

Edited by doanut99

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does the pilot do in the video that is unsafe? OTHER than almost nailing the shed.

As a future student, and just tryin to get some idea of what is going on here i'm very curious. I have heard so far Low-G turn and the blades falling off, what maneuvers in the vid would cause either one of these?

-Ryan

Those turns were pretty tight. If he did not keep a load on the rotors during those turns he might develop a low G sititation. My concerns are specific to the R22. When you get a chance review the rotor system and how the rotors are held on to the rotor mast. What he did was probably pretty safe with a competent pilot but somehow I don't think a competent pilot would do that with a robby. I might do it with a more rigid rotor system. I have done turns like that in the 58 though not that tight. It's a lot of fun for sure.

Permison

What's the legal difference between a net-gun and an acctual firearm? I allways thought it was illegal but hey, if it's not I might be in the market for one of those dillon mini guns :). That would certainly make for some fun times.

-Ryan

Robinson Safety Notice's

SN-37 Exceeding Operating Limits

SN-11 Low G Push Overs

Safety Alert Exceeding Power Limits

I am not accusing the pilot of exceeding anything, but doing that kind of flying it could be real easy to go oops, went over on that one. The passenger looks alittle large, plus the weight of the net and gun and the foot rest on the left hand skid.

Later

What's the legal difference between a net-gun and an acctual firearm? I allways thought it was illegal but hey, if it's not I might be in the market for one of those dillon mini guns :). That would certainly make for some fun times.

Its not a difference in the gun, its that it is illeagal to kill a deer from a helicopter,(pumping them full of drugs is legal also) also I will add that the shooter does have to have his/her hunting license. Allthough killing of hogs and coyotes is ok

Those turns were pretty tight. If he did not keep a load on the rotors during those turns he might develop a low G sititation. My concerns are specific to the R22. When you get a chance review the rotor system and how the rotors are held on to the rotor mast. What he did was probably pretty safe with a competent pilot but somehow I don't think a competent pilot would do that with a robby. I might do it with a more rigid rotor system. I have done turns like that in the 58 though not that tight. It's a lot of fun for sure.

Permison

I am reasonably familiar with the head design of the R22 and I don't see how you could get mast bumping in a turn, nor how you could lose the load in a tight turn. Please let us in on it. What 58 did you do that in an OH or S? Thanks.

I am reasonably familiar with the head design of the R22 and I don't see how you could get mast bumping in a turn, nor how you could lose the load in a tight turn. Please let us in on it. What 58 did you do that in an OH or S? Thanks.

I flew OH-58s (Alpha and Charlie models) in the Army. I was just leaving the Army as the "Delta" models were coming to units (Saw the first one at Rucker though)

If the pilot pushed the nose opposite of the load on the rotor he would create a low g situation which could create a mast bumping situation. I can imagine a pilot turning too tightly or having to avoid something like the shed in the video by quickly pushing the cyclic in the opposite direction of the load on the rotors right after entering the turn. This could easily create a low g situation. I do it all the time flying fixed wing aerobatics (gotta love that light in the seat feeling). The force of the load does not have to be towards the earth it just has to be opposite of the force of load. Thus pushing forward too quickly in a greater than standard turn rate "Could" result in a low g situation. The R22 was not designed for the type of aerial maneuvers shown in the video. Very cool to watch but the R22 rotor system was not designed to handle that type of stress over time, as stated by Robinson and pointed out again earlier in this post by Mechanic, per the links to the Robinson safety notices SN-37 Exceeding Operating Limits and SN-11 Low G Push Overs.

I am glad someone picked up on that! I would not fly that Robinson after that if my life depended on it. And it would! I think the pilot might have gotten into a low-G situation at least once in a turn.

Robinson will demonstrate low g recovery if requested. The fact the ship has experienced low G in no way makes it unsafe, or we all better quit training for autos. If going from one direction to another will unload the rotor, we all better quit doing quickstop training.

If the 22/44's weren't incredibly durable, they wouldn't be trainers. If they were really that unsafe, the FAA wouldn't have certified them in lieu of writing regs for them.

My two cents...

Looks like it was mast bumping just waiting to happen. The aircraft was not designed for that. While I would not problem flying a H300 or MD500 in that flight environment, but not a R22. I just like me skin too much.