Who's the "Ferrari" ?

Pikes

RWeed the 530 ain't the beast I have seen, this was one of I think a very limited No of special builds, with some real trick noise reduction ideas as well as 6 blade rotor.

Have a friend with a gazell ( real costly to run)

It was probably the Special Ops Little Birds of the 160th. They are a hybrid of 530F's but they have a 6 blade main rotor and a tricked out tail rotor thats very nonstandard. A sweet little bird!

It was probably the Special Ops Little Birds of the 160th. They are a hybrid of 530F's but they have a 6 blade main rotor and a tricked out tail rotor thats very nonstandard. A sweet little bird!

Hey Jeff. I believe this is what you are talking about ? 6 main rotor blades, 4 bladed tail rotor. It's called the MH-6...I think I still like the BO-105 for a race car...flies great upside down !!

Edited by Goldy

Hey Jeff. I believe this is what you are talking about ? 6 main rotor blades, 4 bladed tail rotor. It's called the MH-6...I think I still like the BO-105 for a race car...flies great upside down !!

That's a BAD machine there!!!! Did a google search on it, WOW!

I think I still like the BO-105 for a race car...flies great upside down !!

I see what you mean.. This one's not flying upside down, but still pretty damn nice flying ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqsn_KSLwx8

probably u guys seen this one already.. but hey, u never know :rolleyes:

I haven't started my training yet, so i wouldn't know.. But looks pretty challenging..? right or wrong? :blink:

-Rob

Edited by Pikes

I see what you mean.. This one's not flying upside down, but still pretty damn nice flying ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqsn_KSLwx8

probably u guys seen this one already.. but hey, u never know :rolleyes:

I haven't started my training yet, so i wouldn't know.. But looks pretty challenging..? right or wrong? :blink:

-Rob

Pikes- as I understand it...there are only a handful of guys that hold a aerobatic helicopter certificate in the world. Just wish I was one of em !!

Edited by Goldy

I don't know if it an aerobatic certificate that you need as the pilot. I think it's the aircraft that has to be certified for aerobatic flight. I believe only ex military 105's have that certification and maybe a few others. I know that one of our 500E's we used to fly had been looped and rolled by the factory prior to us owning it.

Either the Gazelle or Bo 105 would be the Ferrari of the skies. The Gazelle has the sound, look and speed. The Bo 105, well it's flight envelope is amazing. I've been lucky enought to have a flight in a Gazelle. I was grinning from ear to ear the whole time. One of these day I would love to own one. Both are expensive to operate but the BO 105 (twin engines) loses out on this one. While the gazelle is cheaper to operate the spare parts and getting harder and harder to find. The hughes/MD 500 is sporty too but you see them all the time. How often do most people see a gazelle or bo 105. Not very often if ever. It's kinda like seeing a Lamborghini or ferrari on the interstate. They command respect and attention. <_<

I don't know if it an aerobatic certificate that you need as the pilot. I think it's the aircraft that has to be certified for aerobatic flight. I believe only ex military 105's have that certification and maybe a few others.

Hey, EAGLE1!

I'll hit you with a dumb question.. :P

Why "ex-military" ? and why BO-105? Howcome the 105 is different from other HELOs ?

The blades made of somekind of different material in military toys?

-Rob

Semi rigid with a four blade system??? Hmmmm

Yes, but it is advanced! LOL

I'd like to see an up close still shots of the set up. I watch that vid and wonder how much of that up and quick back down is cyclic/collective etc. All I have to say is I'd sure like to be able to fly like that someday.

The BO 105 rotor system is about as rigid as it can get - a solid hub that does not allow lead/lag or flapping. These forces are absorbed in the blades. The only reason it does not qualify as a fully rigid system is that it has feathering hinges. Thus the term "semi-rigid".

You appear to be likening it to a 2-bladed Bell teetering head, which is also semi-rigid, in that it does not allow lead-lag and does not have individual flapping hinges.

But the Bolkow / BK head is light years away from a teetering 2-blader in performance and capabilities and safety. The BK 117 has a performance envelope from +3.5 g to -1 g. The teetering head has +2.7g to +1 g. Less than +1 and you can get into all sorts of mast-bumping, tail-chopping troubles.

We had a Red Bull 105 (camera ship) in the hanger a few weeks (month??) ago. They were re-assembling it after it was shipped overseas for the Monument Valley air race. The rotor hub was in a box, got a real close look at it... Simply amazing.. It looks like it was carved from a solid block of titanium. It's a quite massive, single piece, of titanium with a mast that looks like to be about 4 times the size of the 206's mast..

As for durability, the pilot said the main blades were strong enough to chop through the tops of trees and keep on going, no problem. It was designed as a military helicopter, and as he put it, they designed it so strong it would never break, then doubled that.