Most Memorable Flight?

Tell us a story! What's the most memorable flight in your career to date? Good/bad, PAX, scenery, bad weather, whatever. Which ONE sticks out in your mind?

I'll go first, since it's my thread. In my SHORT time in the sky, this one stands out. Flying with Stat MedEvac 7 out of Greenville PA. Not my first time with them, or our first trip of the day. I actually DO NOT remember why we were in the sky! LOL I think it was a "transport from hospital A to hospital B" type thing.

Anyways, I'm riding left seat in a BK-117 with a Viet Nam vet at the controls. Idle chit-chat about this that and the other on the way back to the base. We're flying along straight and level, I look out about 9 o'clock, and I guess it was my 10+ years on the FD at this point. Forgot about the VOX intercom, and I literally said "Holy Sh:t! Pittsburgh Fire has a COOKER over there!" The Flight Medic (also a hose jockey) says "HELL YEAH!" Flight Nurse said something about Testosterone, Pilot said something to Stat Comm. Can't remember exactly because it was in "pilot speak" and I didn't understand it at the time.

Next thing I know, we're rolling left! Ask the pilot "what's up?" "Let's go take a look!" "LOL NICE!" I hear from the medic. We made about 3 or 4 laps around a warehouse structure fire at about (GUESSING!!!! 1000 AGL.) Literally MILES of hose on the ground, firefighters everywhere, firetrucks, etc etc. It was just a WAY COOL view from up there. We stayed about 2-3 "blocks" away so as not to get into any thermal turbulence, or to blow smoke in anyones faces. Headed back to base in Greenville, and we all sat and talked about how neat it was. For some reason, the nurse wasn't into it too much, but us other 3 sure were!

Which one sticks out in YOUR mind?

Edited by Fastlane

If a mere fixed-wing PPSEL may humbly speak...

Driving a Cessna 152 II out to the practice area for some solo work. Looking for my shadow on the ground. Found the shadow and OH MY GOD! I'm eyeball to eyeball with an airliners shadow!

Pitch the bi.. the bird, excuse me - on its wingtip and do a couple of high-bank 360s. Looking for the heavy bird. Then it dawns on me - the airliner is at 25000, letting down for LAX. I'm at 1000 AGL. And I'm just making a bigger target with those 360s.

Taking my Dad up, after I took the whole family one at a time(R-22). My Dad is afraid of heights, so it meant a lot to me that he went, and he didn't get sick or freak out.

Taking my Grandma up, when she was about 70 years old....OH and without the doors on! She put her hand on my leg the whole flight, she had a blast!

First solo flight to the practice area on a Super Bowl Sunday, I could see the beach from Padadena, and you could actually see the blue in the water! What a clear day!

Taking up my step Dad, who is a fixed wing pilot. We wen't for breakfast, and when we came home, my Mom asked how I was as a pilot, and he told her you have nothing to worry about, he's a good pilot!

Flying in Panama over the jungle, landing in places that were remote, flying along the beach, flying 4 miles off shore to avoid a thunder storm(you've never seen rain until you've been to Panama). Landing at this village of Kuna Indians, and buying handmade jewelry, and wood carvings. The indians saw us coming up to their village, and the whole village brought out all of the things they made, and laid them out on a long table. Some of the men were just in a loin cloth, and the woman were bare breasted, it was like something on Discovery! YET, some of the kids had Sponge Bob Square Pants T-shirts on too!

First flight at the controls of a 206, when the CFI asked if I wanted to come up and fly....my jaw about hit the floor! Here I am with a wopping 100 hours, working on my CPL, and I get to fly a 206? I remember fiddling with the seatbelt, and then taking a deep breath, looking at the CFI, and saying..."What do I do?" LOL I asked him if it was right skid heavy, left skid heavy, nose heavy, tail heavy, and all he said was..."I don't know"....."Take your time, pick up slowly, and react to what it does"! I did just that, and came to a rock solid 3 foot hover...I remember the guys saying "Nice Pick" That was huge compliment for me! On another flight in the same 206, got to it again, but this time, did a traffic pattern!

I just love flying, pure and simple! :)

Once you have flown

You will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward

For there you have been

There you long to return

Leonardo de Vinci...couldn't have said it better myself!

R91

Kuna Indian tribe on the Chagres(spelling) River

PanamaKunaIndianR-44.jpg

rotor91: awesome stories.

what were you doing in panama? what type of a/c were you flying? EDIT: i guess it's that r44 in the picture..

my expectations of piloting choppers reach as far as your experience has taken you. im jealous.

Edited by TheLorax

rotor91: awesome stories.

what were you doing in panama? what type of a/c were you flying? EDIT: i guess it's that r44 in the picture..

my expectations of piloting choppers reach as far as your experience has taken you. im jealous.

Lorax,

Yes, I was flying the R-44 in Panama, you guessed it, give the man a dollar! Actually I was going down to do some tuna boat training, because of the prospect of getting a job as a tuna boat pilot. BUT, in the end, it did not work out. BUT, I did 17 hours in the 44 in Panama! IT was THEE coolest time EVER!

My experience is limited in quantity, but a boat load in quality!

R91

Rob

Sorry,

I was Standing in the cabin door of a AF Reserve KC135 tanker somewhere in Italy, lol, with the CO JOE flying, when on final the Capt came on the VOX, did you forget we are heavy? We are heavy, WE ARE HEAVY, then blam blam blam, bouncing on the runway. The capt came back on again, didn't you hear me tell you we were heavy? We did a rolling touch and go. Then the Capt brought it in nice and smooth.

We were about half full of fuel, since we didn't refuel as many fighters as we thought we would.

The other was turbulance in NJ coming back from Europe in a DC10, sitting just aft of the wings. The cross wind was pretty bad. We had some serious crabbing going on and you could hear the engines throttle and cut very often. We hit the runway so hard that close to about a quarter of the overhead compartments opened and dumped luggage as well as a few light lens covers opened and was swinging wildly. It sounded like the landing gear came up into the cabin area, people were screamin, kids crying, I said wha hoo dang we hit hard. Later the capt asked the attendants to check for injuries. I kinda thought in the back of my mind when I heard the bang, OH SH// I am finally in a crash.. My wife was not impressed at all..

After almost 40 years, nothing really sticks out. They all become pretty much a blur.

C'mon Gomer, I think you're fibbing. LOL

You've been in the sky longer than I've been alive, I'm SURE you have a story or two to share!

Fixed wing stories are welcomed!!!!

Rotor, what a fantastic (albeit relatively short) career you've had!!! Awesome man!

Edited by Fastlane

Thanks Fastlane! :)

Almost forgot about taking my Wife(GF back then), I had a 60 day policy! If I was dating the same girl for more than 60 days, I would take her up!

My Wife is quite chatty, which I love BTW! :) So we're walking out to the R-22, and I start to walk over to the hangar, to get her door(both were off at the time). She asked what I was doing, and I told her it's your first time in a helicopter, and MY policy is you must fly with the door ON. She demanded I keep the door off, which I replied NO, and we went back and forth for a few seconds! Knowing her, and the way she is, I knew she should have the door ON. BUT, I said OK, NO PROBLEM, and she thought, I'm tough, I can do this! :)

So I'm explaining everything on what I'm doing, preflight, start up, now we're in a hover, and I ask her how's she's doing....and I get a I'm Fine :) So we take off, and fly from VNY south along the 405 through the Sepulveda Pass. VERY LIGHT CHOP....VERY LIGHT, but cold, cuz it's about 2000 ft overcast no sun! I turn on the heater, and she's grabbed the door jam(due to the light chop), and her fingers are white as she's gripping so hard! And her bottom lip is starting to quiver.....tears could be coming, but not sure when! LOL We fly east along Sunset, Hollywood, S. 101, around downtown L.A. and back along the 101 to VNY, we're gone about 35 min.. NOT A PEEP OUT OF HER THE WHOLE FLIGHT! LOL If I asked her how she was doing....just the standard "I'm Fine"! LOL We land, and as I'm doing the cool down, she's blowing hot hair into in left hand to warm it up, cuz the door jam was her jesus handle! :) As we're sitting there during the cool down....with a nice smirk on my face....I say...."Sooooo next time, are you gonna listen to me, when it comes to the door being ON?" She nodded!! LOL Guys...it was priceless!

We go and see a buddy of mine later that day, he's been up with me about 10 times(actually he just got his PPL Helicopter). She proceeds to tell him that it SOOO MUCH TURBULENCE! He looks at me, as she's talking, which I'm standing behind her....and I'm nodding NO! LOL Again...PRICELESS!

The next flight, she quickly nodded YES, when I again confirmed if she wanted the door ON! She had a blast, she was herself, and she was back to her chatty ways!

So passengers....LISTEN TO THE P.I.C.....CUZ....we're always right! :)

R91

COME ON GOMER....LET'S HERE SOME STORIES.....GOLDY?? DELOREAN? JOKER? COME ON KIDS, SHARE WITH THE CLASS!

<SNIP>

COME ON GOMER....LET'S HERE SOME STORIES.....GOLDY?? DELOREAN? JOKER? COME ON KIDS, SHARE WITH THE CLASS!

I KNOW Goldy has storys. He was 300' AGL over Pam Anderson's house last week. LOL

Another cool story rotor! My wife already told me, and I quote "AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN, DON'T EVEN ASK!" LOL I did get her to go rappeling with me once, but that was only about 35' or so.

I KNOW Goldy has storys. He was 300' AGL over Pam Anderson's house last week. LOL

Another cool story rotor! My wife already told me, and I quote "AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN, DON'T EVEN ASK!" LOL I did get her to go rappeling with me once, but that was only about 35' or so.

YES I WAS !!! I keep waiting for her to flash me...then I'll go away !

I have a similar wife story that Rob has. The doors were locked up in the hangar....her first flight, we were flying out to El Monte for dinner....day VFR going out and night VFR coming home....needless to say the night flight back was a bit chilly....oh well. The only thing she said to me was "tell me if I should be scared....if youre not scared them Im ok"....funny thing...she has NEVER flown with me again! ( Rob- I HAVE to get her up in an R44..what a slick ride !)

The other story I usually save....although I have told it before.. Lets just say that your outlook on life changes when you have less than one second to live. Oh..that, and the R22 really can do full 90 degree banks...to the stops at 90 knots !!

Be safe, Goldy

I have a good story, but it's fixed wing in nature, so I apologize in advance.

A buddy of mine in high school had never been up in the air. Not even on an airliner. So I decided to take him up for his first flight and fly around South Florida (West Palm area) in a Cessna 172. I did the usual, explaining things on preflight, etc and saw that he was obviously nervous. I had to take advantage of it. When we got around to the right side, I explained to him that he would be sitting in that seat and there were a few things I needed to explain to him.

the good part...

I explained to him that if we had an enginge failure in flight that he would need to assist me by 'throwing' the prop down. I got into the right seat, and explained that if I instructed him to he would need to open the door, step out on the strut, climb through the crossbeam, grab the handle on the front fairing and give the prop a good swing and THAT would restart the engine. He was freaked out, but said he understood.

Well, .5 into the flight we were flying over the everglades... I put the aircraft into a right bank and pointed something out to him out the right window... When he looked I pulled the engine back to idle. He snapped his head in my direction and with a pale white face said "OH sh*t, is this for real?" Of course, I kept a straight face, said yes... started flipping switches and turning knobs trying to "restart" the engine. I slowed back to slow flight, and told him to get ready. Anyway, I brought the RPM back up and away we went, and he was pissed for about 2 weeks. It was classic.

CHAD

OK, one more.. Heli this time.

It was my demo flight in a R22 years back. The CFI I flew with I only just met and flew with once. I hear that they have passed on in a non aviation incident. She made my demo flight fun and memorable.

I was trying to keep from laughing and being nervous all at the same time. She would be saying things like this while I trying to hover :P .

WATCH THE COWS, try not to hit them! There were cows in the field and they would not move till you got really close. They would just watch you and chew.

Try to aim at that tree and TRY to keep it in Texas this time, after she recovered when I lost it.

I was stirring the stick trying to keep up and it was making the heli wobble, and she cracked me up when she said, try not to move the stick so much, I am getting sick over here! I said I am getting sick over here!

That 45 min's went fast and I was hooked.

God Bless her soul.

My first flight into New Orleans after Katrina will always stand out. We crossed Lake Pontchartrain from Slidell following the I-10 bridge. Before we even hit the water I noticed a couple of large boats that had been beached in Slidell sitting on the highway. Large portions of the the bridge were missing and several vehicles were stranded along various portions of the bridge. We got permission and a sqwauk code from Omaha-44 and entered the city.

I had seen it all before on tv, but actually being there and being able to take it all in was quite a different experience. Helicopters were everywhere as we entered the city, doing ever type of job you can imagine. You could look out either side of the aircraft and easily count 10-15 flying around. Hawks were making the rounds low and slow looking for survivors over the flooded parts of the city. Chinnooks and 53s attempting to patch the levees with massive sand bags. News machines and other civil aircraft of almost every make and model dotted the sky.

