R44 loses tail and keeps on chugging

Goldy

Not sure of the details yet, but apparently this guy hit the tail rotor into a pole, severing the last foot or so of the tailboom off, and somehow got it back on the ground. The 44 doesnt even look damaged, not even a smile on its skids...its just missing a tailrotor.

Luck or skill, thats a hell of a landing. (not so sure about hitting a fixed object though!)

Goldy

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../NEWS/803180317

Gotta love the ignorant media.....

"...saw the helicopter teeter back and forth in the air before it landed with a crash on the runway. But he said it appeared the pilot, who has not been identified, kept control the entire time."

There's no way he was more than few feet off the ground at that fuel pit.....hit the pole, and lowered the collective or chopped the throttle to stop the spin. See the t/r laying on the ground in front of that airplane?

It was probably a good thing he had already that fueled. Because, two people up front, low on fuel, and a NO TAIL would have created a major nose low CG issue.

Could have been a lot worse.....good reaction to a major screw up though.

Can someone explain to me why 45 gal of fuel leaked out of this helicopter? Does every robinson incident end up with a major fuel spill and its just the lucky ones that dont ignite?

I was kinda curious about that too.... the only thing I came up with is the flex coupling near the transmission failed due to the shock of the tail strike. That might lead to a drive shaft still spinning just an inch or two from the fuel tanks....really just a guess at this point.

OK, I take it all back, I dont want to be flying anywhere near this guy ! This link has a better photo ( even though they call the R44 Raven a 2 seater!). You can see the light pole and where the main rotor struck it, which spun the ship around so the tail rotor could take a whack at it. Between a main rotor strike and a tail rotor strike, I would guess that driveshaft separated from the flex coupling and spun around into the fuel tanks, which only reside a few inches away. http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/March08/...cc-18Mar08.html

Of course, maybe he was just moving it from the fuel pit back to the hangar....then he wouldnt even have to report it to the NTSB !!

I can read it now on Ebay....

For sale- R44 RAVEN, new tail assembly, new -4 blades. This one is ready to fly !!

Edited by Goldy

Of course, maybe he was just moving it from the fuel pit back to the hangar....then he wouldnt even have to report it to the NTSB !!

If it's off the ground, that's flying.....and it has to be reported. A mechanic or refueler can't hop in the helicopter and *fly* it from the pit to hangar without a pilot's certificate, so it's a real flight.

I think the only exceptions are ground taxing an airplane (or wheeled helicopter I suppose) with the sole intention of relocating it without breaking ground. Even then, if it's 135, the feds are going to be involved.

Either way--in the ground or air--it's an accident or incident. It's easier to argue it down to an incident if it's on the ground with no intention of flight.

You can report incidents through FSS.....here's the link to read some of them: http://www.faa.gov/data_statistics/acciden...eliminary_data/

If it's off the ground, that's flying.....and it has to be reported.

OK, its a sticky point. IF it were an airplane and he was moving it from the fuel pit to the hangar and he crashed it would not meet the definition of an accident and would NOT have to be reported ( 49CFR 830.2) ( No INTENTION of flight)

If it was a helo with wheels on it, and you were taxiing on the ground, same thing.

I guess its a bit of a stretch with an R44 and skids...Its kinda hard to move a helo even a foot off the ground without "flying" it...so your stuck.

I had my FW brain on...or it was late, or I was heavily intoxicated....maybe both, when I wrote that!

Goldy

If it was a helo with wheels on it, and you were taxiing on the ground, same thing.

I guess its a bit of a stretch with an R44 and skids...Its kinda hard to move a helo even a foot off the ground without "flying" it...so your stuck.

I had my FW brain on...or it was late, or I was heavily intoxicated....maybe both, when I wrote that!

Goldy

just taxi it with the skids on the ground. is that flight?? :blink: