CA people check in.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP....Don't know if the LA area was being hit as hard weather wise as Northern California, but it was like a mini hurricane basically north of Fresno to the Oregon border yesterday/night.

I live 20 miles North of this location, weather was nice last night...cold..but nice. I pray I dont know this soul...thanks for the text messages guys !!

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

I live 10 miles North of this location, weather was nice last night...cold..but nice. I pray I dont know this soul...thanks for the text messages guys !!

Goldy

UPDATE. Here is a better link with more info. The pilot was flying from EMT to TOA and power lines were involved at some point.

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-choppercrash,0,5153019.story

Rotor 91..it would be nice to hear from ya...I left you a voicemail !

Edited by Goldy

UPDATE. Here is a better link with more info. The pilot was flying from EMT to TOA and power lines were involved at some point.

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-choppercrash,0,5153019.story

Rotor 91..it would be nice to hear from ya...I left you a voicemail !

I heard him on 02 making position reports several minutes before I heard the L.A. ships looking for the crash scene. I believe it was a JJ Helicopters ship (5JJ).

I'm here, saw the crash last night during Breaking News. Not sure if there are power lines that low to the ground in the area of Century Blvd, or that cross the 110 frwy at the intersection?? I know there's a power antenna, but not too sure of this or where it's located. I'll check on my way to work on Monday, and let you know. He must have been just over 100 agl if he did in fact hit lines. Article said he wasn't in contact with anyone either, but you have to be with LAX heli in that area, or he was switching over to Hawthorne freq, but not sure. It was clear last night, I know that, so again not jumping to any conclusions. If he was coming back from El Monte, not sure why he would go that way, because you can bypass the LAX airspace if you head SSW from El Monte, only airspace you'd hit would be Compton, then switch over to Torrance? We'll probably never know. At that time of night, most airports you're talking on the common airport freq, because most ATC is closed at that time in this area, except LAX of course.

Goldy & Brush, ya still waiting for some additional funds to start back up again, I'm leaning towards LB Helicopters too. I'll keep you posted.

R91

Rob

Glad your ok Goldy, now just waiting to hear from Rotor91 now....... You guys where the first I thought of when I saw this a few minutes ago.

EC

Were you up at that time, or listening on a handheld? How was the weather? Seemed clear last night, with broken clouds at the coast, but a bit better I bet inland??

Did you hear the 5JJ callsign? I think that's JJ's only 22, but not 100% sure on that.

R91

Rob

I heard him on 02 making position reports several minutes before I heard the L.A. ships looking for the crash scene. I believe it was a JJ Helicopters ship (5JJ).

EC

Were you up at that time, or listening on a handheld? How was the weather? Seemed clear last night, with broken clouds at the coast, but a bit better I bet inland??

Did you hear the 5JJ callsign? I think that's JJ's only 22, but not 100% sure on that.

R91

Rob

I was up at the time and it was clear, the lowest cloud layer was 3K or higher. I could see downtown L.A. from the O.C. I heard his call sign (5JJ) a few times on 02. One of the L.A. ships mentioned they heard him talking to LAX Heli, and that he had been cleared to transition at or below 500. By the time we landed, the news was over, so the only info I had was what I was overhearing on 02.

Not sure if there are power lines that low to the ground in the area of Century Blvd, or that cross the 110 frwy at the intersection?? I know there's a power antenna, but not too sure of this or where it's located.

The lines run over the 110 at 98th at around 250 AGL, the link: http://cbs2.com/local/Plane.Helicopter.Crash.2.638466.html

has a video of the scene that shows them.

Mike

Mike

I was talking to Goldy earlier today on the phone, and he said the same thing!

EC,

Sounds like it was JJ. I did check the flight line at Torrance around 4pm, and did not see 5JJ.

BUT, 5JJ was JJ's R-22. Eerie that you heard the pilot on OH-2! That transition is usually at or below 900, and you make the freq change at Centruy for the Hawthorne/110 transition.

EC, PM me when you have time!

R.I.P. and condolences to the family and friends of the pilot!

R91

Rob

The lines run over the 110 at 98th at around 250 AGL, the link: http://cbs2.com/local/Plane.Helicopter.Crash.2.638466.html

has a video of the scene that shows them.

Mike

Hey...

I did my PPL over at JJ helicopters.. Was there for about a year and a half. My instructor there was Nobuyuki, and I ended up getting my license November 9th.... I knew of the helicopter crash because a friend told me it was on the news.. But I didn't think anything of it.. However, I got an email from Jeff telling me that it was JJ's helicopter. I checked some pictures, and I can almost 100% gurantee it was JJ's N705JJ. The color is very easy to recognize because of the trim on it. One of the above pictures has a green/torquise-blueish with a kinda orange/wanna-be gold color on it... That was 5JJ's color. I did about 10 hours or so in this R22. I did my last solo cross country in it, and my checkride in it. I will be calling the chief flight instructor at JJ and talking to her, to see who was in the helicopter. They got a few new CFI's, and I got to meet them.. I am pretty nervous to know who was in it, and I hope to god whomever it was will Rest in Peace. When I speak to her, I will let you guys know what I know.

As an FYI I did most of my training in 702JJ, a Blue R22 with yellow trim color on it. I flew it and then it was overhauled. About a week before it was overhauled JJ received 705JJ (704JJ had been taken by someone else). 702JJ was not due to be back into JJ until about another month, so 705JJ was their only R22. They have 703JJ as well, a big red R44.

Thanks for contacting me jeff to make sure I am ok. A bit shaken up, and pretty nervous to find out who the pilot was... I will let you all know.

RIP, and the rest of you, please fly safe.

Jessica

I have been off the forum for the last month as I made the big move from LA to Las Vegas. First thing I see is the recent accident. It's very sad and prayers go out to the pilot and family. I have a lot of friends in the community and it's always sad when something like this happens.

JD

Hey JD, hope things are well in Vegas.

The Daily Breeze is now reporting that this was a rental, and not being flown by an employee of JJ.

Here's a link to the latest.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_8087202

Hey JD, hope things are well in Vegas.

The Daily Breeze is now reporting that this was a rental, and not being flown by an employee of JJ.

Here's a link to the latest.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_8087202

I flew at JJ for my PPL. I flew in 705JJ and I am going to call the chief flight instructor and ask her what on earth happened. I will let you guys know when I find out.