The pictures on tv really didn't do the damage any justice, it looked much worse in person. We flew along the Pontchartrain coastline and as we crossed the Lakefront airport I saw a upside down Lear leaned up aginst a tree. We landed at a hospital on the NW side of town, the damage was apparent but relatively dry compared to other parts of the city. We picked up a few personnel and supplies and the back out the way we came in.

I made several flights in and out of NO over the next couple of days and certain things still stand out: the damage to the Superdome, partially submereged roller costers at Six Flags, the boats and airplanes resting where they didn't belong, and standing on top of a rooftop hosiptal helipad in downtown looking out over the flooded streets.

My first flight into New Orleans after Katrina will always stand out. We crossed Lake Pontchartrain from Slidell following the I-10 bridge. Before we even hit the water I noticed a couple of large boats that had been beached in Slidell sitting on the highway. Large portions of the the bridge were missing and several vehicles were stranded along various portions of the bridge. We got permission and a sqwauk code from Omaha-44 and entered the city.

I had seen it all before on tv, but actually being there and being able to take it all in was quite a different experience. Helicopters were everywhere as we entered the city, doing ever type of job you can imagine. You could look out either side of the aircraft and easily count 10-15 flying around. Hawks were making the rounds low and slow looking for survivors over the flooded parts of the city. Chinnooks and 53s attempting to patch the levees with massive sand bags. News machines and other civil aircraft of almost every make and model dotted the sky.

The pictures on tv really didn't do the damage any justice, it looked much worse in person. We flew along the Pontchartrain coastline and as we crossed the Lakefront airport I saw a upside down Lear leaned up aginst a tree. We landed at a hospital on the NW side of town, the damage was apparent but relatively dry compared to other parts of the city. We picked up a few personnel and supplies and the back out the way we came in.

I made several flights in and out of NO over the next couple of days and certain things still stand out: the damage to the Superdome, partially submereged roller costers at Six Flags, the boats and airplanes resting where they didn't belong, and standing on top of a rooftop hosiptal helipad in downtown looking out over the flooded streets.

WOW!

That's the only word(s) that come to mind man.

Although probably not the hairest moment I have ever had and certinaly nothing like some of the Vietnam guys probably put up with in thier time. My few tough days were proably everyday for them.

Iraq, spring of 2004. I was due my yearly NVG standardization checkride for my APART. It just happened to be in conjunction with the last tactical flight prior to flying the aircraft back to Kuwait to put on the boat. Standardization checkrides consist of the basic tasks and tactical tasks. Without going on in too much detail it basicially is everything you are expected to be proficient at other then IFR stuff. So it included things like mission planning, react to contact, make tactical reports, evasive maneauvers. Emergency procedures, well You get the point.

I had a couple things going for me to start. First, at over 100 hours month average flying I wasnt too worried about being proficient. Second the weather was nice and the moon was low, which was how I liked it. Less of me the bad guys can see. Last and probably best, the IP giving me my checkride was one of my best friends in life.

Now some may say there may of been a conflict of interest, but honestly that just isnt how we operate. Standards are standards and both he and I knew that. Really, it was just nice to be flying with him again and flying with another experienced PC. Although we have some great PI's it just is a comfort to be flying with another PC sometimes. Additionally, to this day my friend is still the best Aviator I know. Funny enough we rarely flew together and this being our 2nd time deployed together we have always managed to fly together for the first mission and last missions of our deployments. This one was going to be no different.

The mission itself was pretty benign. However Iraq has always had a way of making an Air assault or log run equal in threat. No one there is really safe flying there until the blades are tied down. That night was going to be a round robin loggy run called the black ring. We lived in and serviced the Anbar province so basically it was all around the triangle and back home.

Most of the night went with incident. Just the normal tracer fire at our sound and not much to report. (on note though, I did notice a large decrease in ground to air small arms my last tour there.) Our last stop before home was the cozy little LZ at Ar Ramadi. Then it was the HQ for the division and we stopped there often.

The LZ at Ar Ramadi from what I was told, was once a palace for the sons of the madman. The one palace there served as the HQ and the other had a JDAM through the roof. In between stood to small fields we used as LZ's and could fit 2-3 hawks in each field. The entire palace complex is at the tip of two small rivers with border the city of Ramadi. While you can always pick a thousand ways in and out of a LZ, it never is hard to be shifty when your LZ is pretty much in the middle of indian country for the most part.

We were a flight of two that night. I had been flight lead for most of the flight but had swapped out towards the end to let the other aircraft get some time up front. We arrived north of Ramadi and landed to the east in the LZ after clearing ourself with arty guys next door at Junction City and then making calling to make sure the PZ control had the PAX ready to load.

The CE's jumped out and started the process we had done the last 8 or so stops that night. The PZ was mass confusion as always when it came to who was coming and who was going. Honestly, I didnt care as long as they didnt compromise safety around the aircraft. For the most part if I could fit the PAX outgoing I would take them as long as I could fit them, lift the weight and they were manifested (even at last minute) so that if we went down they would be accounted for. Sometimes all that was a bit too much to ask for.

We were sitting about 4 disks apart while the CE's from both aircraft took control of the situation and made the magic of organizing an otherwise mess into something that was safe and worked. We were BS'ing with the other crew while commenting on the fact that I think everyone of the last few PAX we were taking back on the leg to our homebase had a huge toughbox that required extra hands to get onboard. It was late at night, we had been flying for several hours and to be honest we were ready to get home and be done.

Our conversation was rudely interupted by murphy as usual when we least expected it and were least prepared. With your CE's off comms and PAX loading crap everywhere on the aircraft is not the best time to catch the WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP of rockets hitting the LZ. They were landing just behind my aircraft and the bank of the river. Rockets have a way of getting your attention. To this day a heavy door slamming still reminds me of what they really sound like. A deep bass rumble that can be felt in the chest and almost feels like a nicely sealed room when you slam the door and get that overpressure feeling. Oh, yea, it can be pretty loud.

The moments that followed seemed to draw out slowly, but I am sure it wasnt all that long in the grand scheme of things. First and formost the instant it happened I probably jumped and yelped like a schoolgirl. Glad I didnt have the ICS button mashed and the cockpit was blacked out. Score cool point for me, I dont think anyone noticed!

Pretty much all the next happened within seconds of each other.

First and formost on my mind was my crew out loading. It's funny how a few rockets will clear an LZ of all that confusion. One of my CE's plugged in and said all was in that was getting in and he was secure. At that same point, chalk one called and said they were loaded and they threw on thier slime lights and were getting ready to go as they were getting light on thier wheels. My left side CE had just hooked up and dove into his window head first.

I was on the controls and my friend did a quick before takeoff, two to fly, systems, avionics, crew, passengers, and mission equipment and we gave the up call and were getting light. While the rounds were still coming in they seemed to have not hit anything yet and were short in duration and aim. Despite that, I was still motivated to get the show on the road.

As I said before, the LZ is pretty much seperated by good intentions from the rest of the city of Ramadi. Usually we come up and out of the LZ and break down the river or up to the north depending on the route. We did try and change it up, but it's not much to sight in departing aircraft when they are most vunerable on take off.

Chalk 1 come up and out and split down the river. I started coming up and for some reason I decided to completely change things up and turn hard right 90 degrees off of the other aircrafts flight path. I dont know what compelled me to do so, but lucky enough for use 2 large cracks split between us and the other flight that was most likely RPG's in an organized aircraft ambush which all started with the rockets on the LZ.

My first thought was to have my left side CE return fire. Over the ICS I asked if he saw the origin of the fire and that he was cleared hot. His only reply was, sir I didnt see sh.... and I can't fir sh.... . Cranking my neck around after clearing the path ahead, I could see his feet still sticking out the CE window from when he dove in.

We made the call to PZ control and the other fellas in the area about incident and headed for home. Once out over the open desert and linked back up with chalk one, I started laughing and told my friend that he goes way out of his ways during APARTS and to which I am certin I am within standards this year.

After a puzzled look he askes wtf I am talking about. I replied with,

Well, I did all the standard planning, navigated all over and at the end you cooridinated with enemy to have me react to indirect fire, do evasive maneauvers and make a tactical report. I include, since we are still flying I am good at least on those tasks. I reiterated to him that when you give an APART you give a freaking APART. I was just hoping you werent going to give me a simulated goggle failure departing the LZ. I dont think I could of handled that with any grace!

I would like to say the rest of the night went without a hitch, but it didnt.

The last thing I had to do was AFCS degraded flight (boost off) so we decided to do that after we dropped the pax off and were air taxiing back to shut down. It just happened that while unloading the PAX there was a commo issue and ATC had no comms on the airfield. Perfect timing considering there was about 20 aircraft in and about the airfield and it was almost zero illum. In the end the aircrews of the aircraft took charge and we basically went to the CTAF like system and got it all sorted out. I got my boost off while air taxing to parking and all was well with the world.

