Minimum hours needed to Instruct R22, R44, 300

If you are trying to get all your ratings in a 200 hour program, it really depends on you and your time to commit to the program.

Flight = 200 hours @ 235 per hour = 47,000

Ground = 400 hours @ 35 per hour = 14,000

So the short answer = 61,000

61,000 is a realistic number (the ground time COULD include some of the variables)

Although there may be many other variables Like:

Where are you training, price of gas, weather, airspace limitations, equipment, books, DPE fees and more. I would suggest that you make many phone calls to the different schools in the area you want to training.

Something that is very important; FIND A GOOD INSTRUCTOR; even if it COSTs more...

A good instructor will pay years of dividends, on the initial increased investment.

Sky2

If you are trying to get all your ratings in a 200 hour program, it really depends on you and your time to commit to the program.

Flight = 200 hours @ 235 per hour = 47,000

Ground = 400 hours @ 35 per hour = 14,000

So the short answer = 61,000

61,000 is a realistic number (the ground time COULD include some of the variables)

Although there may be many other variables Like:

Where are you training, price of gas, weather, airspace limitations, equipment, books, DPE fees and more. I would suggest that you make many phone calls to the different schools in the area you want to training.

Something that is very important; FIND A GOOD INSTRUCTOR; even if it COSTs more...

A good instructor will pay years of dividends, on the initial increased investment.

Sky2

Thanks for the figures. Those are helpful. Now I just have to find funding for this with a low credit score. Poor me...lol. Patience is a virtue, so I've heard. I'm still working on that one.

Thanks again

TOAD

This question is for Jason(jehh).........I'm trying to get an idea of monies needed for flight school....You said you own a school, so my question is what does your school cost from day one to 200hrs????

Money is always the issue so I'm trying to wrap my head around what it's going to take to make it happen.

thanks

toad

We offer two programs, a basic and a complete professional pilot program...

The basic program provides 150 hours of flight time and 150 hours of ground instruction. You get time in the R-22 and Schweizer 300. We quote that program at $45,150. Including books, supplies, written tests, checkride fees, Robinson Factory Safety Course, etc. the total comes to $49.875.

The complete program provides 200 hours of flight time and 200 hours of ground instruction. You get time in the R-22 (60 hours), R-44 (37.5 hours), Schweizer 300 (75 hours), and FlyIt Simulator (27.5 hours). We quote that at $67,950. Including books, supplies, written tests, checkride fees, Robinson Factory Safety Course, etc. the total comes to $73,165. That cost even includes a hotel and an airline ticket for the Robinson Safety Course. (when I say complete, I mean it...)

The higher price on that second program is due to the R-44 time as well as our including the ATP rating in there, so everything is 100% paid for if you choose to borrow the entire cost of your flight training. Most of our students finish in the 180 hour range, so you may not need all that money. We're pay as you go, so if you don't use it, we'll refund any remaining balance back to the loan company if you borrowed the full cost.

On average, we figure most people will spend $65K to $70K from start to finish.

Fly Safe!

Jason

www.flysummit.com

BTW, I get asked quite often why we offer a basic program with 150 hours... The simple answer is that some schools quote the FAA minimums and we get compared to them. I've had phone calls that went, "but they cost $54,000 and you cost $67,000, you are expensive". Of course they are not comparing apples to apples, thus the creation of the basic program. I tell everyone not to expect to finish in 150 hours, however it is offered if anyone would like to try. :)

The Sfar is set to expire in a year or less. So anything can happen with what Frank ask's the FAA for.

It is set to expire in March, 2008... Don't count on it, considering that Frank actually wanted the SFAR to apply to all helicopters, not just his...

Anyone who has done business with Robinson knows they have zero desire to see the SFAR go away.

The higher price on that second program is due to the R-44 time as well as our including the ATP rating in there,

Jason

www.flysummit.com

Question, as I understand it, and as it states on your website, you need 1,200 hrs to get an ATP, so how is it possible to get it in 200 in your program? I'm not trying to be antagonistic or hostile, just genuinely interested/confused.

Thanks.