Ive had some difficult checkrides in the past and I am sure I will have some difficult ones in the future. I doubt I will remember any of them more then out flying with my friend. I think our wives were right when they said we shouldn't fly together anymore.

Edited by Hawkdriver

Hawkdriver,

Thanks for the story. I tried to get in WOFT back in 87', but the recruiters wouldn't bother to tell me what I needed to do. All they wanted me to do was join and go infantry. I was young and dumb, well I'm probably still dumb but thats beside the point. Anyways, went in the USAF, Fire Truck Maint, Aviano AB, Italy. We had CH-47 Centurions there with us. I never got to get a ride in one of those. I did get to sit in the RH seat of one and admire all the switchs and gauges.

Later

• 9 months later...

My most memorable flight was my first time in a charter aircraft. We flew out of Harrisburg with UFS-Aero. I think it was a learjet. My family and I went down to florida and the pilots couldn't have been nicer. I would defiantly recommend chartering an aircraft or flying yourself. UFS-Aero seems to be well above the competition with the level of service they offer. Can't wait to dodge those lines and charter again.

I've had a few memorable flights, although only a few minutes from those were actually with my hands doing the work!

Plenty of awesome NOE flights in Blackhawks and Chinooks through the snow covered mountains in both Afghanistan and Alaska all the way to some crazy NOE flights banking on up on the sides and letting the gunners go to work though Iraq.

Flying in a C-130 isn't usually something that exciting, except when you are sitting in the cockpit and get to watch the "spiral-of-death" into Baghdad International Airport.

My MOST memorable would have to be getting to go up in an F-16. We were in Gila Bend, AZ for a TDY controlling a/c and I got to go up to Luke AFB for a flight. We took off as a two ship in formation with afterburners kicking. After we got to altitude in the play area the pilot told me to watch our wingman and as I looked over our 2 banked off hard to the right and got about 3 miles of separation. The fight was on from there. We went on the attack first chasing him through the skies over Arizona and I had to constantly call out where he was. I'm sure the pilot knew...but it added to the fun doing that :P After we finally got the "kill" we switched roles and that was INTENSE! At one point we went into a dive pulling 9.2 g's for a sustained 8 seconds. I never passed out, but I got pretty close! It is pretty awesome to get into the turns and start to red out/blackout (depending on ±Gs of course), tightening up and then loosening up to see how it affects you. No idea how the Blue Angels guys fly without G suits!

After that we transitioned to a low-level (simulated high threat) entry to the Range where my guys were out waiting for us to show up. It was pretty cool getting to hear our JTACs control and see what the pilots are seeing. Helps out a lot for our job to get these flights, but they are also way fun so I'm not going to pretend it was just for the job :P We rolled in and dropped a few Mk-82s and got back into the wheel over the target area (we had taken out the anti-air threat so no need for the high-threat tactics). We got a new 9-line, rolled in on target, released…and the a**holes on the ground (knowing I was in the back seat) come over the net "SAM LAUNCH SAM LAUNCH BREAK RIGHT!!” making us go into a fit of jinx and jukes trying to loose the imaginary missile chasing us. Needless to say I had to switch off the VOX (as briefed preflight) and get rid of the lunch I had spent my hard-earned cash on since it wasn't going to stay down after that. I tied off my little souvenir bag to my leg strap after I filled it and was good to go.

We left the Range after we got all the ordnance off the wings, got back up to altitude and the pilot "Nuke" gave me the stick. AMAZINGLY touchy. I knew it would be touchy, just wasn't aware it would be THAT touchy. He talked me through a few loops, rolls and basic maneuvers. Our wingman's radios went out and we had to RTB after that, but it was an amazing flight. I wish I would have gotten some pictures, but I wasn't allowed to take a camera up since we had a targeting pod onboard that was classified. Afterwards I was covered in sweat and wanting to go lie down and take a nap I was so physically drained, but the pilots were just as chipper as ever! I thanked them for the awesome experience and they headed inside for debrief and mission planning for the flight they had in a few hours. As much as I enjoyed the flight, they can keep all that business! I was spent after that one flight.

The one that really got me hooked was taking my demo flight at Silver State Pueblo, CO. We went up in an R-44 for about 30 minutes and I loved every minute of it! Planes and jets are fun, but just like how I like to ride my motorcycle… I'd rather be in tight and low in a turn than going balls out fast!