Question, as I understand it, and as it states on your website, you need 1,200 hrs to get an ATP, so how is it possible to get it in 200 in your program? I'm not trying to be antagonistic or hostile, just genuinely interested/confused.

Thanks.

You are correct, 1,200 hours are required for the ATP. You'll get your Private, Instrument, Commercial, CFI, and CFII during your first 192.5 hours, the remaining 7.5 hours of time is saved for the ATP at the end of your time as a CFI.

We set aside the money for the ATP, so that you can do training for it, take the written and checkride when you have 1,200 hours, without having to borrow new money, or budget the extra few thousand dollars for it.

We wanted to create a totally complete program that covered everything you'll need through the ATP. Even if you get a job at 1,000 hours, you can come back at 1,200 hours to finish off your ATP. If you move, we'll provide that money to a school near you to do your training for the ATP there.

A number of companies either pay a bonus for having the ATP, or require it, so we built it into the program. Of course some people will prefer to fly that time now to reach 200 hours, and they can if they so choose. At the end of the day, we're a pay-as-you-go program, so you can do what you want with your own money.

How's that for thinking ahead? :)

You are correct, 1,200 hours are required for the ATP. You'll get your Private, Instrument, Commercial, CFI, and CFII during your first 192.5 hours, the remaining 7.5 hours of time is saved for the ATP at the end of your time as a CFI.

We set aside the money for the ATP, so that you can do training for it, take the written and checkride when you have 1,200 hours, without having to borrow new money, or budget the extra few thousand dollars for it.

We wanted to create a totally complete program that covered everything you'll need through the ATP. Even if you get a job at 1,000 hours, you can come back at 1,200 hours to finish off your ATP. If you move, we'll provide that money to a school near you to do your training for the ATP there.

A number of companies either pay a bonus for having the ATP, or require it, so we built it into the program. Of course some people will prefer to fly that time now to reach 200 hours, and they can if they so choose. At the end of the day, we're a pay-as-you-go program, so you can do what you want with your own money.

How's that for thinking ahead? :)

Aaah, I see, cool. Good thinking ahead too! ;)

It is set to expire in March, 2008... Don't count on it, considering that Frank actually wanted the SFAR to apply to all helicopters, not just his...

Anyone who has done business with Robinson knows they have zero desire to see the SFAR go away.

Actually I just came from the factory and heard the word from Frank himself. He is going to try to have the R-44 removed from the SFAR, as he has wanted to do for years, but has no intention of asking for a change to the R-22. So I wouldn't expect the insurance or time requirements to change for the R-22.

Actually I just came from the factory and heard the word from Frank himself. He is going to try to have the R-44 removed from the SFAR, as he has wanted to do for years, but has no intention of asking for a change to the R-22. So I wouldn't expect the insurance or time requirements to change for the R-22.

If Frank succeeds?? Its another plus for using the R44 in a training/ownership environment, i.e.. even more popular than it is now. But, I bet Pathfinder requirements won't change for the R44 PIC???? If they drop the 44 as being required?? Then that would open up some space for 22 pilots at the factory course.

If Frank succeeds?? Its another plus for using the R44 in a training/ownership environment, i.e.. even more popular than it is now. But, I bet Pathfinder requirements won't change for the R44 PIC???? If they drop the 44 as being required?? Then that would open up some space for 22 pilots at the factory course.

Just one more reason to drop Pathfinder Insurance...

• 6 years later...

I have a question/possibly unique situation for the group. I am an AH-64D pilot who will be going to the Army instructor pilot course next week and upon completion will be able to add a CFI rating to my license. I have well over 550 hours TT with 425 of that in helicopters "all turbine" Would I be hire able by a local flight school near my next duty station in Colorado?

I have a question/possibly unique situation for the group. I am an AH-64D pilot who will be going to the Army instructor pilot course next week and upon completion will be able to add a CFI rating to my license. I have well over 550 hours TT with 425 of that in helicopters "all turbine" Would I be hire able by a local flight school near my next duty station in Colorado?

Get some time in an S300 and,...maybe?

• 3 weeks later...

If you're going to be in Colorado I would be talking to Dennis at Colorado Heli-Ops...ask him that question.